Dustin Anderson

Inverter overide

Ahoy everyone, 

I have the stock inverter in my NV. I in preparation for a parade and mounted speakers to the roof tested it and everything worked great. 

The 400 W outlet didn't work during the parade...and therefore no music. 

I just checked the manual and apparently the 400W outlet will only run while the vehicle is in park. 

Does anyone know how to over ride this? 

Thanks. 

Dustin 

Be careful, if your out of warranty that's one thing, be careful.

I believe this safety measure is there to keep people from running power tools while driving which isn't my intention. 

If I recall correctly, you do mobile theater for schools and you wanted to maximize mpgs. Wouldn't a gas or solar generator be a good business investment?

Why not use wireless speakers and your smart phone/pad. You also could wire your NV audio to external speakers and burn a cd of music of your choice.

If I recall correctly, you do mobile theater for schools and you wanted to maximize mpgs. Wouldn't a gas or solar generator be a good business investment?

Why not use wireless speakers and your smart phone/pad. You also could wire your NV audio to external speakers and burn a cd of music of your choice.

Thanks radin2son. 

I will most likely do a gas generator...but I would rather not. A car stereo is also lacking.I don't think solar technology is ready for my application yet...but that is a large surface on the top of the van and if I could find a place for another battery...Worth looking into. 

I use an Ipad for my music already. Most wireless speaker systems are consumer products and are not nearly powerful enough for the size of audiences I perform for. I just did the Vancouver Gay Pride Parade - there were over half a million people there with upwards of a thousand viewing us at any one time. 

I have a great professional system already that will work and my initial idea for having the inverter was to use it for these kind of events. I understand that Nissan want to protect rednecks from drilling or sawing in the back of a moving vehicle on the highway but this didn't occur to me when I bought the vehicle. 

It did occur to me that tools can't be charged while travelling because of this as well. Would be good for sales people to tell buyers about this hinderance. 

It may cost me an ice cream, but I'll stop the ice cream truck who roams our neighborhood with his annoying repetitive music blaring. He may have the system you need plus be able to run several freezers.

400W is only 3.3 amps on 120V equipment or 33 amps on the 12V side of things.  What are you running on the roof, something like PA speakers?

If they're big, self powered units you may have issues even when stopped at high volumes/loads.  

I agree that 1.5A of power when moving isnt much of anything!

400W is only 3.3 amps on 120V equipment or 33 amps on the 12V side of things.  What are you running on the roof, something like PA speakers?

If they're big, self powered units you may have issues even when stopped at high volumes/loads.  

I agree that 1.5A of power when moving isnt much of anything!

Even 3.3 amps isn't much but would run 2-350 watt units quite well. Problem is that I now want a sub. Might have to upgrade to a 1000-2000 watt inverter. 

How about a Renegy power system on your roof?

How about a Renegy power system on your roof?

I googled Renergy and couldn't find a roof mount system. Could you forward a link? 

I have this feeling that all options won't be cost effective for my purpose. 

You can get any number of 2000 watt inverters online or in stores for under $200.  4ga install kit with proper fuse holder - $25

Any of those would be much better than the stock 400w setup even at full power for your needs and some of them are fairly compact.

You can get any number of 2000 watt inverters online or in stores for under $200.  4ga install kit with proper fuse holder - $25

Any of those would be much better than the stock 400w setup even at full power for your needs and some of them are fairly compact.

Thanks. 

I looked for the 2k inverter and couldn't find anything in the 200 dollar range. Same experience with the kit. 

Could you share your source? 

Thanks

Thanks. 

I looked for the 2k inverter and couldn't find anything in the 200 dollar range. Same experience with the kit. 

Could you share your source? 

Thanks

Hoping others also chime in that have installed these.  I havent done one in years but I did high end stereo installs for many years and the wiring is similar.

As for pricing the easiest place to look is Amazon.  They have models from $100 up to several hundred dollars.  All different sizes and outputs.  Just make sure to read lots of reviews.  The install kits usually pop up along with the inverter under "also bought with".  It's a car amp install kit from the looks of things.  Two runs of 4ga (red/black) along with a high amp blade fuse holder.

