Sign in to follow this  
ClCmc

Ruff idle at stop light when air I'd on.

So my NV 1500 I have used as a work van for 2 years . And yes I have put 89k on it in that time. It started to idle ruff when stopping. So I sprayed sea foam spray in the throttle body to clean it, and bam runs like new. But the check engine light is on. Hope it resets after I get some miles on it.

Go get the code pulled for free at any autoparts store and see what the CEL is for.  Takes minutes and costs nothing vs. hoping it goes away.  Could be anything from a vacuum leak to something worse.  

I've never used seafoam on a modern car engine.  Used it forever on small engines or boat engines.

Welcome. Great to have another "commercial" user to put the NV through its motions. Too few on this site...

If it is a 2014, you still have your warranty; have your Nissan dealer do this if convenient. No problem having an auto parts store pulling the code but they won't delete it. Also check the Nissan Frontier forum for rough idling.

Awhile back, Mc2guy had the camshaft sensor on his V8 go wonky and some other things go very wrong. The dealer he ended up being towed to had 2 V6 NVs on the lot with similar problems. Not saying this is your issue, but the Titan V8 forum discussed this, difficult to start and rough, for older V8s. Part of the problem was due to poor placement of the sensor, which made it easy for fluids to cause the sensor to malfunction. The only fix was to replace the sensor.

Wouldn't you know... Driving to an REI sale in our '05 VW tdi, the check engine light came on with a "emission workshop" message. No problem, I have a reader and will check it later. Later, I checked the manual to see what this message was and to find where to plug the reader in when I couldn't find it. It is supposed to just to the right of the hood release. No problem, the hole was there and nothing but air. Oh well, time to take it to our mechanic anyway. CV boots need to be checked and probably be replaced. Desert heat does a number on these... NEVER MIND. I had to wait for some shade, too hot to kneel on the ground. I found the plug in where they said it was. Coolant sensor. Cleared it to see if it trips again. Sufficient coolant but will watch temp. Still need to get the CV boots checked...

Edited by radin2son

VW's are notorious for coolant temp sensors , get it replaced , it will send erroneous signal to ecu & gauge , make the ecu think the motor is doing something it's not , and can lead to other issue's.

'Just say'in ! :)

Glenn