Ryan Stotts

How to turn off auto unlock?

When I throw it in park; I really don't appreciate it unlocking EVERY door in the vehicle.

How can one disable that?

I'd also like to turn off the auto lock when I first start driving so it will quit wearing out my door locks.

The site search is your friend... Not trying to be a a** but several questions you have asked could have been found in 10 seconds of searching!  Most auto forums searching is really bad but this being a small forum the Google search embedded works quite well.  You get your answer immediately vs. waiting for somebody to reply.  You have tons of questions and have posted up some great photos in other threads.  Posting is encouraged here but searching first honestly is faster.

If all else fails you can check your manual.  Granted this is a year or so back but I am guessing it works.  Try it!  If it does work, please post back here so we have a confirmation for future searches.  If you have tried this or this does not work - again - post back so we know in the future something has changed.

I quote from the other thread:

You can shut this auto lock feature off.

Open the driver door and leave it open, stick the key in the ignition, push the auto lock button on the armrest to the lock position.

The door locks will lock and then immediately unlock them selves. Bingo ! fixed.

It's described in the manual.

I had gone through the manual page by page.  But I did skip over the 1,000 pages about the radio.

I did see mention about a feature preventing one from locking their keys in the vehicle.  Which is what I think this open door trick is.

With the door open and the key in; press lock; yes it will unlock the doors.  Everytime.  I did the door open trick three times and on test drives it still locks the doors.  One has to hit about 15 mph for them to lock.

So no; this door trick didn't do it.

Just found this.  I'll have to try it tomorrow:

The automatic door locks (UNLOCK) function can be switched ON/OFF by performing the following operation.

1. Close all doors (door switch OFF).

2. Turn ignition switch ON.

3. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch ON, press and hold the door lock and unlock switch to the UNLOCK position for more than 5 seconds.

1. The switching is completed when the hazard lamps blink. OFF ON : 2 blinks

ON OFF : 1 blink

2. The ignition switch must be turned OFF and ON again between each setting change.

This function is set to ON before delivery. 

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=NV/2016%20NV/DLK 

I couldn't wait.  I did it and it blinked the hazards and seemed to take.  Will be tomorrow before I drive it to see.   Have to hold down the unlock button for what seems like forever.  Every bit of that five seconds plus.

Awesome! Thanks for trying it and please let us know if your version works.

Well they still auto lock even though the procedure seemed to take. Very strange.

Well that is a big bummer.  Appreciate you trying it out and letting us know!  If you do find a workaround please let the forum know.

I can tell you that on my Tundra that anything like that was easily changed at the dealership using their Techstream computer.  You could change the locking, how many presses to unlock all doors, lights flashing, etc.  You just needed to ask when you brought it in for service and they could hook up their system and edit everything.  

When I had a few rentals while my van was getting fixed I noticed some had the ability to change in their in car menu's.  Ford was the easiest, there was a sub menu and you could change all sorts of things.  

There has to be a way to do it...

EDIT:  This is weird.  I went online and your technique DOES work on some Nissan models, mostly older.  I guess that guide was from 2010.  It worked on some 2014 and newer Titans but not newer Armada's.

On the Armada forum they were told they had to take it into the dealer to get the settings programmed just like my old Tundra.  The owner did have it changed when he went for service.

Edited by ASD Dad

Ok so it appears the hazard trick turned off the auto unlock feature when it's put in park. Which would be just fine if it didn't still auto lock the doors at 15mph OR the door handle unlocked a locked door like on most other cars.

Does any one know if the auto lock above 15 MPH feature was a government safety mandate?  I think it was and not allowing the door handle to open the door while moving may have been a mandate too.

My truck isn't equipped with a door lock/unlock button on the armrest.. it's ridiculous especially when it HAS power locks and auto locks/unlocks after putting it in park. It's a commercial HVAC van and it's driving me crazy that if I turn it on and move it even a foot I have to go around to each door individually and lock it by hand. Anybody know how to disable auto lock/unlock on a van without a button inside? Thought about finding and pulling a fuse, but if there's a correct way then I'll go that route.

X

Edited by Jerry

One workaround you can do; put it in neutral and turn the key off; then put it in park.

I wonder if it was by design intent that the shift lever just so happens to really block the key off when it's in drive?