Sign in to follow this  
sneezer

Help needed on a roof rack/ladder idea

I've seen some pics online of various roof rack options, and my wife would really like a certain look (see below). We just purchased a new NV (3500, black, loaded) and she wants to spruce it up a bit.

usera9a03fab1c616c9d920ea8ad23fd8abd--nissan

The above is NOT mine, but we like the look of it. Do you guys ave any suggestions on the roof rack pictured? We like the one above but would like to find one that is lower profile if possible, not quite as tall. Also, for any of you that have this type of set up, is wind noise a huge deal? I've heard that it can be very loud.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Welcome to the site and congrats on the NV.  Did you use the search function of this site?  It works pretty well and there are several rack topics posted.

Quick answer - that rack appears to be an Aluminess and they can build what you want.  They are not cheap.  Ladder is not Aluminess, appears to be a generic ladder you can get anywhere that sells van accessories other than they coated it black (most are chrome).

If you want a full basket rack Aluminess is among the best and they directly bolt on.  Others like a Smittybilt would need some mods on your end to bolt up.  There are bar racks, contractor racks, etc.  Aluminess makes ladders that bolt right up to their racks vs. the door.  Also not cheap.

Yes, racks can have a lot of wind noise and it can also reduce MPG.  It's just a fact of aerodynamics.  There are things you can do to reduce noise like fairings or wraps.  Again, that is all posted here.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the NV.  Did you use the search function of this site?  It works pretty well and there are several rack topics posted.

Quick answer - that rack appears to be an Aluminess and they can build what you want.  They are not cheap.  Ladder is not Aluminess, appears to be a generic ladder you can get anywhere that sells van accessories other than they coated it black (most are chrome).

If you want a full basket rack Aluminess is among the best and they directly bolt on.  Others like a Smittybilt would need some mods on your end to bolt up.  There are bar racks, contractor racks, etc.  Aluminess makes ladders that bolt right up to their racks vs. the door.  Also not cheap.

Yes, racks can have a lot of wind noise and it can also reduce MPG.  It's just a fact of aerodynamics.  There are things you can do to reduce noise like fairings or wraps.  Again, that is all posted here.

Thank you for the help...I'll look around the site a little more.

The search is basically Google for the site and it should work well enough.  There are/were a few rack threads.  You do have several options, it just depends on budget and how DIY you want it to be.  Aluminess will run you $1500+ along with a couple hundred at min for shipping.  A rack like my Topper is $400-ish.  Aluminess is custom to order.  Mine is a contractor rack that I made some easy mods to for my needs.

If you want a full basket like your photo and you want it to just bolt right on I think Aluminess is it.  A member here got a Smitty to bolt up as well but it is not a drop in fit.  If you have any offroad shops nearby they can build you something as well.  A few have gone that route.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

The search is basically Google for the site and it should work well enough.  There are/were a few rack threads.  You do have several options, it just depends on budget and how DIY you want it to be.  Aluminess will run you $1500+ along with a couple hundred at min for shipping.  A rack like my Topper is $400-ish.  Aluminess is custom to order.  Mine is a contractor rack that I made some easy mods to for my needs.

If you want a full basket like your photo and you want it to just bolt right on I think Aluminess is it.  A member here got a Smitty to bolt up as well but it is not a drop in fit.  If you have any offroad shops nearby they can build you something as well.  A few have gone that route.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Thank you so much for your help! I saw the pics of your roof rack, looks very nice. I think my wife wants the lower profile Aluminess rack, but I'm a little concerned with wind noise. The Aluminess rep I spoke with said that wind noise is decreased significantly if you get a rack with a floor. Would you agree with that, or would you suggest any of the other noise-reducing "fixes"?

I have been looking into getting a roof rack as well. I took the family on a 4K mile road trip and used a trailer hitch cargo carrier for the extra camping gear. I quickly realized that a roof rack would be much more convenient.

I like the Aluminess but $3k is pretty pricey. The ladder in the image above looks like the no-drill unit that Advanced makes. I think they cost about $450. I’ve seen a Smittybilt 50125AM for around $1100 but I don’t want to drill any holes in my roof and I doubtful that the fixed mount points will match with the Smittybilt rack. You mentioned that someone has installed a Smittybilt on their NV. I have searched the site and I haven’t found any posts about that. Can you tell me who installed a Smittybilt?

I’ve also been looking at the Alurack

https://www.industrialproducts.com/prime-design-ar1900-alurack-aluminum-rack-with-rear-rollers-for-nissan-nv-cargo-vans.html

Has anyone installed one of those on their van?