Sign in to follow this  
breeze

NV SV Tall MC 3500

(2017 V8/7 sp of course.)

To allow room for a motorcycle and a RV conversion, I have to make the motorcycle reside in the last 3' space of the cargo bed, ergo (preliminarily) a $129 jib crane: lift/guide/couple of tie downs on wheel chock.(I also got $4K off MSRP in LA from Truecars.com 3 quotes :-)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_material-handling+hoists-lifts-cranes+truck-cranes

141228_700x700.jpg

These are made for vans and pickups. The link above has plenty of alternatives and the best one would be worth additional monies.Below is a manual lift through leverage, but I need to understand the lift points better: I have crash bars for stabilizer lifts, but need something else around the triple crown perhaps. The below pic shows an unusual shop lift by leverage alone.

KL_Supply_MC360_Lift_01.jpghttp://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/lifts-c-290/motorcycle-atv-lifts-c-290_110/overhead-crane-c-290_110_226/kl-supply-mc360-overhead-hoist-p-1317

The main idea is not to go past 3' from the rear door with the bike angled in there: lift/ guide into wheel chock/ 2 tie downs and close the door never stepping up into the rear of the van (that's the concept anyway.) There would still be plenty of light storage area around the bike for tools, pit-bull lifts, etc...

SlingLiftPoint.jpg

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lift-gate/p/MC-LFT-GATE/

The pic above shows it may be possible to balance with one lift point and a sling, guided by the crash bars (the greedy heuristic.)

3269.jpg

Relay%20L4%20Race%20Van%20with%20bike.jp

On the above pic, of course, mine would be in the unused horizontal space, but it was a rv conversion layout with a motorcycle pic anyway. The jib crane concept is the heart of the layout and it looks very possible, as well as economical so far. Hopefully, I can get some aCAD Light layouts, cut paper dolls/paste,  start number crunching, and start alternative layouts.

Edited by breeze

If anyone has any NV floor layouts with 1' squares overlaid, that would be nice for starters. :-)

I really don't want to buy aCAD Lt if I don't have too $$$.

But for 3D accuracy, eventually it would be a good thing to have it on file :-(

Edited by breeze

I second NVAir - K.I.S.S. - use ramps, even folding ramps.  

If you use a lift and bolt it to the floor you will need to seriously reinforce that floor from twisting leverage.  You're over thinking this.  Lift would be cool and everything but I think totally unnecessary and will take up valuable floor space. 

Floor space is exactly why the jib crane is the only subset of alternatives. Not only is it easier, but it allows near horizontal placement of the motorcycle, instead of making 6' of cargo space highly cramped that limits allowing a much roomier cargo space of rv alternatives. Ramps suck, are hazardous using, and take up space and time handling. They rattle too. A jib require a 10" x 10" area (plus 13" in counterbalance direction) all the way near the back corner ledge (a strength position of bent steel - possibly the strongest structural position in the van), they fold back against the wall, and naturally pick-up and place the bike in position with ease. The steel cargo area strength was supposed to be a selling point of this van, remember? Reinforce? Steel jib base [Made for VANS/PICKUPS] on steel bed on steel bed frame. What am I missing, another steel reinforcement plate in between? Seriously?

So comparing not even stepping into your van ONCE vs. tying down a ramp/ walking up and down in rainy conditions several time/ pushing/holding bike on steep ramp by yourself/ ... it's not even a close comparison in effort, time, cost, or safety.

It is near impossible to carry a bike full time pulled straight in AND have a reasonable custom rv conversion van. [0% chance]

It is improbable that a RV conversion floor plan could not be mapped out with only part of the far back 3' taken up

[Pr Success > 95%]

Yes, there are interface issues to be addressed, but nothing very challenging that an 8th grade shop student couldn't handle with ease.

It's always easy to accept marginal minutia solutions that don't require any thought, but when it effects you, a little thought is all it takes and then it opens up many new possibilities that were near impossible before, especially simultaneously.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Systemic (Simple) Simon!

Edited by breeze

Good luck with it.  You seem to be very convinced on every post you make.  I will be interested in seeing your MPG numbers and how all this turns out in real world usage.  If it works great.  Post up lost of photos and reviews.

Yea.  Good luck.  At the very least I'd weld a steel reinforcing plate under the floor below the lift, probably at least twice the size of the lift base.  You will have quite a moment arm at the connection with the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jUR7FIXvA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Botta Bing, Botta Boom.

Once more, in reverse, Botta Boom, Botta Bing:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+spitzlift+JLTV&t=hc&iax=1&ia=videos&iai=BarFngWQgfo

Of course I'd have a locking tire chock plus one additional tie-down: add 30 seconds, lol: just saying.

Don't be so serious. It's just an alternative method that has a purpose. I used to design cranes, lifts, and hoists

for manufacturing systems, so it's not such a far fetched idea and they last a lifetime with no maintenance.

The one shown in video is about $2K complete, but may get off up to 50% off that by shopping around: it's a buyers market. My lower back feels much better already.

And one last alternative :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQEFOxI7Hg

Wait, there's more. At around 4 of 12 minutes, it shows closeups of the webbing to lift the motorcycle up. It also goes into all the various types of lifts too. It's very educational compared to the other films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl3qkRnZzX0

Edited by breeze

That proves exactly what?!  You have no idea what is mounted below that lift base or even where it is attached in the bed of that truck.  

Look, from the start all any of us have done on this site is offer you advice.  You seem 100% convinced every Transit is a noodle, the new 5.6 motor and 7spd is the be all end all answer to our MPG woes, and all sorts of other news and ideas.  You take stats as gospel when many of them have no real world specs to back them up.

You're going to hang a 450 pound / 210 kg motorcycle off the end of a long arm that is going to be swinging around.  Have you even read the installation instructions for the Spitzlift?  I just did for the fun of it and I think you have not after reading your posts.  You are REQUIRED to reinforce the mounting area of the baseplate anywhere that it is not bolted to the frame structure of the vehicle.  Even when it is mounted to the frame structure of the vehicle they want you to use steel tube and steel angle iron to channel the load and reinforce the mounting holes.

If you dont want advice just say so.  Like I said.  Buy the van, build the van, use that lift with no reinforcement, take lots of photos and make a log of your MPG.  Prove us wrong.  I personally think you're in for a rude awakening with many things once put into real world practice.  If I am wrong I will be the first in line to eat crow.  Wouldnt be the first or last time.

I had this idea myself. Gave up and now I use the van for my conversion and a small light trailer for the bike. Hopefully you get it working. 

Global material handling looks about like the bottom dollar vendor, with expert service within 3 day service tickets. I like Global, other than being the most economical because they are not restricted to a particular brand or type of jib crane.

I don't really need the the light weight 30 lb. crane and the steel 140 lb. crane may be best so I can leave it up. The 30 lb. crane would still be easier than a ramp, but leaving it up tense (w/wheels resting on the ground) with 2 tie downs seems optimum if possible. The videos of the operators swinging the bikes around the poles looked like they were handling raw eggs carefully and holding their breath.

As well, I asked about if the manual crane would be better so the leverage of the DC motor does not crunch the jib crane with a quick button push.

I'll ask Northern Tool & Equipment's online experts too, and will be searching for a 3rd vendor with online experts: even if I go with the cheapest, but they are all pretty close in price. Getting the right application is the main thing, but that may be the cheapest too??