KMG

Tire Update

I have 15,500 miles on my Goodyear Duratracs.  They have performed well in snow, rain, off road mud, and river gravel.  They are becoming noticeably louder at highway speed.  Wear is even across the tread with rotation every 3,000 miles.

How are other's tires performing?

This would be helpful... So far I've seen posts for Cooper, Hankook, Nitto.

There was a NV review of the OEM tire that was still going strong at 87k. (There were other truck owners who were getting less than 20k. Go figure.)

I'll measure the tread depth of our OEM Firestones sometime soon, but we're at 30,000 miles and I'd say they still have more than that to go yet. Granted, actual miles on those tires is probably closer to ~25,000 miles since I switch to winter tires when the snow flies, but we do much more driving in the warm months, for sure.

So far I'm pleased with their wear, ride, road noise, and stability.....

I also am happy with the Firestone OEM tires at 58k+ mi. Our NV left the Canton facility in late 2011 so they are up for replacement due to age, not just tread wear. There may be some cracking on the sidewalls around the stamped tire info, but this may only be cosmetic.

I plan to replace them at 60k, most likely with the same tire. Debating whether to go to the AT version in case we end up on wet, slick dirt roads. So far we haven't.

According to the Firestone site, Discount Tire will be selling these tires. Convenient for us.

I estimate I'll get 45,000 miles out of the Duratracs.  I'll go with an AT tire next time. 

I have 5000 miles on my Hankook Dynapro AT-M tires.  Love them for the most part.  They are much squirmier than the stock Firestones and the first 500-1000 miles they felt greasy on the road.  I didnt like that but expected the squirm due to the large tread blocks.

BUT - they are very quiet so far, they have waaaay better off road and wet traction and that is where we needed the help.  So far so good.  The stock Firestones were downright horrible on anything wet off road, especially the clay soil we have down South.  It was like being on wet ice.  The AT-M's have had much better traction in the same conditions.  

With the Firestones I actually had to get towed out of a spot.  I was on wet grass/clay and ended up getting stuck.

ASD Dad, Are you getting close to 10k on your tires? I am considering these but reviews on the Hankook site say they get very noisy around 10-15k. Tread wear is minimal at 10k, but they will not buy them again due to the noise.

I have over 10K miles on my tires now.  They are not noisy at all that I can tell.  They are also no longer squirmy, or I am just used to the extra tread block squirm.  For the first 500+ miles they felt very greasy and I honestly hated them.  Once they broke in they have been fine ever since.  I have been in wet clay, sand and loose gravel and they have done very well for all three.  In small gravel they can grab rocks but they all do.  I would by them again and I am happy I went with them over the BFG's.  They were quite a bit cheaper and I think are just as nice.  We've had good luck with Hankook tires in the family which is why I tried them, well that and mostly good reviews online.  

Thanks.

I agree; they are certainly cheaper than other brands.

Discount Tire reviews shared your view for the most part.

Edited by radin2son

rad - we had a fantastic weekend outside with nice warm temps so I had my windows down and radio off to listen for any tire humming or abnormal noise.  Nothing at all.  Definitely do not hum like a big mud tire but I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary whatsoever.  I do rotate my tires and keep them properly inflated at all times.  

I know lots of tires will get noisier as the tread blocks wear down but my tread blocks are still huge!  That is with several 1000+ mile tows on them as well.  

I may have this wrong, but it appears they are not as aggressive as some AT tires and are good on the highway and maintained gravel roads, or clay roads in your neighborhood. Looks like they will be a good choice for us. I believe Bamps also plans to put them on his NV based on past use.

Thanks for the audible test.

I know you changed out the spare as well, and I'm considering doing this. Our van was built in late 2011, so the spare will soon, if not already, be 6 years old. Tire manufacturers consider 6 years the limit, but the spare may be serviceable for 10 years. I would hate to have a flat miles from nowhere with a spare that old.

When you put the ATm on the spare, did the wheel match the others, or is it black? Our wheels are "painted" silver and I suspect the spare wheel is black. Even so it would be reassuring to have 5 new, similar tires

Edited by radin2son

I am about 90% sure the spare was a black steel wheel.  I know it definitely didnt have the chrome hubcap on it like my factory wheels.  

Spares can last longer mainly due to being out of the sun.  Direct sunlight oxidizes the rubber and can lead to dry rot and cracking.  That is why RV companies tell you to cover your tires in while the RV is just sitting in storage if outside.  

I've always done the spare to match just so that it does match completely.  I dont want a different sized tire on my spare, depending on how far off the size is it can lead to all sorts of computer issues with the vehicle when you try and drive!  These are really close to stock rolling diameter but I still want them all to match.  

