Brian K Woodward

Vantech H3 roof rack - solve my noise issue or buy it from me

I bought the vantech H3 (3 bars) roof rack from Eurocampers.com and installed it a few weeks ago.  The wind noise was pretty loud at freeway speeds, so I bought the rubber inserts and end caps to see if that would help.  It cut down the noise pretty well below 50 mph, but my wife can't stand the noise at freeway speeds.

Any ideas on how to cut it back even more?  Or would anyone be interested in a very gently used (never had any weight on it) roof rack?

I almost bought that rack! Need to carry kayaks. Ended up getting the Topper rack but it's not nere yet.

Oval bars like the H3 normally don't make noise. I also thought it came with the inserts and end caps free. You can install a wind fairing, that works the best. There are other DIY methods you can try. Google rack noise and you'll find a bunch for Yakima racks since round bars are way worse. I'm worried about that with the Topper.

The easiest method involves just wrapping nylon rope around the bar with some spacing. Ever see a car antena with the spiral wire wrapped around it? That stops the whistle on an antenna. Same thing with rack bars, you're trying to disrupt the airflow.

What are you carrying? Maybe move the front bar back from the very front mount.

Brian - did you fix the issue?  I installed my Topper rack over the weekend.  It was LOUD!!  Above 30 MPH it sounded like a low roar and at highway speed sounded like I was sitting inside a tornado.  Highly annoying to say the least.  

I did the rope/bungee trick.  Wrapped a long bungee around the front bar to test and it worked.  I didnt have a single bungee long enough so took the two off and put on a spiral of 5/8" Nylon dock line rope.  90% of the noise is now gone.  I can still hear a little rumble from up there but not bad at all.  I may add the bungee down the road just so I have one handy if needed but the rope works fine.  

ASD Dad, can you post an image of the rack installed?  Thanks

ASD Dad, your suggestion worked.  Noise level is almost back to what it was without the rack.  Right now I've got two short bungee cords hooked together but will work on a permanent solution later.

Thanks for your help. 

ASD Dad, your suggestion worked.  Noise level is almost back to what it was without the rack.  Right now I've got two short bungee cords hooked together but will work on a permanent solution later.

Thanks for your help. 

Awesome!  I had the two hooked bungees as well until I did the rope.  It's nice to have extra bungees available up there but make sure to check them if you do use them.  Being out in the sun, water and elements breaks down the elastic quickly.  Dock rope that I used is made to be in the sun and wet constantly without breaking down.

That rope trick is very old.  Ever since Yakima got big people wanted to know how to stop the roar or whistles.  Car manufacturers do the exact same thing, including on our NV's!  Just look at your radio antenna.  There is a spiral of wire wrapped around it.  All that does is break up air flow so the antenna doesnt whistle going down the road.

ASD Dad, can you post an image of the rack installed? Thanks

Quick shots

post-1016-0-75373100-1463082958_thumb.jpg

post-1016-0-40420900-1463083017_thumb.jpg

Thanks.  Looks good