LargefamilyinSoCal

Black out the chrome

I would like to black out all the chrome (2017 3500SL) including door handles, side mirrors, grill, front bumper. Currently at an auto body shop and they are recommending replacing the parts with black ones instead of paint (their system shows black available).

Has anyone done that before?

How did you black yours and what was cost? Getting frustrated because if the parts aren't correct I'm paying to restock :(

Edited by LargefamilyinSoCal

Isn't it silly that we pay more to get a fancy trim with lots of chrome, then pay more on top of that to get rid of the chrome?!!!

I assume all of the S trim parts should fit, and they are all black. Only problem would be the front sensors.

Plasti Dip everything. Only one that may be trouble is door handles due to constant use. If you don't like it, peel it off.

Be aware if you have the front sensors the new bumpers may not have them. From my limited searching not sure if you can get a black bumper with the holes already, but if its just a basic round hold this shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively you could get your bumpers media blasted but that would mean more downtime. Also take a look at the black grill I think its textured? Pretty sure the mirror caps are available in black for cheap. Have you thought about vinyl wrap? 

Edited by JCattSS

There's no arguing for taste. Some like chrome. Some hate chrome. If two such persons meet, the problem is solved by simply exchanging the parts. 

There's no arguing for taste. Some like chrome. Some hate chrome. If two such persons meet, the problem is solved by simply exchanging the parts. 

Yep personal choice and I think most manufactures over do it with chrome. Alt least with trucks you can get the option for color matched from the factory.

Plasti Dip everything. Only one that may be trouble is door handles due to constant use. If you don't like it, peel it off.

X2

I plasti dipped my bumpers, grill, mirrors, door handles, and emblems..  matching wheels on the way..  

looks great and will hold up fine ( ive worked with plasti dip alot)  the handles wont stay so I may remove to spray ( dip ) the back/inside of the handles to get rid of the edge.  because you can't spray the underside of the handle while its on the vehicle, it leaves a lip that will roll with lots of hands on it...  

I used 4.5 cans of black plasti dip. ( about 6 coats) and 3 cans of clear glossifier about 3-4 coats.

6$ for each can so about $50

Did you do all the other parts while pn the vehicle?

Is plastic-dip the best option for this over other spray paints or even some of that spray on bed liner stuff? 

thx

Is plastic-dip the best option for this over other spray paints or even some of that spray on bed liner stuff? 

thx

Plasti Dip is easily reversible on most surfaces.  You dont like it or it gets worn looking you can peel it off and start fresh.  It is also thick so has some durability.

Paint and bed liner would be permanent.  Paint would be a lot less durable.  Bed liner would be near indestructible!  

Another option is autodip. It is smilar to plastidip but has more viny-looking finish.

Did you do all the other parts while pn the vehicle?

Yes I dipped mirrors, bumper, silver door slide as well as lettering in the back. While it was still on the vehicle.

Use painters tape and newspaper to mask off. On the emblems make a square about 15 inches and spray emblem and body completely then about 30 minutes later, peel the dip off the body and it will naturally break at the line of the emblems leaving you a crisp clean look.

thx

Paint doesn't seem to stick to smooth surface very well. You will have to sand them. Plasti-dip doesn't require any prep work beyond just cleaning them. 

Personally, I was thinking of blacking out the van. Then after looking at the vast blackness on the van's sides, I decided to keep the few chrome accents that came with the van. I sort of blacked out by getting black wheels (with accents).

post-1459-0-43060200-1518538634_thumb.jpg