Sign in to follow this  
Sebastian

Currently in the market.

My family of 7 is currently in the market for a passenger van and we are hoping to use this forum as a resource as we consider the available options out there!

Thanks,

Sebastian

Welcome. As you evaluate available vans, let us know the pros and cons of each as well as the reason for your final choice.

To my knowledge, no print/web publication has done a head to head comparison of vans. If you should find an onjective one post the link.

That said, Truck Trend has done long term tests of the 2012 NV and 201? Sprinter cargo vans. They may have done similar long term tests of the Transit and Promaster cargo vans. Their long term test are more objective than truck of the year.

If number of vans on the road and dealerships with vans on the lot mean the "best" van, then it would the Transit. I don't think anyone here thinks that.

Everyone is interested in mpg to the point of obsession, but ignore that. The curb weight of. NVP is about the same as our camperized V8 NV. Add your party of 7 plus gear and it probably adds up to what we carry in our non-daily driver. We have averaged roughly 15.4 mpg over 58,000 miles. Our last trip was 16.2mpg over 1200 miles in 100*+ weather, at altitudes of 4-8000' with short sections of 12-14% gradients. We do not tow but have the tow package that was an option in 2012. Truck Trend's cargo NV averaged 14+ mpg.

Edited by radin2son

Thanks for such great info. I have posted a rather lengthy set of question on the general forum. You've covered a lot of good info and I appreciate you mentioning the mpg, I am sure I would have spent a while dwelling on that but it sounds like it's a lot less of a big deal that I had thought.

We are considering the NV, and Transit, and have likely ruled out the GM options, they seem pretty stale, but we are open at this point. We've got a little time so we want to make the most informed descision possible.

Welcome and good luck with your search. There are six of us and we traded our Sienna for NVP and this was one of the best decisions we made. We weren't sure of our daughter (who does not like large vehicles--she doesn't like to ride in my Tundra) but she seems to love this van the most. We did our share of research and came to like it much more than we expected. It is very comfortable and easy to drive and seems to be built to last a long time.

www.trucktrend.com has just posted a Ford sponsored video for the Transit Passenger Wagon. Vicarious shopping for some or just curiosity?

15.5 mpg per the new owners or 14 city/18 hwy/16 combined per Ford.

Edited by radin2son