Sign in to follow this  
Alaskan

Hello From Alaska

In the hunt for an NV 3500HD. Saying good bye to the SUV.

Good choice. 20’ of truck frame will fit nicely on the ferry, if they eyeball it and think it is 19’. Unfamiliarity will work to your advantage.

Two commercial dealers to chose from. We had a good experience with the service manager and one of the techs in Fairbanks. We dropped by without an appointment and they literally dropped everything to see why the check engine light kept coming on. One of the emissions sensors that lead to repairs after warranty expired. Since it had been an ongoing problem, Nissan Commercial paid for the repair. The repair was done in NC.

Durability is a strong point...

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking to get a passenger van or a cargo van?

Thanks for the welcome!

Looking at a cargo. Trying to decide on the roof before making a decision. Leaning towards the high roof, but like the "look" of the low roof. We'll have to think it through, I did look at your gallery photos, and that's what makes it tough.

We have a B&B and have been transporting quests from the small cruise ship dock to the Inn using our QX80. Don't want to do that anymore, too many little dings, they can ride in the pickup truck instead. Throw them bags in the back as hard as you want. So, we want to travel in the Lower 48 and the Q is too small and I would never put the dog in it either. We have been Toyota people and no complaints there, but the Q has made us Nissan fans, and the van appears to be right up our alley.

My wife and I are true believers and have solemn faith in the adage, "tonnage has the right of away". We like what the van brings.

If you’re going to use it at your B&B, the high top cargo gives you standup room but no seating or windows. Extra seating has been a real issue; see posts. Also a costly conversion.

If it will only be your lower 48 cruiser, diy converters go with the high top.

The NVP gives you windows. Rear seats can be removed. Several companies are going with removable modular cabinets etc. for other, usually smaller vans. The problem is standup room. A poptop will run $10,000+.