Looking to buy some tire chains for our 2016 NVP 3500.  Any suggestions for source/brand/type?

Thanks,

Susan

Am I the only one to have to sign a "Tire Chain Disclosure" form? It states "As equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains..." It then states, see the owners manual for tire traction devices NVs can accommodate. When I signed this form at Dublin Nissan near San Francisco, I scoffed at the need for chains anyway. Little did we know that one month later we would be caught in an early snow stom in Arches. Since then we have been caught in snow in the Yukon and noticed all the chain up areas in the west.

post-376-0-45518900-1470001014_thumb.jpeg

post-376-0-14788900-1470001057_thumb.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

Rad - I dont remember having to sign that form!  Not that we worry about tire chains down here...  There are some traction "chains" that arent really chain, more like nylon webbing with metal spikes for emergency use.  Doubt they'd last long term driving down a road but I cant see driving farther than needed with with chains on either.  I know there are lots of places in the mountains that require chains.  When I lived up North I always had dedicated snows for my vehicles.  Normally ran with studded Hakkas!  

Neither situation involved much snow, but both were followed by 16* temps in early November and late May. Melting snow on the roads turned to ice. The Transforce HT tires were new so there were no problems. Not so new now.

When we lived in Boston, we had dedicated snow tires for our Saab. No reason to go this direction with our NV in AZ, unless we decide to take on winter travel. Too cold for us!

Since we travel in spring and fall, we never know what weather extremes we will encounter. I know I have gone back and forth on this, but looking at those and other photos, tells me it is time to do what you and others have done, go with AT tires.

This won't do anything for the "mandatory chains" and chainup area signs but at least we will have better traction.

Susan,

Your post was a long time ago, but if you're still looking I have used Alpine Sport chains for the past few years with amazing results. They are easy to put on under normal conditions and relatively easy to put on even when you're stuck. I just bought an NV and put on 285/70R17 BFG KO2 tires, now I need to get chains for it. Last year I had to use my chains 15 times, so I have put my chains on and of more than a few times!

http://lacledechain.com/light-truck-and-suvs/alpine-sport-super-sport

I bought my NV3500 in December in northern Utah (home of lots of snow) and didn't have to sign any such form.  In fact, the owner's manual says you can use chains as long as they're class S and you only use them on the rear wheels.  I picked up some Auto-Trac brand chains at Walmart for about $70.  I got the version that has my tire size listed on the box.  It's a snug fit, but they work well.  The chain manufacturer's website suggests a different size.  I don't know which one's better.

Edited by Mark Rogers

The form may be a "some" states or regional chain restriction. Our NV originally was from a Southern California dealer; we bought it from a dealer near San Francisco, but picked it up from the SMB factory in Fresno. Writing the check was easier than figuring out its journey from Canton, Mississippi to us.

No form signing here in Vancouver either. I bought some cheap chains ($150) for my snow tires and have never had to use them. Some roads in the mountains here require them.