jimgoings

Upgraded the Audio System!

I replaced the entire audio system in our 2013 NV 3500 (with Tech Package).  

Head Unit:

Alpine double-din CDE-W265bt

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500W265BT/Alpine-CDE-W265BT.html

This fits great in the default slot.  We don't need navigation in the head-unit and I wanted a simple interface with push buttons instead of touch screens.  I can't stand the delay in touch screen models.

Steering wheel control assembly (same as required for Nissan Juke) works great!

Rear View Monitor/Camera

This did mean that we had to replace the back-up camera.  We now have this installed:

http://www.voxxelectronics.com/backup-monitors/?sku=RVM200

The corresponding camera is installed where the factor camera was installed

Amplifier

JL XD700-5v2 5-channel amp (75wx4, 300wx1)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13698606/JL-Audio-XD700-5v2.html

This baby fit under the passenger seat with room to spare

Speakers (front)

Hertz 165 2-way

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-systems-energy-esk165_5/

Mounted in factory locations (speaker in door, tweeter in dash)

Speakers (rear)

Hertz 165 2-way Coaxial (same as front, but with tweeter integrated)

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-coaxial-energy-ecx165_5/

Subwoofer

JL Audio 10TW3-D4 shallow sub-woofer with enclosure

http://www.jlaudio.com/cs110tg-tw3-car-audio-powerwedge-subwoofer-systems-93302

I opted for the shallow mount as I plan to put the subwoofer in the driver side rear door as soon as I have the time to make a mount for it.  For now, it just sits behind the rear-most seat.

Installation

I had mine installed professionally as it was a Christmas present for my wife.  The NV is her main ride and she loves to listen to music loud!

Results | the good:

• The entire family loves it.  There is zero comparison to the cheap system that came with the tech package.  It gets plenty loud (concert loud if you want) without any distortion.
  • Blue tooth audio streaming!  Works great from both my wife's and my iPhones.  Direct USB streaming works too.
  • Steering wheel controls still work great.  So happy about this.
  • Audio quality for phone calls was good before, but now it's flawless.

Results | the bad:

• The new rear-view camera doesn't seem to be quite as good as the factory one.  Night vision is more grainy and the daytime can seem washed out.  However, it is 100% usable and works just fine to see if something/someone is behind you.  We mainly use our side mirrors, so the camera is really just to see if anything is directly behind.
  • Aux port and USB port in dash is now useless.  I plan to purchase a 12v USB charger and mount it in the same location.  Should be a fairly painless hack job if I can find a 12v power line to steal from.
Edited by jimgoings

Congrats on the install!  Looks like some nice choices there, I love JL and Hertz products.  Alpine and I have a love hate relationship!  

I am happy to hear the steering wheel controls work.  For a long time nobody could figure them out and the big aftermarket companies did not have support for our van yet.  I know on a lot of make and models it can depend on the head unit and your vehicle on what will or will not work.  On my Tundra I could not use all the functions of a Kenwood unit as an example but a Pioneer was fully functional using the steering wheel controls.  

Do you have any kind of link to the steering wheel control adapter? I also have a 2013 with Tech Pkg and Crutchfield told me that it doesn't exist. If it is the same one as a 2013 Nissan Juke, that's awesome - they probably just don't know it. I'm hoping to put in a CarPlay unit that can handle the input from a rear-view camera.

For the rear-view camera, I'd like to upgrade to a better one than factory (anyone know of one?) but I'm especially curious here about how you were able to use the same spot as the existing one. Did you have to use new wiring?

Thanks a lot for sharing your story - I think a lot of folks are wanting to make this change, but the info is just very light at this point.

Did you cut out any plastic where the rear speakers are? We're a huge music family, and I plan on doing the same in the future. I just noticed that there is a lot of plastic in front of the rears, which would muffle the sound.

Hey Jimgoings, can I ask what you did with the factory head unit? If you still have it an it has navigation then I'd like to buy it from you. Or you could be an awesome NV owner and donate it to another NV owner :)

Sorry for the delayed reply.  I will see if I still have the factory nav unit.

Did you cut out any plastic where the rear speakers are? We're a huge music family, and I plan on doing the same in the future. I just noticed that there is a lot of plastic in front of the rears, which would muffle the sound.

No.  Volume is not a problem.   This system will go painfully loud.  If the rear plastic is muffling the speakers, it's not noticeable.

I just replaced the head unit. The phone bluetooth works better than the stock Nissan fosgate i have in my Frontier.

Hey Jimgoings, can I ask what you did with the factory head unit? If you still have it an it has navigation then I'd like to buy it from you. Or you could be an awesome NV owner and donate it to another NV owner :)

Found it.  If you pay shipping, I'll send it to you. :)