Sign in to follow this  
Dustin Anderson

Cold air from heater

I was touring up north last week and a couple days and it was -20 C.

The vehicle would heat up with hot air coming out of the heater and then would turn to cold air. I turned the fan off and then it would heat up again. 

Anyone ever had this happen? 

Or 

Have any theories? 

I assume it is a stuck vent...

Thanks, 

Dustin 

I have a similar issue when it's -20 degrees Celcius or colder. I found that when I'm parked and idling, the heater will start to blow cold air until I throttle up a little bit (like 50-100 RPM above idle). After a little throttle, it starts to blow hot again. Probably coolant thermostat related? We have several NV's at work and I've noticed they all act the same in winter. I don't know if this is the same issue you're having. but it sure is annoying!

One of my coworkers had to change a coolant hose, and we thought it had air stuck in the system when it started blowing cool air (while already up to operating temperature).. Went over to my van to compare (untouched coolant system) and sure enough it acted the same way too.

I wonder if it is a problem with the climate control system. I haven't had a problem with mine, but i don't have climate control in my van. 

The dealership couldn't replicate the problem (in Vancouver @ 5 degrees) which isn't surprising. 

yeah I'm not surprised they couldn't either hope they find the problem out soon. 

Mine blows warm then cool as well. Seems odd without climate control.