David Vincent OfFrance

buying used: what to look for?

I'm looking at an NV from 2012 with very little miles, less than 1,000 miles... it's a high roof with glass windows and what look like factory insulation.

Not the first time I buy a used vehicle so I know generally to be suspicious when it sound too good to be true. I still have to see it in person next week and will ask the usual question about maintenance (?), storage, why so few miles, if recall have been done etc.

Any advice on top of that?

Thanks

Others know more than me but I don't think a high roof was offered with windows.  If they are aftermarket, I'd check for leaks.

I think KMG is correct about the windows - except maybe for a special order.

I'm not aware of any insulation option from the factory. Did someone do such a good job of insulating that it looks OEM?

A window version appears in the forum gallery, airport/hotel limo? KMG, I thought yours was a window van.

If the van is on a lot, perhaps it is a forgotten left over that no one wanted and/or didn't complete the limo build. Is it a V6? I met someone who found a forgotten 2012 low top Sprinter on a lot. Great deal.

The insulation may only be there to deaden sound. I wouldn't worry about it. Just cover it up. If you plan to put your Dirty Wheels logo on the outside, no problem going over the glass.

Low mileage. There is a "new" 2012/13 hightop SMB on a lot in Port Angeles, WA. with slightly higher mileage.

Regarding what to pay? NVs hold their value and Chris_cm has pointed out it is not cost effective to keep used on his lot. People opt for new ones. Then again, this could be one that was impossible to sell. Good luck.

My van came with just the two rear doors with glass.  I installed after market Hehr brand awning style side windows.  Is that SMB NV still in Port Angeles?  I drove by it last September. 

Edited by KMG

It's still there. See it at wilderrv.com . They raised the price about $3000 so they could reduce it by about $8000

KMG, do you have them on both sides? Or was I seeing things?

David, the only downside of all around windows is the loss of wall space to hang things. With bike racks on the inside, that wouldn't be a problem.

You could always add a cabinet/shelf system and ignore the rear side windows similar to VWs, at least the driver's side on older campers.

If you get a good deal on that 2012 you would be able to add the ph. SMB in Fresno probably won't do it...

Thanks all for your answers.

I will be checking the 2012 used one in a few days and will see if it works out. Truth to be said, it's close to a new one that I could finance with Trac lease and forget about the all around windows too...

Ha... choices... :-)

Radin2son,

post-1046-0-54535100-1469477174_thumb.jpgpost-1046-0-56941600-1469477199_thumb.jpg

See, I was only partially seeing things; I thought it started out as a window van and you upgraded the windows. Great look and as is your style, functional.

I keep looking at that space above the slider and think "loft."

David, How is your search going? Have you seen Bee Line Bikes, a mobile bike shop that started in your area? Assuming they are still In this tough business, they have 37 vans touring the country. Vans of choice are Sprinters and Transits. Nice set up, but more than you need to transport bikes and do bike fits.

Are you familiar with www.theradavist.com a great site for all things bike.