cabinetcrew

2017 V8 high roof cargo Crew van newbie

I'm going back to my roots with the 2017 Nissan NV3500 V8. My first car was a Datsun-Nissan Sentra, loved owing a a couple 300ZX twin turbos, and I'm looking forward to putting the NV3500 V8 to the test regularly towing heavy with a 7% grade. I'm  replacing a E350 V10 econoline that I put 2nd row seats in.  So I'd like to do the same in the new 2017 NV V8 high roof.  I'm used to passing everything but a gas station having owned Ford 460 and V-10 gas motors over the years - so I do have a bit of a heavy towing/power complex going on.  I did test drive 2 new Nissan NV Cargo high roofs V8's (16 and 17's) -identical with the exception of the new V8 vs the old V8 and there is a noticeable power difference!  Enough to pull me off the fence and join the converted Econoline owners.  The Ford Transits rubber donut/Guibo/flex joint...(what ever they call it) was the tipping point for me.  Having seen a cracked one first hand on a 2016 Tranist with 20K on the odometer was enough for me to get over the brand loyalty hump. I look forward to posting some fuel economy numbers after the break in period.

Any help/comments/referrals in 2nd row removable seats builds would be a huge help!  

I was really impressed with Nor-Cal vans knowledge for a legal 2nd row install but they only work on Transits. I guessing this is going to be a theme. My first thoughts are getting my hands on some ford transit seats and tracks. 3 point integrated seat belts are a must. 

Thanks.

Welcome. I suspect many Ford E users will move to NVs sooner or later.

Someone put in Transit seats, so there is a thread somewhere...

Welcome and congrats from Western PA. Got any pictures?

Welcome and congrats from Western PA. Got any pictures?

No pics to speak of, I take delivery in a few days.  I expect adding seats is going to be a long project (trying to do the legal crash tested/altered door label way first)

Congrats, you are an inspiration. If you are in California, be sure to have an expert rv/van service to do the installation and put that invoice with your title (just in case.)

I'll be interested in what you decide on. Adjustable seats is a strong point of the NV pickup truck front end, (that you can stretch your legs out instead of sitting on a pickle barrel like most vans.) 4 spinning seats with a central removable table would be something I'd like to work in. - ?

Been a Ford guy all my life.  I have 4 Fords at my house right now.  But when it was time to buy a full size van, I became a Nissan owner.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm new here too!

First tank of gas fuel mileage - 11.5 mpg with the new "more efficient" V8. (Assuming the dealership filled it up) mixed driving on 6-7% grades and keeping it under 4000 rpm  for break in.  Anyone using synthetic notice any mileage difference?  I always ran synthetic in my ford V10 and seemed to do way better than other V10s .12-14mpg.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that NV owners are on their own for seat additions. No one will touch this thing with the exception of Customizers conversions in Maryland. I believe they are the only people who have done the crash testing (at a cost of over $100K) needed to legally add seats to the NV.  The flip down freedman seats look like a great idea but I think it would require some serious engineering to get to the 17,000 lbs of pull force required.  So the best option is to over engineer it with stock ford or sprinter seats and incorporate steel plates into and around the frame cross members.  Anyone out there have pics of a similar build?

Fun stuff so far is cutting a brake controller into the aux button area next to the 12V outlet and moving those buttons around. 

Best thing I can come up with for a phone dock is velcro stuck in between the right AC vent and the dash instruments. I tried a custom holder in the "good for nothing " recess only to find that the gear handle is in its way in Drive.  

Thanks to who ever it was that said on the forum that the Nissan GTR air filter works in the air cabin air "filter-less" area.  

POTAUTO MAP 1040C is the one I got from amazon for about $14 bucks. worked great, even has activated charcoal in it.

I'll post pics when I figure it out and get more done.

Edited by cabinetcrew

What do you plan to do with a high roof that a low roof won't do? You after all are coming from a similar van. A NVP quite possibly would have done what want, minus the stand up room if that is what you need.

A professional photographer couple bought a NVP beacuse they liked the interior finish vs the cargo van. They removed all the seats and I think used the seat tracks to hold an equipment box in place.

We install cabinets, So the crew seat is only a 5% of the time issue. So a removable seat is ideal. High roof is necessary for any modern tradesman with a lot of tools and a sore back. Can't for the life of me figure out why nissan doesn't make a high roof passenger. Seems like a no brainer to me...I mean who wants to stoop that low riding to the airport? Enterprise rentals is trashing transits in no time flat. I looked at a used one with 20K on it and it had a cracked driveline flex coupler/"guibo". That was enough to make me a nissan fan again. Mercedes looks really cool but not so cool when it spends it time at the service dept for DEF problems.

7 spd transmission seems crazy good. I'm not sure that it's really doing anything for fuel economy but it is tremendous at engine braking. Going down steep grades it mantains downhill speeds like a champ. Gear changes are very subtle are only a few hundred rpms apart so the probability of gear hunting while towing is non existant. I haven't put a trailer to it yet but it checks all the boxes for being great for heavy towing.

Chris_commercial manager had a single rear seat installed for a buyer in a work NV. PM him for details if you cannot find his post and photo. He, however, is on the other coast...

In the gallery, there is/was a high top passenger van.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.