Sign in to follow this  
klineelectric

just ordered nv3500 sl cargo are these things tough enough for constuction sites

After alot of research I just ordered the 3500SL cargo. I am an electrical contractor doing new residential construction. I carry alot of wire, tools ladders etc. I am hoping this is the right purchase for my needs. I should be getting the van in about 3 months (their estimation).I currently drive a 2000 E 350 extended. Its been a good van and still drives and runs fine but it is 17 yrs old with 260000miles. I also have a 2015 transit but I'm not happy with the uni-body and overall "toughness" of the suspension and driveline. Time will tell as I will keep this as I will keep this for my employees. I am wondering if you guys think tis Nissan will hold up and be a good van for my needs.  Thanks  Mike

Welcome and don't worry about typos. We all make them. You can go back anytime to correct them. Just hit edit...

Nissan did a promo video on small delivery service in Phoenix, Above and Beyond. At the time they had 500k on one of their vans. We see them in northern AZ.

Similar to your E350, your NV is a truck, a tough truck that is a great chassis for passenger vans that tow or not and conversions. You probably will not complain about mpg given how you will use it.

Just out of curiosity, how does your Transit mpg compare with your E350? Also, why an SL?

My e-350 gets about 10 mpg the transit averages 16mpg. Hopefully with the NV's 7 speed trans I'll be close to the transit mpg with the e-350 durability. I just ordered it Friday so I wont know for 3 months or so. I'm already antsy. As for getting the SL , I will be keeping this van for a long time and figured the chrome would wear and look better longer.

Edited by klineelectric

I just got a 2017 cargo sv 3500. Was lucky enough to find one the day it came to the lot and 4 other dealerships were trying to snag it from the dealer I bought from. Same exact situation. Really love my old 2000 e350. The nissan nv is the closest thing to the old tough as nails econoline. I was bolting second row seats up today in the NV and can say the frame is a solid frame. The driveline is a good 3"+ heavy duty traditional driveline without that ridiculous rubber donut just behind the tranny like on the transit. I'd check for cracks on that part if you have a transit. NV also has real load rated tires and huge brakes. The interior is pretty awesome to bolt up racks. The downside is that its roughly a 10' long cargo area. The truck style front end is a little hard to go back to, but it is way safer in a frontal crash situation and seems to have better air bags (6) total. The engine bay has nearly 2' in front of the actual engine so I think it will fare better in a deer strike which is a thing in my area. Good call to go with the highest model. The sv model doesn't have a seat height adjustment, wish it did. I'm 5'11 and I could almost use a booster seat to see over that hood. All the new 1 ton trucks are really tall, I dont get why. With all thw sheet metal on these things I'm going to add more sound deadening mat before I put in racks...especially over the rear wells. I have a high roof but there are factory ladder roof mounts up there, of course you need a ladder to get to them. So far so good. Best heavy duty van? I think its the only heavy duty van made now.

Back in 2012, the commercial manager at Dublin Nissan (CA) wanted Nissan to make an extended van. Nissan is slow to see the need.

The one feature that is generally not liked is the low, non power passenger seat. Seems like that would be a great SL upgrade. Higher seat on all models would be good.

Transforce still the oem tire? You may/will have problems on wet costruction sites and some dirt roads particularly when the tread wears down.

Post some photos of your van and interior. (If you use a smart phone, go to the full site and tap more options to get to attachments. It is fairly easy but take horizontal photos. Vertical photos will post sideways.)

Cabinet crew thanks for your review. I am pissed that ford seems to have gone to a "disposable" van, they just arent as tough as the econoline. There is also no place to hook a tow strap on the front of the transits unlike the standard tow hooks on the NV. My transit is driven by my brother who works with me so I haven't checked the driveshaft guibo yet but I am aware of it.  I know what you mean about the seats, I test drove one a couple weeks ago and I felt like a little kid, the interior is so big.

Radin2son I would have definitely got the extended NV if offered , also 4x4 if they offered that. I know quigly converts them but without 4 LO range I don't think it would be worth the $12000 for me. My job sites are sandy and I am already worried about the stock tires from all of the reviews I have read on here. I also live on a limerock road though I don't think that will be a problem. I may have to bite the bullet and buy some better all terrain tires. I have had Michelin m/s and defenders on the econoline and they have been good. My transit is even worse with little 235/65 hankook tires. Do you guys know if the brake assisted limited slip will help a little on sandy job sites. Its not beach sand just sand that builders use for house pads the orange stuff. I'm still waiting to here from my dealer, I gave the deposit 2 weeks ago, he said he is working with Nissan and they are trying to move stuff around? I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here.

So far I like the Michelin Defenders, stock size for the 2500. Quiet on asphalt, great on dirt roads, mostly dry. Pick up quite a few stones, so you get to listen to them hitting the underside after you get back on pavement. If they decrease mpg, it isn't noticeable.

The Transforce tires do wear well. Over 62k on them with plenty of tread left. Arizona however was not kind to the sidewalls; cracking and not worth trying to get more miles.

Can you get the dealer to switch out the oem tires when you pick up your van?

I have consistantly gotten 70000 miles from michelins even in the florida sun. I am going to ask the dealer if they will switch out the tires but I wont hold my breath. Do you know of others who were able to get their tires switched?

Don't know. Others have listed usef for sale but not if they sold or not.

It can't hurt to ask.

