Dave

Cabin Air Filter - Where?

I 'm trying to find out if my NV1500 V6 has a cabin air filter. I know its fairly common now. I change our 2009 Subaru's every 15K, and my NV just passed 15K.

I asked my service writer at the dealer today when I had the door latch recall done, and they had no idea.

Hi Dave,

The NV's do not come with a factory installed cabin filter, but there is a place for one located behind the glove box. After removing the glovebox there is a black door about 8 inches long located near the fan housing. Unclip the door and install a filter. The filter is the same one as the Nissan GTR cabin filter. Remove the door and insert the filter and reinstall the glove box. I did mine about 3 months ago. Remember to include the replacement routine into your maintenance schedule at 30K miles. I have a few pictures I took when I did mine let me know if you need them.

Tom

I would like to have a look at your cabin filter pictures. I have a 2012 nv 2500 hd converted to wheel chair acess and any air quality improvements I can do to the interior would be very helpful. If you can send those photos or post them on this forum I would really apreciate it.   thanks

Let me start by saying I have many allergies & the cabin filter is a real blessing. A huge thanks to tmbrook for pointing this feature out.

Yes the filter that fits the Nissan GTR fits perfectly. At O Reilly Auto parts they sell the Micro Guard # 3696 that fits perfectly. O Reilly's website says the WIX 24479 & the Fram CF 10743 also fit though I can't confirm for sure.

To put the filter element in requires that you remove the glove box. That means you must remove the lower portion of the dash that the glove box is mounted in. I've attached some pics to help explain this.

This is the lower dash area with the glove box removed.

post-430-0-80148800-1373047256_thumb.jpg

This is the front of the dash where the 7 screws are located. The 2 arrows in the middle are for the 2 screws inside the glove box on both sides of the metal catch:

post-430-0-14592700-1373047409_thumb.jpg

Once you have the dash out, the filter box is right above the fan motor. Remove the cover by pressing the plastic clips on each side as marked:

post-430-0-81875300-1373047508_thumb.jpg

Insert the filter with the directional flow arrow on the side pointing down. That's pretty much it. Just put everything back together.

When putting the dash back together, there is a plastic lip that runs down the entire right side of the dash piece that you removed. It sticks out only one eighth of an inch.  This lip will tuck under your black rubber weather stripping for the door.

Edited by vanguy

Vanguy - thanks for such a detailed post! The extra effort you took is greatly appreciated!

Glad to help!

Thanks to Tmbrook and Vanguy!

I can confirm Fram CF10743 fits as well.

Ok dumb question. Do I really need an air filter? Why would Nissan include a spot for the filter but then not put a filter in? Makes me believe it's probably not that critical. Am I wrong?

My guess is that the fan and housing are interchangable with another Nissan model, so the spot to put the filter is already there. I would put one in if I worked in dusty conditions like new building sites. Or like vanguuy that has a family member with alergies to airborne particles. Nissan may have left it out just to save money.

Though obviously not critical to the function of the van, it may enhance occupant comfort? We might need the Mythbusters for this one :)

Our dash is frequently "dusty" somehow, so I figure it was worth a shot to try a filter. We never drive with the windows open, so I surmise the dust must be coming in through the HVAC system somehow. We live in a suburban, paved subdivision but there is some farming in our surrounding area. My in-laws live in the "country" so we encounter about 200 feet of gravel road when we visit them a few times a month. I'll check the filter for visible dirt after 10,000 miles or so, and decide if the $20 filter is paying its way. I'll try to remember to post my highly scientific findings :)

The rear HVAC looks as if it recirculates cabin air only. If not, it may be a more significant source of dust & pollen than the front unit. The majority of the Rear system appears to live below the floor on the drivers side, about 3/4 of the way back. If it is drawing in outside air somehow, it should most definitely be filtered in a manner that doesn't require a screwdriver IMO. No mention of a rear filter in anything I've read to date.

I'm with Tom that Nissan had a price point they needed to hit and tossed a number of nice to have, but not essential, creature comforts we've been missing. The list so far at my house: Vanity mirrors in the visors ($20?) , rear venting windows ($250?), trim over the rear door latch ($125?), a master dome light switch & associated additional wiring ($50?), and now this filter ($20) That's about $415 in part cost so MSRP might be down say $750-$1000 as a result? Would we pay the extra $1000? Not sure now that it is all added up... Maybe I'd forego the rear venting windows :)

Let me start by saying I have many allergies & the cabin filter is a real blessing. A huge thanks to tmbrook for pointing this feature out.

Yes the filter that fits the Nissan GTR fits perfectly. At O Reilly Auto parts they sell the Micro Guard # 3696 that fits perfectly. O Reilly's website says the WIX 24479 & the Fram CF 10743 also fit though I can't confirm for sure.

To put the filter element in requires that you remove the glove box. That means you must remove the lower portion of the dash that the glove box is mounted in. I've attached some pics to help explain this.

attachicon.gifIMAG0211.jpg

This is the front of the dash where the 7 screws are located. The 2 arrows in the middle are for the 2 screws inside the glove box on both sides of the metal catch:

attachicon.gifDash Front.jpg

Once you have the dash out, the filter box is right above the fan motor. Remove the cover by pressing the plastic clips on each side as marked:

attachicon.gifBox Front.jpg

Insert the filter with the directional flow arrow on the side pointing down. That's pretty much it. Just put everything back together.

