Sign in to follow this  
mikeprs1

38,000 miles on my Nissan NV, V6, 2500HD standard roof

Ok , here's the scoop, I bought my NV on 9/12/12. No tech package. Options at time of purchase were rear sonar, back windows and floor mats. Had new general contractor shelving package installed during the promotion last year for free. I installed a new K&N air filter at time of purchase.

I'm as service tech in my own business and travel all over the State of Montana.

Gas Mileage: Assuming the engine is running at peak performance there are three variables in determining your highway gas mileage on any vehicle. Wind resistance, car speed and tire pressure. On a flat highway with little to no head wind, going 70 MPH on cruise control I get an easy 17.5 MPG. Not Bad. I have about 1,200 lbs on board such as tools, parts and including my body weight. I never got this mileage on my 2007 Ford Econoline.. In the city I average 15 to 16 MPG and I drive the speed limit and don't lead foot it at stop lights.

Comfort: Only van I've had in the last 18 years where I can stretch my legs out straight while on the highway. This makes a big difference in reducing fatique.

It took about one month to get used to the side mirrors. This van drives like a new truck yet it's a van. After getting the shelve package in whatever noise I heard from the cargo area disappeared. Road noise is a little better than the Ford Van. Love the driver side electric seat.

Four speaker sound system is ok. I do like the stock radio and cd player. Nothing fancy but it sounds ok.

The heating and AC are good. More fan speed selections. The ford had a low, medium and high speed only.

Van Cargo Area:

Best inovation here is the box like shape . Shelving fits flat against the walls giving me about 8 more inches in the isle way between shelving. 273 degree Rear doors are a good inovation. With the new ford vans it's an option.

Warranty Repairs: New passenger side door gasket.

Performance: Just enough speed and acceleration on the highway when it's needed. Handles good in town and out.

Looks: It took me about a month to get used to the overall looks of this van. Reminds me of a whale. However I've had more people come up to me and ask me about this van due it's unusual body style.

Well that's the bare bones it. It's a good vehicle and $2,500 cheaper than a new ford E250 with the same options and the NV came with a free $ 2,400 shevling package.

Nicely done overall review.

You mentioned tire pressure. Are you using something other than tne Nissan recommendations? Also curious as to how your tires are wearing after 38,000 miles.

Thanks!

Nicely done overall review.

You mentioned tire pressure. Are you using something other than tne Nissan recommendations? Also curious as to how your tires are wearing after 38,000 miles.

Thanks!

In the summer I increase the tire pressures to max of 80lbs. This means less tread is actually touch the road so less friction of tires meeting the road hence better gas mileage. In the winter I reduce pressures to 70lbs which means more tread meets the road. This means better traction on snowy or ice surfaces. I rotate my tires every 7,000 miles. So far my tires have about 3/8" treads left. Tire presures and rotations extend the life of your tires by 50%. Also keep an eye on your front end alignment. Hope this helps.

HI redshirt,

Got 53,000 miles on my firestone tires now and have about a little less than a 1/4" tread height left. Will be getting new tires at about 70,000 miles. Hard to believe. Are they just good tires or is it the tire rotations and tire pressures?

Have a good one.

Mike

Any issues with the tire pressure at 70-80 psi and the tire monitoring system?