Lakehouse

Hi Group. Thanks for the add!

Just bought a new 17 NVP3500 in Java.

I absolutely love it and can’t wait to get it out camping.

The plan is black wheels (haven’t decided between 265/60R20 or 285/70R17 and an aluminess rack and ladder.

I’ll also be pulling out the back row to make room for an elevated bed with storage underneath. Ohh yeah, and curtains.

There’s a member that I found via a google search which is how I found this site. His name is sdiesel and he has the exact mods I’m looking for minus the bull bar. (Attached pic of his rig)

Anyone know his wheel/tire specs?

Anyway, looking forward to checking out the site and talking with other NV owners!

Cheers for Arizona

post-2405-0-11095400-1511028461_thumb.png

Welcome. The name is not familiar; possibly a Facebook member.

Curtains can be a challenge. Some of the new modular builders are using fitted panels to cover the windows. Also easy to remove. You can possibly make your own... Windshield and door shades are available from Eurocamper, or you can make your own with the same readily available material.

Thanks guys! I’m super excited about the NV.

Radin2son - I see your in Tucson. I’m in phoenix. I’d love to do that poptop like yours. Is that something that can be done after purchasing an NV or do you need to purchase one of theirs new with the camper already? Also, where do you go to have it installed if you can do it after the fact.

Any interior pics of it? What happened to your ceiling lights and a/c vents?

Our 2012 NV 2500 “cargo” was converted by Sportsmobile West in Fresno. Nothing but sheet metal to cut through, although we wish there was an ac vent for the back when driving.

You can contact SMB in Fresno to see if they will do it, but they no longer list NVs as vans they convert. Expect it to cost $10k+. If Fresno says no, try the other 2 SMB converters. Their site is

www.sportsmobile.com

Jon Nelson had another converter install a poptop on his high top van. Search his posts or try sending him a pm. There also may be another converter back east.

SMB West has a used NVP without a poptop for sale ($53k+) with interior photos. The floor plan has the couch/bed on the driver side and cabinets etc on the other. Our floor plan is the same as our long gone ‘83 VW.

The poptop can handle 100 pounds+ when up. So you may want to rethink the type of rack you would use. An electric top will add $$$$. We don’t have this and the top requires heavy lifting...

One negative that we just accept from prior experience is just how noisy the poptop is, wind noise and the hardware rattles on rough road. Still can carry on a conversation...

You will enjoy this van no matter how you convert it. Bamps has put his NV low top to good use.

Edited by radin2son

Welcome to the forum.  You are in good hands with radin2son. He is full of useful information. Post some pictures of your van when you get a chance.

Lakehouse, weretherussos.com has a video of their tour of SMB West. This include a clip on the “penthouse,” aka poptop.

Also, there is a NV SMB orientation video on YouTube and Vimeo. This will give you the best info for your conversion. Someone may have posted the link already under conversions. Same for the “Magic” video. The Magic video is worth looking at even for those not planning to convert their NV.