When putting the dash back together, there is a plastic lip that runs down the entire right side of the dash piece that you removed. It sticks out only one eighth of an inch.  This lip will tuck under your black rubber weather stripping for the door.

Though obviously not critical to the function of the van, it may enhance occupant comfort? We might need the Mythbusters for this one :)

Our dash is frequently "dusty" somehow, so I figure it was worth a shot to try a filter. We never drive with the windows open, so I surmise the dust must be coming in through the HVAC system somehow. We live in a suburban, paved subdivision but there is some farming in our surrounding area. My in-laws live in the "country" so we encounter about 200 feet of gravel road when we visit them a few times a month. I'll check the filter for visible dirt after 10,000 miles or so, and decide if the $20 filter is paying its way. I'll try to remember to post my highly scientific findings :)

The rear HVAC looks as if it recirculates cabin air only. If not, it may be a more significant source of dust & pollen than the front unit. The majority of the Rear system appears to live below the floor on the drivers side, about 3/4 of the way back. If it is drawing in outside air somehow, it should most definitely be filtered in a manner that doesn't require a screwdriver IMO. No mention of a rear filter in anything I've read to date.

I'm with Tom that Nissan had a price point they needed to hit and tossed a number of nice to have, but not essential, creature comforts we've been missing. The list so far at my house: Vanity mirrors in the visors ($20?) , rear venting windows ($250?), trim over the rear door latch ($125?), a master dome light switch & associated additional wiring ($50?), and now this filter ($20) That's about $415 in part cost so MSRP might be down say $750-$1000 as a result? Would we pay the extra $1000? Not sure now that it is all added up... Maybe I'd forego the rear venting windows :)

I would like to have a look at your cabin filter pictures. I have a 2012 nv 2500 hd converted to wheel chair acess and any air quality improvements I can do to the interior would be very helpful. If you can send those photos or post them on this forum I would really apreciate it.   thanks

attachicon.gifIMAG0211.jpg

attachicon.gifDash Front.jpg

attachicon.gifBox Front.jpg

Thanks guys! I used your suggestions and purchased the Nissan part, put it in and went for a three day drive in the mountains --air quality for my daughter really improved! I hope you fellas have a pleasant weekend.

Just wanted to say thanks to tmbrook and vanguy for the tips! Filter was a snap to install!

Easier way is to open the glovebox, squeeze in the 2 black side posts, and pull out the whole glovebox.

Still have to do all 7 bolts.

Don't go to Nissan for the filters, they (per record) have no filter for the NVP.  I got mine from Oreilly or Autozone (2012 Nissan NV3500 SV V8 5.6L).

MicroGard 3696 is the correct part # at O'Reilly (or anywhere that sells MicroGard).  It's the same one that goes in the Nissan GT-R.

Thanks for the pics and PN.  Great help!

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, I installed one and the NV is listed in their database now. The filter i purchased came in 2 pieces.

Thanks Kenmnv

I have a 2012 NV2500 and I ordered an air filter from reading this thread, and I wasnt expecting to find one installed, but I actually had a factory filter installed in mine and it was pretty clean, but I swapped it out anyway as this one was a better one.

x

Edited by Jerry

watch out for the little plastic pegs that stick out.  I didn't have mine completely lined up and bent them.  I was able to bend them back straight but the plastic did turn white as if it tell me that this is your last time bending me before I snap off.

I realize this is a very late addition to this thread, but it made for interesting reading.  I figured out how to install my cabin air filters without the benefit of this forum. :)  And it would have helped to know some of the tips found here. 

So here's the reason I'm commenting.  Someone mentioned all the additional items it would have been "nice to have" as standard.  When I was in the process of searching out a replacement van, my former neighbor worked in QA for Nissan.  He's the one that told me about the NV.  He's also the person that told me the NV passenger (and the smaller NV200) were being developed and marketed extensively in the airport/hotel shuttle and taxi businesses.  Obviously the work truck versions were targeted at commercial uses too. The dealer told me that Nissan spent nearly 5 years developing the NV - and that included bringing in a large number of Ford Econoline and Chevy/GMC van owners to find out what those vehicles lacked that should be included in a new van.  The center console was installed because most everyone complained about the lack of storage space in the glove box.  In fact, our former GMC Savana van didn't even have a glove box!  Consumers wanted removable seats, but not in the lengths & weight that the Ford and Chevy/GMC had.  Let me tell you, it was a real pain to remove that back seat in the Savana.  We really like that the NV has a max of 2 seats coupled.  Why no sliding door on the drivers side?  Because the hotel/airport people said they wouldn't use it.  I could go on with other examples that were told to me - but you get the point.  It was user feedback that dictated a lot of what ended up in the NV - along with the cost/benefit stuff.  I only wish I'd been one of those asked for input. 

Interesting summary. I don't see Nissan Commercial making significant changes in the look of the van, other than adding extended and cab only versions, but it would be great if they would do a follow up user feedback, particularly from NVP owners.