Mark Rogers

Tire recommendations

What do you recommend for an all-season tire for on-road use in a region that gets occasional snow and ice in the winter?  After last winter, I'm really not a fan of the OEM tires.  I'm not interested in snow tires because I don't want to switch out them every time the weather changes.

Some of the all-terrain tires are supposed to be good in the snow, but I don't know how they'll affect gas mileage, comfort, and road noise.  I'd also like tires that last a long time.

I'm not expecting miracles here, but there must be far better options than the tires that came with the van.  What are your recommendations?

We have GoodYear DuraTrac on mine mainly for winter (excellent for winter driving) But we like the ride (and looks) so much that we decided to keep them on all year. Ride is very nice. MPG difference is basically negligible (we went with larger tires). 

The DuraTrac looks like a good tire.  It's not available in the OEM size.  Which size did you get?

Also, do any of you have any opinions on tire siping?  It's a whole lot cheaper than new tires.  I've never tried it, so I don't know how much it would help the stock tires I have now.

I put Toyo Open Country AT2's on my van. Being a light truck tire , they should have plenty of traction but they still have a smooth ride and aren't noisy. I have 275 75 17 on the stock wheels, but I also converted my NV to a 4x4 and have a 2" lift on it.

Hankook Dynapro AT-M on mine.  No snow but we do have wet clay mud, sand, etc.  Do well in all of those, the stock Firestones had zero traction in comparison.  They are getting noisier as the tread wears down but I have over 25K miles on them.  

The DuraTrac looks like a good tire.  It's not available in the OEM size.  Which size did you get?

Also, do any of you have any opinions on tire siping?  It's a whole lot cheaper than new tires.  I've never tried it, so I don't know how much it would help the stock tires I have now.

I have 245/75/17. This size is one size up from stock NVP tires, but stock on NV 3500 Cargo vans. The tires fit without an issue. 

Siping would definitely help with traction, but at the expense of the tread life.