Mark Rogers

Foil stickers under van

My 2016 NV3500 has some stickers on the underside that are falling off. I'm guessing they're some kind of insulation. They appear to be made of reflective foil with a thick layer of a tar like substance. What are they, exactly? Is it common for them to fall off?

I think it's foil tape and it covers up unused holes. Not great for the long run as it eventually falls off. I have a bunch where it looks like the running boards or step bars would bolt up too.

It sounds like a good reason to see if you want the options first, and then rust proof it in one way or another: esp. for you Canadian guys.! Sticker rust proofing is a cheap alternative that is unacceptable IF you do not know the Cheap work-around has a time limit of sticker glue adhesion.

Although it's better than half-baked or incomplete engineering, it's a warning sign to be on the lookout for similar short-cuts to make oem vehicles budget. By itself, it's no big deal, but the Japanese are very crafty in deception; as were the Germans and diesel exhaust pollution cleanliness standards. 

Edited by breeze

I took it to the dealer and got the stickers replaced under warranty.  The guy at the shop said they're insulation that protects the body from the heat of the exhaust system.

The stickers along the underside of the rocker panels? Those shouldn't be getting any heat from the exhaust. They are vhb type stickers to seal the holes in the frame from moisture.

Must be different foil than what I've seen