Sign in to follow this  
klausvanwinkle

Why Choose Nissan NV over Ford Econoline?

With all the heritage of the Ford Econoline and Chevy Express, what made you decide to take a chance on the your Nissan? I'm not trolling. I'm honestly looking for honest opinions. 

Good question.....No van is going to get the latest and greatest, most innovative and groundbreaking technology and comfort thrown at it. It's a segment based much more on utility and business than personal comfort. We owned a Savana, and my brother has an Econoline, so comparing was easy. The other vans are just much older platforms, especially the Ford, and it's totally obvious behind the wheel. The NV feels more rigid, less squeaky, brakes and steers better, and is just built to a tougher standard. The only other option I had was the Transit, and the lack of any real towing made the NV a no-Brainer for us.

Drove Ford and Chevy Cargo vans for 30 years and the overall difference in all aspects is literally night and day.

Nissan originally set out to redesign the full size van for the North America market and in my opinion knocked it out of the park!

Everything about the NV is heavy duty and well thought out, Ford and Chevy's old designs were just that regurgitated year after year with zero interest given to people that drove them day after day because there were no competitors.

I started researching this van 6 months prior to it originally being released I believe in 2010.

Unless there is long term reliability issues down the road, I wouldn't even consider another manufacturers van.

If you're seriously in the market, hope this helps.

We've had ours for 6 months and it is the best move we've made.... even coming from having a GMC Yukon Denali XL. We have 5 kids now 6 and under, and the ease of entry/exit, storage, towing capability, looks (looks bitchin IMO), and ease of working on it made it a no brainier for us.

I'm handy and do most all of my vehicle work, so having a normal hood was way better than the motor being tucked in under with limited access.

It also tows our 30' travel trailer great!

When I was researching vans, Nissan seems to have much less mechanical issues than the competitors. Reliability was the most important factor for me. x2 on everything being heavy-duty. 

These are the reasons I figured. Thanks for the input!

Edited by klausvanwinkle

Where Is your "on average" NV owners data from?

And you are not a troll? I'm surprised anyone responded as your comparisons ended with the 2014 demise of the Econoline.

My Savana didn't cause me complete grief, but it definitely needed more upkeep than I'd expect a VERY HIGH mileage NV to require. No doubt whatsoever. We sold it at 140,000 miles, and by that time I had replaced multiple wheel bearings, AC lines, water pumps, the side door hinges needed constant attention to keep the from binding, leaky passenger door, brakes that couldn't stop it (even with the best pads possible), and the blown transmission was the last straw.

I'm sure they've improved since 2004, but like other people have said, it's still basically the same van, with GM putting extremely little effort into making improvements.

The real question you should be asking is, how did my life become so hollow that I receive pleasure by trolling a friendly site with the sole intent of belittling others buying decision.  My advice to you is buy a Ford or Chevy and drive it DIRECTLY to therapy.  Still waiting on the source for your "on average" statement.   

Decided to delete my last post.   

Edited by KMG

It also seems like the Nissan NV line is a little more "truckish" and heavy duty than the newer competitors. The Sprinters and Transits only come with a V6. The Ram is front wheel drive. Neither are great at towing. Plus the NV-line actually has a hood which looks more truckish and seems to make some maintenance easier. 

Klaus, your last post does not tell us anything we on this forum don't already know, it has been well published in print and online and it is very obvious to prospective buyers.

That said, where is the data or link to support your assertion "that on average NV owners seem to see their vans as less reliable and trust them less than Ford and Chevy owners." Until you provide this, your posts are simply not useful.

Then again, trolls love to exact a toll. Time to get back under the bridge.

I received a PM from Klaus telling me he is writing a NV ad campaign and wanted to know why we liked NV's  The whole PM was BS!  Hey Klaus You have had time to PM me and post but just haven't had the time to post the source of your "that on average NV owners seem to see their vans as less reliable and trust them less than Ford and Chevy owners." line of crap?  What ad agency are you with?  My uncle is an ad executive in Detroit.  He's known for creating the Marlboro Man and is currently managing GM's Cadillac division and McDonald's corporate ads.  I'll ask him about the agency you "write" for.  

Edited by KMG

KMG, does this mean you delete the delete message? I suggest we all ignore Klaus until he can provide the data/link to his assertion...

Otherwise, his toll is giving credence to his posts. Not going to happen. Klaus, stay under the bridge.

Klaus, your last post does not tell us anything we on this forum don't already know, it has been well published in print and online and it is very obvious to prospective buyers.

That said, where is the data or link to support your assertion "that on average NV owners seem to see their vans as less reliable and trust them less than Ford and Chevy owners." Until you provide this, your posts are simply not useful.

Then again, trolls love to exact a toll. Time to get back under the bridge.