Other places you can look would be someplace like Harbor Freight (dont laugh, some of their tools and parts last forever).

If you dont want or need it permanently installed you can use alligator clamps run to the battery but driving would be bad like that!  Other option is to get a winch disconnect kit which are just heavy duty quick connects like Anderson Power Poles or similar.  Run the wires like normal to where you would want the inverter when needed and just use the quick connect to hook it up or disconnect when you want it out of the way.  You can get the disconnect kit on Amazon and a lot of auto parts stores or truck accessory stores.  You can get inverters at both as well but pricing is normally a lot lower elsewhere.

Finally - I am not sure how sensitive your equipment is that you plan on running.  All of the lower cost inverters are "modified" sine wave converters.  The higher end ones like Go Power are pure sine wave.  Pure sine wave is what is in your house.  They are more efficient and "cleaner".  Modified sine wave inverters are much cheaper for the same output but less efficient and have more power distortion.  You can search about both but basically a pure sine is a smooth wave vs. a very choppy on/off of a modified.

If you were mounting this permanently in an RV conversion and running computers, TV's or induction plate cookers I would spring for a pure sine wave setup.  If you're using this a couple times a year and just need to power up something from tools to battery chargers to who knows what then a modified should be fine.  Only reason I say should is that some newer electronics have a safety feature to not even power up if they detect too much distortion.  

Again - I know other commercial users have installed these in their NV's and I am guessing most conversion people on here also have larger inverters so I hope they start chiming in as well.

I have no idea if the Nissan factory setup is a pure sine or modified...  

Edited by ASD Dad

Hoping others also chime in that have installed these.  I havent done one in years but I did high end stereo installs for many years and the wiring is similar.

As for pricing the easiest place to look is Amazon.  They have models from $100 up to several hundred dollars.  All different sizes and outputs.  Just make sure to read lots of reviews.  The install kits usually pop up along with the inverter under "also bought with".  It's a car amp install kit from the looks of things.  Two runs of 4ga (red/black) along with a high amp blade fuse holder.

Other places you can look would be someplace like Harbor Freight (dont laugh, some of their tools and parts last forever).

If you dont want or need it permanently installed you can use alligator clamps run to the battery but driving would be bad like that!  Other option is to get a winch disconnect kit which are just heavy duty quick connects like Anderson Power Poles or similar.  Run the wires like normal to where you would want the inverter when needed and just use the quick connect to hook it up or disconnect when you want it out of the way.  You can get the disconnect kit on Amazon and a lot of auto parts stores or truck accessory stores.  You can get inverters at both as well but pricing is normally a lot lower elsewhere.

Finally - I am not sure how sensitive your equipment is that you plan on running.  All of the lower cost inverters are "modified" sine wave converters.  The higher end ones like Go Power are pure sine wave.  Pure sine wave is what is in your house.  They are more efficient and "cleaner".  Modified sine wave inverters are much cheaper for the same output but less efficient and have more power distortion.  You can search about both but basically a pure sine is a smooth wave vs. a very choppy on/off of a modified.

If you were mounting this permanently in an RV conversion and running computers, TV's or induction plate cookers I would spring for a pure sine wave setup.  If you're using this a couple times a year and just need to power up something from tools to battery chargers to who knows what then a modified should be fine.  Only reason I say should is that some newer electronics have a safety feature to not even power up if they detect too much distortion.  

Again - I know other commercial users have installed these in their NV's and I am guessing most conversion people on here also have larger inverters so I hope they start chiming in as well.

I have no idea if the Nissan factory setup is a pure sine or modified...  

Thanks...

I need a pure sine wave (professional stereo) and that must be why I can't find anything in the price range you suggested on Amazon or anywhere. 

I am thinking that the amount I will use this isn't worth the money. 

Thanks...

I need a pure sine wave (professional stereo) and that must be why I can't find anything in the price range you suggested on Amazon or anywhere. 

