andy_george

Check Engine Light on.... bad O2 sensor

Check engine light came on a few days ago (2014 NVP V8, 56,000miles) I stopped by Fox Nissan in Grand Rapids, MI today to have the code read. They wouldn’t hook it up without an appointment. Made me a little upset, but whatever....

So I had Autozone run it, immediately, free of charge. Bad O2 sensor on bank 1, sensor 2. I’m assuming this would be covered under the 5yr./100,000 mile powertrain, right? Or would they try to weasel out of it and call this something other than powertain, you think? If so I’ll just take it to our local mechanic. Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is 5yr/100k bumper to bumper.  No?  

O2 sensor is normally considered "emissions" which can also have a different warranty.  Should not have gone bad already.  Since you are in MI I wonder if salt corroded the heck out of the wire connection.  

I was also thinking 5/100,000 everything, but the guy at the dealer made a remark about powertrain warranty vs. chassis warranty, blah blah blah. Quite possibly he was misinformed or blowing smoke.

I plan to look under the hood more tonight. It could possibly be corrosion related, but as picky as I am about avoiding salt as much as possible all winter, spraying the undercarriage down religiously, etc. my gut tells me it’s just a faulty, short lived sensor. Time will tell!

Checked out the sensor.... easy to get to, right behind the cat, under the drivers seat area. Connections all looked good and the condition of everything is like brand new.

So I ordered an OEM sensor from Rockauto.com for $70, since I checked out the warranty and it looks like the sensors are emissions related and only covered to 50,000 miles.

The check engine light remained on for a day, but this entire weekend it hasn’t come back on. So I may have wasted my money, or I may need it again soon if the light comes back on. I’ll update this post...:/

Update: while vacationing at the Inlaws over Easter in Nebraska, the check engine light came back on. Luckily I had the O2 sensor with me, so I scurried under the van and changed it. After 2 startups the light went off, and has been off since.