Strategic Vision - 

2015 New Vehicle Experience Study: Feb. Release - Oct '14-Sep '15 Buyers

I'm not sure if it's a free, public report or not. But it's one of the data points the manufacturers use to find out how people feel about their and competitors' vehicles. The survey doesn't say that one model is more reliable than the other. It's just a survey of owners and their perception of their vehicle's reliability. 

I can see how you all might think I'm trolling, especially with my 0 previous posts. But I had to play a little bit of devil's advocate to ask the initial question. I'm not here to bash NVs. I quite like them. Wanted some insights about why you all chose the NV since Ford and Chevy still control 80+% of the market despite the NV seeming like a superior product. Through post #6 was super helpful. Thank you to those who responded. I amended the post that was considered "trolling."

Edited by klausvanwinkle

Klaus, nice try.

Nothing readily available regarding commercial vans by googling Strategic Vision etc. You found the data, so provide the direct link, or if you are connected with Strategic Vision, be upfront about it.

Some on this forum did receive a survey, perhaps from Strategic Visions. Did you see these posts and go with that to generate 2 initial posts, "take a chance" and "less reliable" that are skewed in the negative.

Klaus, nice try.

Nothing readily available regarding commercial vans by googling Strategic Vision etc. You found the data, so provide the direct link, or if you are connected with Strategic Vision, be upfront about it.

Some on this forum did receive a survey, perhaps from Strategic Visions. Did you see these posts and go with that to generate 2 initial posts, "take a chance" and "less reliable" that are skewed in the negative.

Link is in my response.

The majority of Nissan NV owners are commercial owners not individual owners. And most individual owners are probably not enthusiasts. So my guess would be that the people not giving it as high of marks are probably business owners who used Fords and Chevys for years but bought Nissans because of the better warranty or lower starting price. And haven't had them long enough to really have an educated opinion.

The data I've seen is more in line with what you all are saying. They seems pretty darn reliable. The numbers in this report from Truck Trend rival or exceed Land Cruiser levels of reliability. 

nissan-nv3500-infographic.jpg

Edited by klausvanwinkle

Just a quick note, I'm an individual NV owner, using it for personal, family use, and I'm a huge automotive enthusiast.

Klaus, You found the data, so why not publish it?

There is just something odd about your phrasing, your comparisons and conclusions. Why would NV reliability ever be compared to that of a Land Cruiser? Maybe you are just an "enthusiast" who likes trucks?

No data? I'm done.

Just ignore this thread unless you're bored...  

ASD Dad, Fair comment.

But what about surveys? Consumer Reports addresses relisbilty (commercial vans?) over time, while others are more focused on the individual buying experience and will you buy another...

Surveys and commercial users? I've seen Chris_cm working the phones and would bet he and the service department (quick, routine maintenance) are all a business owner needs. If there are unresolved problems or too much down time, the business owner won't bother with a survey. He'll be gone.

Is this crazy or boredom? We haven't heard from Rick in awhile, but he was still driving his NV. Is it parked next to his Sprinter?

FYI, I traded in my Tahoe (which I loved) for the Nissan and wouldn't EVER go back. The reliability from my experience is so superior with the Nissan that it makes me smile. Yes, the gas blows in the Nissan and it would be a nice luxury to have 4x4 but the build quality and lack of issues is a glad trade off from my experience Also, to answer the original question as posted, the Nissan was a no brainier for us because of the looks, headrests, leather, height, and power to tow. Until the Transit, the headrests weren't there for the ford and we didn't care to own a newer untested product (and we also aren't a fan of the ecoboost for reliability); the sprinter is a sweet ride but too high for our garage, we do short trips and didn't think a diesel was needed, and the cabin noise seemed much greater, and of course towing wasn't there and price was much higher. I actually haven't had a single issue whatsoever with the Nissan and it's a real attention grabber as well bc it's relatively still unknown. While I'm sure that many people are somewhat biased to what they own, I can fully recommend the NVP. Actually, for the price of a loaded minivan these days I'm shocked that there aren't more of these on the road (perhaps the advertising side of the commercial line is really lacking?). I must say though the high top cargo is really ugly from my perspective and it wasn't until I saw a black passenger vehicle that I said- that's awesome. Cheers!

NVP, Knowing what you wanted in a van and selecting a NV was not "taking a chance."

Wow! I have been away for a while and it is good to see passion in a owners forum. I have seen it time and again that trollers start stuff in other forums then go back to their own forum sites to have a good laugh with their fellow members. Don't let them have the satisfaction. Not worth it. We chose the rigs we have for personal and business choices. Mine happens to be size, horse power and torque, towing ability, and warranty. Love the van and it makes a great camping platform. It is solid and feels solid when using it for work or play. I am happy every time I get into it. The truck front is far superior to the vans I test drove and my feet fit without any problems. 800 mile trips are a breeze! 

Don't play into any of this BS. Enjoy your vans and let Klaus go bother others. Have a great day Y'all.