Skeeve

Roof Vent install?

I've a 2500 NV standard roof and want to install a Maxxfan Deluxe that requires a 14x14 opening. Anyone already do this? Where would be the best place to cut with the roof beams being less than 14 inches apart. If anyone has inside and outside photos I'd appreciate it. Email if that works... jn@jamesneiss dot com

See my post in the conversion threads. It was for a Fantastic Vent fan, but the opening is still 14"x14". I have photos there too.

I just did. Are your roof ribs spaced apart more than 14 inches? Mine do not have a 14 inch gap between ribs, so I'd have to cut one unless I went almost all the way to the back or just behind the front cab. The problem with those locations is there is a welded seam. I have no idea if cutting through the rib or the seam is favorable. (I don't know how to post photos yet to illustrate)

We placed the fan, not all the way in the back, because of those seams. We placed it in front of the second to the last rib. If you look at the photos, you can see that Hub cut pretty much flush to the ribs. He used a drill for the corners and then the angle grinder for the rest of the cuts. We put it there so we would have plenty of room for the solar panels (since then, we've added another panel to bring us up to a total of 545 watts)

We have it over the bed. If you plan to do that, make sure you get a Maxxair vent cover to keep out most of the rain. When we leave the van with a possiblity of rain, we put a tray under the vent to catch any water, just in case. Though we've had the vent open in a pretty good rain with no leaks. We have a Fantastic Vent cover, but the Maxxair one does the same.

We had a local shop install our Maxxair as close to the rear as possible. You are correct to stay away from the seams. They said cutting inso the seam causes huge problems with leaking. He said the best route was to partially cut an overhead support. Lifetime warranty against leaking so I thought it was worth the $100. Picture on my Instagram page. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOchKFhjMXG/

We chose as far back as possible to minimize wind noise when driving, aerodynamics, pull air through even when not running while driving and because it will be over our heads when sleeping and over the cooking area as well.

Mdsnyder 108, This is a little off topic but what other modifications have you made?

Looked at your instagram posts. We have seen Escape vans but none as colorful. Foreign plate?

They make the Juicy vans* look tame. We like their set up with the kitchen in the back. Have you done the same?

*Dodge Caravans with clam shell sleeping area on top, although newer ones have poptops.

1st duplicate post.

Edited by radin2son

2nd...

Edited by radin2son

3rd... This has to be a record.

Edited by radin2son

Oh well, a 4th duplicative post? So, I'll ask another question. Did you buy your 2012 new? If used, it certainly is in good shape. Post some more photos. DIY projects give great ideas...

Edited by radin2son

Sorry, I don't check this very often. The Escape rental was in New Zealand. I believe that the one in California is a franchise. In NZ a different artist paints each one. Everyone you see points and waves as they aren't common. Very basic layout. I'm taking that layout and making some adjustments to make it more functional. Will post to Instagram as I am able. Jucy vans are everywhere in NZ and are much newer.

As far as modifications on my van we did the Maxxair fan, awning style Herr side windows with screens, Jensen VX7022 radio with steering wheel controls, backup camera with LED third brake light, new Focal speakers, Nissan front window air deflectors, Nissan rear windows with defroster grid lines and LED headlights backup lights and cargo area lights. That's what is complete. Bought but still need to install auxillary LED high beams, auxillary LED backup lights and DRL's, house battery with isolator and finish up insulation and sound deadening.

We bought our van with 200,000 miles on it. That's not normal for me. We normally get a new Acura ever three years or so for each of us. Our experience with the Nissan van in NZ that also had 200,000 miles was great, but it was definitely driven like a rental by a lot of young people who don't know how to maintain vehicles. I was amazed when we got home and found this van for $12,000 that looks and drives like new. I did the research and found they are made for an 800,000 mile service life and don't have the problems other manufacturers have with their vans. I had the local dealer go over it and replaced all the fluids. I just get happier and happier. Will be using as a camper van in northern Canada/ Alaska. Have done the Dempster and Labrador highway multiple times and this should be great on those roads. Sorry if I hijacked this thread. New to this.

Edited by Mdsnyder108

I've a 2500 NV standard roof and want to install a Maxxfan Deluxe that requires a 14x14 opening. Anyone already do this? Where would be the best place to cut with the roof beams being less than 14 inches apart. If anyone has inside and outside photos I'd appreciate it. Email if that works... jn@jamesneiss dot com

The vent will fit between ribs. You will cut a little bit of the flanges but it does not structurally weaken the rib.

Yes, van shop cut in my fantasticvent, center of cargo area. It fits in there good with ribs still in tact or mostly anyways.

Mdsnyder 108, completely missed your 5/2/17 post. Went back and looked again at your Instagram photos. Impressive.

Your 2012 NV with 200,000 miles is in incredible shape.