Sign in to follow this  
300winmag

Cummins or Duramax official yet?

I'm reading sites that claim one or the other but I would like to know if there is any official word yet for 2017.

The mileage is killing me on my '15 NVP.

Whats your mileage?  The Cummins isnt doing a whole lot better in the Titan XD.  

I used to get 14.  With my rack and AT tires I get 12-13.  The Titan with Cummins seems to get around 14-18 mixed with up to 20 or so possible if you're easy with it on the highway.  

It is $5000 extra to get the Diesel in the Titan.  You're gaining 4-5 mpg.  With gas vs. diesel prices for me (they are about the same) it would take me 4 years to break even getting the Cummins and this is driving 25,000 miles per year!  This does not include extra diesel maintenance like DEF fluid refills every few thousand miles, the normally higher cost of oil changes and the extra cost of regular fuel filter changes.  

The Cummins brings a lot of extra torque which would be fantastic but dont get it for mileage/cost reasons.

Now the new 5.6 gas motor with the 7spd could get you better highway mpg savings and should be a similar cost to the current gas motor.

Edited by ASD Dad

That is atrocious for a cummins, wow I expected at least 19 to 20. With all the new tech that is really bad numbers. Wonder what happened.

I never had a chance to really calculate our mileage. I live just outside the rockies, 90% of the time I pull my RZR around the mountains but its so close (45mins) that I never really figured it out.  However on my trip to Edmonton with no load (600kms round trip) I was not able to make it there and back on a single tank of gas. All busy hwy speeds so between 110 and 120.

Are they for sure using a Cummins for the NV? I don't now if it would be worth trading in the van for the new 5.6

I was hoping the diesel would be better mileage and power for towing....

Go check out the Titan XD forum.  They have a dedicated sub forum just for mileage.  The best I have seen is 23 mpg on the highway going 55-60 mph.  Most magazines and owners are getting 17-18 mixed.  I agree it's not great but it is what it is.

Not sure what you were expecting.  The Ram EcoDiesel is arguably the best mpg truck out there and multiple long term tests with normal driving show it gets around 21 average.  Sure you can hypermile the thing and get into the 30's but who drives like that daily?  But that motor is a heck of a lot smaller and lower rated than the Cummins.

Go look at any modern diesel forum and no motor does well these days.  These arent the old Cummins where you could mod them easily and get great mileage for 300,000 miles.  The modern Cummins, Duramax and Powerstroke are all about the same mileage wise - 15-20mpg if you're lucky.  Of course the modern big Cummins with Aisin transmission can pull a house off the foundation!  If you start modding the modern motors by bypassing emissions, deleting DEF, freeing up the exhaust and adding a tuner you can get really huge gains but you also insta-void your warranty on a very expensive motor.  

The Nissan Cummins will out pull the current motor we have in it's sleep if all you need is pulling power.  

From what I'm reading a Cummins or Duramax would give me around 6mpg more then I'm getting right now and have more power. I was expecting more but we are dealing with the "american automotive industry " so like you said it is what it is.

I want to know which one they are putting in the NV and will wait and see what the reviews are.

Edited by 300winmag