Sign in to follow this  
radin2son

Apple CarPlay

Just replaced our ‘05 VW (cassette player, CD and 12v phone charger through the cigarette lighter technology) with a ‘17 VW with Apple CarPlay.

The screen is huge compared to that on NVs and there is no need for navigation. Connect your iPhone via usb cable and you get Apple maps, the same that appear on your phone.

Downside. If you prefer google maps, they aren’t available unless you select Android etc. It would be interesting if you could interchange the 2 systems depending on phone being used in the same vehicle.

Other displayed apps include phone, messages, music and podcasts. There also is a VW app but it doesn’t seem to do much... it is used for car-net, a subscription security, accident, and roadside assistance app. Very poor ratings.

It may be that I need to “Play” with this some more but I suspect this is it. Edit: Looked at CarPlay site and you can add other apps, mostly music and radio, nothing really useful like pulling up the app for mobile scan of engine.

Is it worth it? The maps look good but... does it work? Only as well as the app on the iPhone... Siri will activate maps and destinations. I wonder if this can be done while driving? Easy enough to find out.

Would I replace the existing NV nav unit? No. It works well and all the time in the US and Canada. No coverage in Mexico though.

Edited by radin2son

2 weeks gone by. Reviews aptly describe CarPlay as “Good but not essential.”

Carplay works best when “Hey Siri.” Is set up on your iPhone. That way you can say “Hey Siri” and ask your question. It works while driving, so you can update directions. Can’t do this with navigation while driving our NVs.

We found a 6” lightening-USB cord made by Belkin. Apple cords are way too long. Shortest one we found was .5 meters.

Reviews also suggest Apple will continue to make improvements as part of their self driving project.

Rarely use this as our VW is an around town car. Tried it on a short trip out of town to a place we know the best route. Siri had her own thoughts and didn’t adjust as well to alternate routes as the NV nav unit. Finally, I verbally canceled the route while driving and Siri’s response was very close to “whatever” rad.

You can cancel the route with NV nav using the touch screen while driving. Keeps your eyes off the road for awhile...

Speed limits are shown on Apple maps and change with each speed limit sign. Nice feature. Frequent map updates? In general, the NV nav card is at least one year older than your NV. Sirius offers real time nav for a fee. Apple or android works with your plan with no extra fee.

I suspect CarPlay will not work well on dead zones. I hope it works a little better given the antenna should pull in a sketchy signal. Don’t get rid of your NV nav for this.

Happy New Year!