BTW - I dont have clay roads in my neighborhood!  Paved asphalt roads just like most roads.  My camper used to be parked on a small parking pad and I had to drive over part of my lawn to get it.  When it's dry the clay is like concrete and I didnt even put grooves in the lawn.  Once wet forget about it.  It's soft, squishy and slippery as wet ice.  I got stuck once when my NV sank a few inches and just spun tires helplessly.  Tow hooks worked great!  Second time I got stuck was at a campground, also on wet clay and pulling my camper out.  That is when I knew I would be changing tires soon.  I've been in clay again since changing and the tires really grab and throw the clay out.  Still lots of slipping but I managed to get moving.  

They've been more than adequate on gravel roads, even climbing moderate grades on gravel.  They even did OK on soft sand but I wouldnt try a beach with them unless I had 4WD!  

Driven on lots of paved roads in your state... however, didn't know the details of your wheel spin.

Thanks for your help.

The more I research the less inclined I want to buy the AT-m tires. Consumer reports has reviews of the noice level increasing at 15k. One reviewer suggested the problem was that the softer, grippier compound wore off and the harder compound was noisier. Another reviewer said live with it; it's an AT tire after all.

Now looking at Nitto and Falken... Firestone still in the mix along with the new Michelin LT tire. Maybe Presidents' Day will bring some good deals.

Edited by radin2son

Good luck. I'll update if it changes but even if it does they're cheap enough vs others that can possibly be noisy that I won't care!

I had Michelin LT M/S2 tires on my Tundra. Fastest wearing tire ever other than my old race tires. I actually got a set replaced under warranty when they were at the wear bars at 32k miles! They were like Blizzak snow tires on dry pavement. I swear you could see them wear week to week. We had those tires on my wife's old Highlander and she got an easy 70k miles and they still had tread. I talked to a friend who works at Michelin (they're based minutes from me) and he rolled his eyes when I told him about my woes. Told me they were never meant for HD use other than possibly snow or maybe slick mud. Towing just sped things up for me. He blamed Michelin marketing and said they're a wonderful passenger or crossover tire, and they are.

Anyway, take reviews with a grain of salt and try and find sites that list the vehicle used. A guy using MS2 on a Honda Fit may rave about them and get 100k miles. Guy with them on a F350 may hate them and get a year out of them.

Honestly there are probably very few "bad" choices these days other than uber cheap off brands.

EDIT:  Rad - hope I didnt come off sounding like a jerk above.  I was typing that right after I found out USPS had lost a $5000 package I shipped out!  Thankfully they located it after I called repeatedly.   

My point is, when you read reviews - even from somebody like CR - you dont know the circumstances.  At least CR will have an aligned, inflated, rotated tire to test.  Did the people reviewing?  You dont know.  It's one thing to have a lot of people rating a tire bad.  (BFG Rugged Trails are one of those - the old OEM on Tundras, just a bad tire)  If it's a small percentage then you need to weigh if the risk is worth it.  Almost all AT tires will get louder as they wear due to the reason you stated.  The softer mud/snow/dirt compound is gone and the hard wear compound is left.  Tire noise is more related to tread block design and spacing than compound though.  

Even at a discount over other brands buying 4 or 5 Hankooks still isnt cheap.  Just cheaper than some of the others!  I got my best deal buying through my commercial dealer.  They had the buy 3 get one 1 free promo going and they beat the OTD price of the local tire dealers even buying 5.  

Edited by ASD Dad

I had Michelin LT M/S2 tires on my Tundra. Fastest wearing tire ever other than my old race tires. I actually got a set replaced under warranty when they were at the wear bars at 32k miles! They were like Blizzak snow tires on dry pavement. I swear you could see them wear week to week. We had those tires on my wife's old Highlander and she got an easy 70k miles and they still had tread. I talked to a friend who works at Michelin (they're based minutes from me) and he rolled his eyes when I told him about my woes. Told me they were never meant for HD use other than possibly snow or maybe slick mud. Towing just sped things up for me. He blamed Michelin marketing and said they're a wonderful passenger or crossover tire, and they are.

Interesting.  I have Michelin LT M/S2 tires on my F150 and they are great.  Did you have the P rated versions?  Mine are LT tires.  And I tow a 7,000 lb Airstream.  Coincidentally, I have the same tires on that too.

They were the P rated since when I bought them I was only towing a small Pop Up camper.  I was still well within their rated capacity even after getting a bigger camper, I just had to max them out at 44 psi (I think) to get rid of sidewall flex.  

