Nvdad81

Brake controller

Does anyone have any pictures or a video of how to install a trailer brake controller? I'm thinking of doing it myself if it's not to complicated. Thanks

Nvdad81

Do you have the factory tow package?  If yes it could not be easier.  There is a factory pigtail wire harness most likely in your glove box that is wrapped up in tape.  That harness is labelled and you wire it to your controller of choice (I have been running a Tekonsha P3 for years and like it).  The plug end simply connects to the factory wire harness that will be taped up and out of the way down near the parking brake pedal.  Just cut the tape to free the coiled up harness and plug together.

That is it.  You're done!

Read your controllers instructions for best placement.  Some are more sensitive to angles than others.  I have mine mounted below the factory radio in that empty slot so it's easy to reach if needed.  Most just stick down on the lower dash near one of their knees / shins.  

Edited by ASD Dad

That sounds pretty easy, I think it's within my ability.

Thanks asd dad

Nvdad81

I know I'm a little late to the party (maybe someone else can use this post), but I just installed mine today. Super Easy!! I got the Tekonsha Primus IQ. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but then again I don't need it to. I have used this model before in my old vehicle and it was perfect. I got the adapter pigtail and it made it even easier. The hardest part of this installation was choosing the perfect position for it.

First locate the adapter...It should be somewhere behind the emergency brake.
post-2200-0-82243800-1501212320_thumb.jpg

Next attach your pigtail to the adapter

Then fish the wire to it's final destination. If you take off the fuse panel door it makes it much easier to run the wire. There is a square shaped bracket back there and I ran my cable through it as a preventative measure to keep it from dangling.

post-2200-0-94882700-1501212485_thumb.jpg

Final destination. It's not in the way when I drive, and I can reach it, if I need to.

post-2200-0-94103900-1501212720_thumb.jpg

Here is where I bought mine. Around $69 and another $13 for the pigtail (no splicing necessary).

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake_Controller/Tekonsha/TK90160.html

hello.  i am new to the forum and a new owner of the 2500 high roof.  is there anyone that can let me know how to get everythimg prepared fot towing.  i am looking to tow my travel trailer to colorado.  i think i need the electric brake towing and the hitch hooked up. is this something  can diy. please help. thank you!

I had the dealer install my Tekonsha P3. I'm still under warranty, so I figured if there was a problem with the installation, they would own it.

Congrats!

Ted

Does anyone know if the standard takonsha Nissan adaptor will work with the NVP 3500?

I have the factory pigtail but if I can avoid splicing things and cutting wires on my controller, that would be ideal.

I think it should, I bought an adapter for my P3 off Amazon and it plugged right in.  Definitely the easiest way to wire it!

Well the takonsha Nissan adaptor on eBay works for the 2018 NV even though the listed years stops at 2015 (ish). The takonsha P3 is great but you may want to dial it down if driving on rough roads. Using the brakes and hitting a bump causes the trailer wheels to lock up.

I can send some pics if desired. Super easy to mount. The hardest part was routing the wire harness to stay out of the way.

Edited by Dastard