Good to hear you got lots of miles on Michelines.

I have a mix of DG, sand and clay at our shop. So far NV seems OK in dry conditions. Can't be much worse than the limited slip in the old econoline. Not a fan of the stock tires. Love the Toyo open country tires on my Ford.  I didn't have much luck with Michelin's, but they were from Costco which I hear is not the same, rumor.. myth who knows, just never buying tires at Costco again. I put Noico sound mat on the rear wheel wells (inside the van) and it made a big difference in any rock throwing noise.  American van has a good window screens for the rear windows if you go that route. Still waiting for a bulkhead with a door (back ordered 4 weeks from CARiD.com.) 

I'm still thinking about a way to raise the drivers seat. I was going to unbolt it and buy longer grade 8 bolts with a 1/2" or 3/4" plate but there is also a pin that references the seat into position.  So back to the drawing board.  Might have to mill something to accept the pin as well as go into the reference hole to be legit.

Good to hear the NV is about as good as the econoline in dirt, which isn't saying much, but I know what not to drive in after 25+ years of driving them.  I will be getting those window screens at American van along with a rubber no slip floor mat for cargo area , roof racks and an aluminum conduit box for the roof. I've used American van since 2000 and never had a problem. Good luck with the seat, that sounds like a project. Might be easier to get a coccyx cushion (brand name "tush cush") If you dont care what people think. I dont care, I got one for back problems that I had years ago and still use it every day. Its extremely comfortable takes pressure off of your spine and raises you up about 1" or so.

. Way easier than rippin into that seat frame.

Edited by klineelectric

I think all new cargo vans come standard with a rubber mat with 3/4" denim pad underneath standard...My SV did.  Seems a little soft for commercial use...maybe it just has to compress a little more. Thanks for the cushion recommendation, I'll check it out.

The high top 2500's and 3500's are very popular here in the Puget Sound region for contractors and caterers.  IMO they are starting to out number the Fords, Dodge's, and Mercedes combined.

Well the van I ordered did not go through, dealer said Nissan has stopped production of all NVs this year. Another dealer I'm working with says there is one in Nissans "pipeline" to be built in July that is scheduled to be delivered to them. I guess we will see.

What a way to get a NV to the market...

Not that you can do anything about production, but is the SL trim making this more difficult? We have a 2012 cargo SV that has a chrome grill etc. but are there any other differences between cargo trim levels?

Jim Click in Tucson has 0 NV cargo vans on the lot.

Good luck on your search.

Edited by radin2son

What a way to get a NV to the market...

Not that you can do anything about production, but is the SL trim making this more difficult? We have a 2012 cargo SV that has a chrome grill etc. but are there any other differences between cargo trim levels?

Jim Click in Tucson has 0 NV cargo vans on the lot.

Good luck on your search.

That's what I thought about getting the NV to market.  I can see if its closer to the rollout of 2018s but nobody knows anything about any changes or when they begin production. I never imagined it would be so hard to get a cargo van, SL or not,  if there is a customer there should be a vehicle midway into the production year.!!!???

2017 NVs didn't show up at dealers until February or later, 2017 so it seems a bit early to stop production. Makes you wonder if they are making major changes for 2018. Some one posted seeing a cutaway box version. 2018 or creative owner?

Other than passenger NVs on AZ lots, almost all cargo NVs are white 1500. High tops are S or SV trim.

As an aside, we see fewer and fewer old Sprinter cargo vans. Replaced by? There are more new NVs a few more Promasters. Transits dominate and are almost always big fleet businesses.

I am seeing more NV fleet vehicles lately but they are all similar so could be older now.  I see fewer Transits than I used to.  I asked the granite installers about their Promaster and he did not like it.  He liked the space and the diesel had OK mileage but he hated the way it drove, handled, braked, etc.  He also doesnt like the front wheel drive when he is on construction sites like ours.  Zero traction in the clay mud.

I think the cat is out of the bag regarding the disposable vans being produced by everyone else. I thought I saw something recently that Chevy is going to drop a GM motor in a NV and slap their name on it. They have done this with Isuzu, seems like a logical move. I really think Nissan can't keep up with production, they have a good heavy duty reliable high roof cargo van and Transit, Sprinter and Promaster have respectively $#it the bed in some way or another. Local company near me has a fleet of 9 NV high roofs with refrigerated cargo boxes. You have to be confident with your choice before you cut a hole in the roof and stick a refrigerator unit on it. Look at the good used condition Ford econoline values-way up. The "fatal flaw in the Sprinter" article is killing Mercedes. There’s no way Nissan could have anticipated the surge in demand. I know I certainly spent enough time on the transit and sprinter forums before dropping $40K on a metal box with wheels. I'd rather wait for a good reliable Nissan NV to be built than wait @ the competitions service dept.

I agree I am waiting for the right NV, I just hope my 17 yr old e-350 can wait with me. LOL  I'm sure it will, I just don't want to put a lot of $ into it if something decides to go. I also wish Nissan would give some kind of hint on 2018 changes, If they were to offer an extended or factory 4x4 I would definitely wait.

Cummings put the Titan diesel in an NV when the Titan was being developed. So Nissan has all it needs to know to make this work, but will they?

Not likely per chris_cm in 2015. Same for extended van. Chris did say the cutaway cab was more likely. So was the NV box a "test mule?"

If Nissan finds your NV, I'd go for it.