breeze

Anyone got a new 2017 NV 3500 v8 w/7 sp trans yet?

I was just wondering how the unloaded and specified towing load mpg's were in reality. Maybe they have not sold any yet though.

From both of these websites, the NV 3500 cargo model does not come in a Tall NV van model (except passenger shuttles, which should really be considered as well, except for the security of windows access all around.)

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2016/12/07/320970-nissan-2017-nv-cargo-van-and-nv-passenger-van-us.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/nv1500-2500-3500/pricing/trims

So, NV SV 2500 Tall v8 it is. I did not consider the all the tall version's steel in the towing limit capacity (I'm a newbee!) 

And the first link says the new v8 is 8% more efficient, so: 11 to approx. 12 mpg, city, and 14.5 to approx. 16 mpg mixed average (estimated): which makes it closer to v6 mileage specs, and is not bad at all for the safe and reliable vehicle it is toting around.

"An 11.2:1 compression ratio is provided by a new piston design, aiding overall engine efficiency and performance and a Multi Control Valve (MCV) assists in managing the engine's thermal efficiency better than a traditional thermostat."

"It is available through a select network of 440 authorized Nissan Commercial Vehicle dealers nationwide."

"The new V8 is assembled in Decherd, Tenn." So that is NW of Chattanooga, TN, and a nice location with a good industrial workforce. The V8 and CV assembly plants both, in TN and MS, would be great plant-visits if they allowed them. Being from the SE USA myself with Rebel and Cherokee Indian ancestors (many, many moons ago :-) and being an industrial engineer, I am really starting to appreciated this van more and am proud of the defect-free quality history. This van will be tough to beat for knowledgeable business owners looking to reduce overall systemic costs.

Edited by breeze

I just bought one today.  I'll let you know how it is, as I have a 34' airstream to pull with it.  I'm hoping it will do OK.  I'm not expecting amazing, but at least marginal.  

I went to a dealership intending to buy a 16 v8 high roof cargo(less $) and drove a identical 2017 high roof cargo v8 and there was no comparison. I bought the 2017. The 16 with the old v8 seemed like a dog coming from owning a e350 ford gas v10. I haven't towed with it yet, havent even floored it to be honest (break in is 1000 miles/under 4000rpm) but empty it climbs a 7% grade with zero effort in 7th gear. The manual shift feature is really cool as is the towing mode but It might be a bit over kill. I goofed around on the grade with the gears going uphill and there is less than 400 rpm between the higher gears. Pretty sure nissan knows they have won the heavy van towing battle. No contest really.

I would love to drive a new '17 to compare with my '15.  I still dont like that Nissan gimped the engine vs. the Titan but I am sure the extra gears and power would be noticeable.  

Anybody know the rpm when cruising at 60-65-70 with the 7 spd?  Those upper gears have to be overdrives to help with MPG I am guessing.

Next time I drive on the highway I'll take note, but off the top of my head at 60 mph, my 2017 is around 1500-1600 rpm.

Took my 2017 out and paid attention earlier today:

1600 rpm at 60

1800 rpm at 65

2000 rpm at 70

How does this compare to the older NVs? 

I haven't broken it down that way but at highway speeds, it is right around 2200. Rarely gets beyond 2500 that I've noticed. Other than towing and pushing 90 mph, I'm not sure why some people report 3500 at 85 mph.

Just out of curiosity, does manual mode let you use all speeds. On our V8, it goes to 4th but 5th gear is there. I always assumed it locked out 5th but it makes sense if you want to comtrol shifting to the extent the computer will permit.

Edited by radin2son