The Michelin employee I talked to said the AT/2 tires was much better suited for heavier vehicles vs. the M/S 2.  He only recommended those if you knew you would need snow traction but even then the siping that helps so much in the snow wears quickly.  

We absolutely loved the tires on our Highlander which is why I bought them for the Tundra.  My first set were toast at 32K miles and my second set were visibly worn at 20K miles when I traded it in on the NVP.  

Don't worry about it. You respond/follow up unlike many who seek help etc.

Michelin has replaced the MS-2 with Destiny. Supposed to be a better tire, but maybe not for HD use. They are $100 off this weekend.

I found only 2 tire reviews by NV owners. For the life of me I can't remember where or what tire.

Fortunately I'm not pressed to get tires just for a sale price. Nice, if I find the right tire.

Well whatever you end up with - review it!  I found very few reviews with NV owners so was looking at HD Truck owner reviews.  3/4 Ton and 1 Ton pickups.  I had my choices down to Hankook and BFG K02 which are old school but a good tire.  

I am sure you know your priorities for a new tire now you just need to find it.  There may not be that Goldilocks model and you'll have to decide what you want to compromise on.  

Do not forget, AT tires will have an impact on MPG unless it is a highway biased tread design.  Bigger lugs equals more rolling resistance.  May not be much but it will most likely be something!  

BTW - nice post count number, this last one you just made is #888!  

Edited by ASD Dad

I'll have to retire soon while on top, so when you catch me people won't say "he hung on too long." Maybe I can be poster emeritus?

Oysterandthepearl on instagram has 2 photos; one of her NV stuck in the mud. Heavy snow while waiting for a tow truck. The other is being loaded onto the tow truck. She had a cell phone booster that enabled her to call. I'm trying to avoid that.

Most of our driving is on secondary paved roads with a few side trips on maintained gravel roads. Thanks for the reminder about lower mpg.

Edit: It is Michelin Defender, not destiny, discovery or whatever I was thinking. They still sell LTX MS 2 tires but are special order. Firestone has 2 NV posts; both positive.

Finally able to get through to discount tire web site. Sale email said $100 off "best" tires. Not so, because their idea of best was very expensive AT tires that I would never put on a NV.

Edited by radin2son

Purchased 4 Michelin Defender tires (LT245/70) today. $183 a tire with $100 rebate for 4 "best" tires from Discount Tire. Had them replace the TPMS for $28. (Nissan I believe charges $64.)

Much more aggressive tread than Transforce so these should work fine for us. Transforce had 61110 miles on them. I could see and feel the wear bars and the sidewalls were cracking, so it was time. Replacement would have been $206 a tire. No sales at dealer or from Firestone.

ASD Dad, NVair and KMG, thanks for the feedback. I'll post how they work out...

Edited by radin2son

I replaced my oem Firestone's @ 40k on my 2015 NV3500. I typically go with Michelin but after alot of research I got a set of yokohama Geolandar GO15 AT tires. They have severe service rating which I was wanting for snow. I have almost 8k on them and they have been great on Highway, dirt roads and in snow here in the Colorado Springs and Pueblo area. They are quieter than my old tires which still had 6/32 tread and have much better grip in my experience. I also purchased them at discount tire with a $100 rebate.

Put 1642 miles (11 day trip) on the Michelin Defender tires. Like them so far. No tire noise beyond what you expect on different surfaces. Only issue may be tire wear. Major complaint was only getting 20k. Primarily pickups and SUVs, so don't know how the E rated tires on NVs will wear.

Problem again getting the correct psi. Told Tucson Discount Tire I wanted 50 psi front and 80 psi rear because our van is always fully loaded. Checked TPMS and they were off 5-10 psi. Corrected this at Joshua Tree NP; temp in the 40s.

Had a vibration at 70 mph and Discount Tire on Route 89 in Flagstaff rebalanced them. Had their tire warranty, so no charge. Again, reminded them about the psi. No problem! The next morning (34*), the TPMS warning came on for right front low pressure (40 psi). All tires were again off 5-10 psi. Corrected it...

I initially thought the TPMS may be off but my gauge says it isn't. Low temperature shouldn't be problem. 92* yesterday in Tucson.

stock firestone...at 30K miles...can probably get another 5-10K, but got stuck camping twice in sand which is bs!  time to upgrade to 20's and Nitto Grappler.

I got stuck camping which is why I went to the Hankook AT-M I have now.  They are wider than stock but still 17".  Have had great luck with them in mud and sand.  I looked at 20" wheels and tires and decided tires were enough other than pure looks.