Mark Siddons

Amp Install

I'm looking at upgrading the speaker on my NV 3500 Passenger and since I'm going in to do the speakers I will also install a small amp. I'm trying to locate a remote wire and instead of taking apart the whole dash I want to tap into the cig lighter. Does anyone know which wire is hot on the cig lighter the green or black?

Welcome to the forum.

9/10 times in 12V cars the black wire is ground.  I would actually say 9.9 times out of 10 black or a black striped wire is ground or negative.  The exact opposite of 110V homes!

If nobody chimes in with a 100% answer and you are bored you can grab a simple test light at any auto store, Walmart, Target, etc for a couple bucks.  

You can also tap into the fuse box if it is easier.  Just pick a switched 12V fuse and tap it.

Thanks for the info and I figured it was and the green wire is larger then the black so I figured it was, but I hate messing with the wiring on a car with only 100 miles on it, but the stock sound system needs upgraded bad.

Get a cheap auto-ranging digital multimeter from Amazon. I paid about $30 for mine. Just make a circuit and and it'll show a little negative sign if the positive lead (red) is on the wrong wire. Easy peasy way to make sure. It's good thing to have anyway.

Are you looking for a constant power source for the amp? If so I would run a wire right from the battery those things need more power than you would think. How many watts is the amp because you should use at least a 12 gauge wire if it is a small amp. That goes for the ground for the amp too.

I think he just needs switched power for the remote turn on and didn't want to get behind the radio...

One of the amps I just installed has an auto sensor that turns on the amp from either rca inputs or speaker level inputs. Meaning it does not need a remote turn on wire. I believe it was a Pioneer 8601 4 channel amp @ 100 watts rms each.

I also added an old school Directed 1100D mono sub amp to throw 1000 watts at a nice 10" sub I had.

Edited by aabel

Anyone of you have wiring layout so i can find which wires to tap into to add sub to stock system?