Hi All:

I am looking to do a wheel/rubber change out on my 2017 NV3500 SL.  I want to go to an all black wheel and a more aggressive A/T type wheel.  I have just started to research this topic and before I go see wheel/tire people I would like to educate myself a bit more.  I have included, what I hope is accurate, a listing of factory wheel/tire specs.

My confusion lies in the wheel diameter and offset.  I want to stay with the 17" wheel size but does anyone know how wide a rim I can go to or how much offset (+/-) can be utilized before any rubbing occurs?

Thanks for all your help.

NV Passenger NV3500 HD Bolt Pattern - PCD 8x165.1
Stock wheel offset - 18 to 20 mm
Center bore (hub bore) - 121.0
Thread size - M14 x 1.5
Stock Rim Sizes Range - 17x8.0 – 17x8.0
Tire sizes - 245/70 R17 – 245/70 R17

Hi macroman - since no one has answered your question I will help answer (notice I am answering my own question - lol).  I did a crap load of research on this and here is what I have learned.  Keep in mind I wanted to stay with a 17 inch wheel - this is my daily commuter.  I would love to through a set of 20" wheels on but not practical for me.

The stock wheels have a +40 mm offset and not the 18 to 20 mm that I was lead to believe - learning this really screwed things up but did save me a major headache.  This 40 mm offset is a real pain.  I want to stay with a 17" wheel so the tire aspect ratio stays tall and it helps to smooth out the ride.  Also 17" wheels and rubber and much less expensive that 20" wheels/rubber - lol. 

The problem is try to find a 17 x 8" wheel with an offset of greater than 25 mm - can't be done.  Anyway, I have settled on a wheel that has a 20 mm offset and moving from 7.5" factory wheel to an 8" wheel and along with the lesser offset my tire will push out about 26 mm.  Which will stick out past the fender lip a bit.  A distance that will look good yet make the vehicle more efficient to drive.

My info is same as macroman's info:

Stock wheel offset: 40 mm

Width: 17x7.5

I got a slightly larger tires (245/75/17: GoodYear DuraTrac) and went with American Outlaw Bunker. It's 17x8.5 with 10 mm offset. Tires are very close to the sliding door, but they do not rub. Here's a picture of the gap when the sliding door is fully open. My guess is any wider or lower offset will rub the door.

By the way, American Outlaw Bunker is hub centric (at 121.1).

post-1459-0-14147200-1511790269_thumb.jpg

Edited by chphilo

It's funny how when I look at your wheels they don't seem to stick out too far. But when you add the photo of the sliding door it sure does help to put things in perspective. Your rims and tires look good on your van chphilo! Thanks for the info - it helps.

It's funny how when I look at your wheels they don't seem to stick out too far. But when you add the photo of the sliding door it sure does help to put things in perspective. Your rims and tires look good on your van chphilo! Thanks for the info - it helps.

Thanks for the complement.

The sliding door is the bottle neck for Nissan van, I found out. I read up on everything I could to make sure that tire didn't rub the door. What's interesting is that with 245/70/17 (stock tires), I had more room between the door and the tire. My guess is that with 245/75/17's larger side wall, tires tend to bulge out, making the gap smaller.

Actually your wheels did it. 10 mm offset leaves the wheel out 30 mm farther towards the curb than factory. Then the 8.5" wheel, 1" wider than stock, adds about 12 mm push towards the curb. So that wheel is out 42 mm farther than stock. I think it looks good. If I didn't use my NV to commute to work everyday I would have gone with a wheel and tire that just clears the door. It's a great look on these vans.

Edited by macroman

I have heard of some guys going with a 265 tire but i am not sure what rim combination they used 

Trdriver71. That is the size tire I have settled on. Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65 R17. I have my wheels narrowed down to about 3 choices but they are all 17x8" wheels with an offset ranging between +20-30 mm.

Any photos? Final choices on Wheels?

Nothing yet. I will install wheels and tires in March or April. This gives me a bit more time to narrow down my wheel selection. I purchased my NV in late October and I figured I would run it through the winter as is. Start the customizing in spring.

Edited by macroman

How'd you end up. I'm looking to upgrade the rims on our 2018 NV 3500, but want to keep factory tires, if possible. It's TOUGH to find wheels that will fit!

What I finally found was a set of wheels from Black Iron Wheels (see link below).  What an impossible venture this was.  I went with a 17"x8.5" wheel and the rubber is a Falken WildPeak AT3 265/70 R17.  Wheels and rubber look great.  I am very happy.  The + 25 mm offset along with the wider wheel pushes the tire out exactly 1".  What I was after.  The only annoying thing - although this wheel - Vigilante - is still being advertised on their website, it is discontinued in the Satin Black and only available in silver.

http://www.blackironwheels.ca/Styles/vigilante/satin-black

Edited by macroman

On 11/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, macroman said:

Hi macroman - since no one has answered your question I will help answer (notice I am answering my own question - lol).  I did a crap load of research on this and here is what I have learned.  Keep in mind I wanted to stay with a 17 inch wheel - this is my daily commuter.  I would love to through a set of 20" wheels on but not practical for me.

The stock wheels have a +40 mm offset and not the 18 to 20 mm that I was lead to believe - learning this really screwed things up but did save me a major headache.  This 40 mm offset is a real pain.  I want to stay with a 17" wheel so the tire aspect ratio stays tall and it helps to smooth out the ride.  Also 17" wheels and rubber and much less expensive that 20" wheels/rubber - lol. 

The problem is try to find a 17 x 8" wheel with an offset of greater than 25 mm - can't be done.  Anyway, I have settled on a wheel that has a 20 mm offset and moving from 7.5" factory wheel to an 8" wheel and along with the lesser offset my tire will push out about 26 mm.  Which will stick out past the fender lip a bit.  A distance that will look good yet make the vehicle more efficient to drive.

I second the +40 mm offset.  The Nissan manual is 100% correct on that, and pretty much every aftermarket seller is wrong.  Also, if it helps anyone, you can go up to 20" wheels (with appropriate tire sizing) and shift inboard about 1/2 inch before loosing acceptable strut clearance.  Shift out is up to you and your paint job, but it won't be a clearance issue unless you go crazy.

In case it's helpful, I scored some 52013663ac rims off a ram ( I think from an '08/'09) that seem to fit great.  17x8 with a 43mm offset.  2" of clearance from the rim to the leafs, same clearance to the door.  Going to put some new 245/75R-17 blizzaks on them today .    My current rims are  17x8.5 which is adequate for mounting the big 285/70R17 K02s but I prefer a narrower tire and more of an OEM size for winter.   

20221026_172818.jpg

20221026_172759.jpg

I own a 2016 nv3500. I need some help. Want to install 22x9 but can’t find any info on clearance issues, back spacing strut 

Thanks to all involved in this thread and in particular Macroman, I went ahead and finally swapped out the wheels and tires to the family homeschooler bus.

Be sure to check prices from Amazon, Walmart and any other local chain and Discount Tire will price match!

Rides better than ever and looks great.  Happy!

Method 315

17x8.5 w/ 25 offset

General Grabber ATx

265/70r17 (made in Sud Africa)  

IMG_20231110_160746933.jpg

Edited by idamanjax75
added description