I am thinking that the amount I will use this isn't worth the money. 

You're giving up way too easy - https://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-1000W-Peak-2000W-Inverter/dp/B00F4TP3AE

read the reviews.  At least one person uses that for a mobile DJ setup which is I assume very similar to what you need it for.  1000W pure sine wave inverter with 2000W peak output.  It's not a true 2000W constant but I really dont think you need 2000W constant, I brought up 2000W to start with since that is popular with contractors to power up tools.

You're giving up way too easy - https://www.amazon.com/MicroSolar-1000W-Peak-2000W-Inverter/dp/B00F4TP3AE

read the reviews.  At least one person uses that for a mobile DJ setup which is I assume very similar to what you need it for.  1000W pure sine wave inverter with 2000W peak output.  It's not a true 2000W constant but I really dont think you need 2000W constant, I brought up 2000W to start with since that is popular with contractors to power up tools.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it is currently unavailable. I saw another for 300 dollars...but from a Chinese company with no reviews...not worth the risk for me. My current sound system is 700 VA which I believe converts to 760 watts. I would like to add another 2 speakers for a total of 1200 VA.  

Still not sure whether it is worth the money for my use....but I am enjoying the learning process.  

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it is currently unavailable. I saw another for 300 dollars...but from a Chinese company with no reviews...not worth the risk for me. My current sound system is 700 VA which I believe converts to 760 watts. I would like to add another 2 speakers for a total of 1200 VA.  

Still not sure whether it is worth the money for my use....but I am enjoying the learning process.  

I just looked right now, it is in stock for $169.00  MicroSolar 1000W Pure Sine Inverter...  

I just looked right now, it is in stock for $169.00  MicroSolar 1000W Pure Sine Inverter...

And now it works...that is a price well within my range. Thanks!

And now it works...that is a price well within my range. Thanks!

Not a problem.  Hope it works out for you and if not you have 30 days to return it!  Let us know if it does work.  A lot of open ended threads on here where somebody tries something and then disappears!  

Not a problem.  Hope it works out for you and if not you have 30 days to return it!  Let us know if it does work.  A lot of open ended threads on here where somebody tries something and then disappears!  

Thanks...will do. 

I probably won't get to this until the spring...At this moment I am going to go with a 3000 watt unit right off the battery. I will mount it in my shelving and not mess with the factory set up. 

Hello, I realize this is an old post but I found out a way to get 400 watts out of the factory inverter while in drive. There is a green wire on the back side of the inverter switch on the dash that looses it's ground when the van is taken out of park. All you have to do is cut the wire and run the leg from the switch directly to ground and you have 400 watts available any time you originally had 150 watts available. The only downside I have experienced (albeit very minor) is that the 400W on the rocker switch stays lit up anytime the ignition is ON or ACC. The outlets however are not powered until you push the switch and both 150W and 400W are lit up. You could block the light from the led from lighting the 400W portion of the switch if it bothered you. It doesn't bother me. We now have power to run our crock pot while road tripping.

Hello, I realize this is an old post but I found out a way to get 400 watts out of the factory inverter while in drive. There is a green wire on the back side of the inverter switch on the dash that looses it's ground when the van is taken out of park. All you have to do is cut the wire and run the leg from the switch directly to ground and you have 400 watts available any time you originally had 150 watts available. The only downside I have experienced (albeit very minor) is that the 400W on the rocker switch stays lit up anytime the ignition is ON or ACC. The outlets however are not powered until you push the switch and both 150W and 400W are lit up. You could block the light from the led from lighting the 400W portion of the switch if it bothered you. It doesn't bother me. We now have power to run our crock pot while road tripping.

Hi again Hazel. How did you get behind that panel to get at the wire? 

Thanks. 

I followed another threads instructions and got the right side out but not the left. Tips....anyone. :0) 

The right side has clips but the left side has tabs that work like a hinge. Just gently pull the right side out as far as you can and slide the whole panel to the left. I have a picture but I don't know how to get it to you.