Thomas New

Sliding Door Not Opening From Inside

I bought my van to do a camper conversion and I took it camping and went to open the sliding door and it would not open. The button felt spongy and would not disengage the lock. This happened a few times. Once I made my way into the cab and around the outside of the van the outside handle would open the door no problem. As you can see this is a big problem in a camper where the other doors are much more difficult to use to exit. Has anyone had this happen before? I read online that there is a problem with the contacts on the sliding door so I did the washer fix real quick and it hasn't happened again but I have not been camping again yet. 

Sounds like you may have resolved your problem - time will tell. We sleep in our conversion when traveling and had gotten used to storing flip flops in the side door step well. But we stopped that after one got trapped in the closed door. That little bit of spongelike material made it impossible to open the door. Had to do the crawl around and pull it on out from the outside.

I hope I got it fixed but I personally felt it was a problem with the lower cable moving to much. Who knows. I guess I will just have to see if I got it figured out. 

I've had mine get stuck and not open . It mainly happens when the door is not closed firmly and just barely latched.

I will be going on another trip at the beginning of September. I will make sure I close it firmly and hope it doesn't happen again. So far it hasn't happened again but I haven't been in the back for any length of time yet. 

We had this happen and found two things. First, unless you unlock the doors with the remote or a front door switch the inside latch won't work. Second, get out your owners manual and read the section about using the key to disable the inside locks. Not ideal for a camper, which is how we use ours. I can't figure out why Nissan would even have this feature.

I have a 2012 NV 2500 HD, high roof. Just today there is a loud buzzing sound in the driver door, whenever the van locks itself on takeoff or whenever I lock it with the door switches, or the remote. 
It almost sounds like gears grinding... Any clues what the issue is and how to fix it?

Thanks folks.

This is true for me as well.. i have to slam it hard enough to close the back end or else its hard to open the door from the inside...

What washer fix did you do Thomas?

I was able to fix my door by tightening a cable.  Worth a try.  If you skin the inside of the door and look at the central hub for the latching system, there is only one adjustable cable bracket.  Tighten that one.