Sign in to follow this  
Abejohnson

New Vanbuild Progress

I figured I'd start a new thread for my 2013 NV Hightop conversion build process. I'll try to post pictures as I go. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me. 

This first batch is the install of a vent and sunroof. Stressful projects but definitely worth it.

post-2465-0-32200100-1520802523_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-71359300-1520802540_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-80641500-1520802567_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-33374700-1520802578_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-18560800-1520802593_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-47348800-1520802609_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-39351000-1520802621_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-94525700-1520802632_thumb.jpg

Daring project. Looks good. Both will let on a lot of day light when parked. At night, you will look like a regular work van.

Do you plan to drive with the sunroof open? No one has mentioned noise from the ladder mounts.

Let us know if you notice any structural issues due to the rib being cut, especially with the sliding door. Had some conversations on that here in the forum before.

What did you use to seal the fan? It looks a bit like silicone? I hopr it's not. You really want to use self leveling sealant...the silicone will get brittle in the UV light and with the elements!! just fyi!

@Radin2son I don't plan on driving with the sunroof open. It's more for light and ventilation when parked. I will try though just to see what its like.

@mahu As far as I see the structure wasn't effected much. It's a little weaker if you were to walk around the sunroof but I don't plan on doing so. As far as sealant I used Lexel. I've used it in the past and its worked well. If it goes bad I can always replace it.

I would drive with it open if not too noisy. Unlike NVPs, there are no vents for the cargo area. It gets very warm back there. The ac and heat for the cabin area work well.

No one has posted extending the existing duct work. One of our dogs will lie on the floor next to the center bin to get cooler. That may be the only place you could easily add a vent.

Unless you need the height to stand up, I would think you could add a cross beam if needed. He has since sold his high top conversion, but Jon Nelson had a poptop installed. He needed the “very large hole,” not his words, to be able to stand up.

It will be interesting to see how you will carry or store your bikes. I’ve always like the garage/bed platform. A rack is a pain when using the rear doors. A roof rack adds too much height.

Keep the posts coming.

@Radin2son I'll post an update on road noise after I try with the sunroof open.

I may look into extending the duct work. i hadn't thought of that before.

I'm 6' 4'' so I definitely need the height to stand. If I ever add supports I'll post pics.

I'm going to do the garage/platform thing for the bed. I don't feel comfortable leaving my bikes outside the van. Plus it looks a little more "stealthy".

Great job on the ceiling. Are you going to seal it as is? I’ve seen posts of silmilar wood build outs but never in a NV.

I remember some of your first post. Are you going full on dirtbag or part time?

I may use some linseed oil on the ceiling. Haven't decided yet, the natural look isn't bad.

I'll be going full time dirtbag for a while. Working here and there while traveling.

Natural look with linseed oil is a good look.

Do you have a timeline for your build? Plenty of great public land out west for the time being. Saw an ad for an interesting coalition of wilderness, outdoor industry, and bullets/hooks.

My build timeline is this week. I'm on spring break so I figured I could get it at least 80% of the way done. 

Looks good.

Do your plans include water storage? If you haven’t done this before or not traveled in the west, you will need this. Doesn’t matter what system you use. If you are just going to go with containers, consider the rectangular store bought gallon containers. Easy to store and refill. Buy a gas funnel just for filling. We carry 30+ gallons, 20 in a tank, the rest in gallon containers. There are places where you will have no choice to buy water.

I have traveled out West before so I understand the importance of water storage. I am planning to use a few large plastic jugs to hold adequate water. 

Today's doing: 

Bed and other wheel well cover built. 

Bed has a section that is removable to make it into a couch and allow for more floor space.

post-2465-0-73546200-1521329475_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-30176500-1521329486_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-23152900-1521329498_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-09371800-1521329509_thumb.jpg

Great idea regarding the bed. Will you store the panel on the other? Looks like you have enoughroom for bikes, front wheel off, which seems the most common way with fork mount bolted to floor.

Yes, the panel will most likely be stored on top of the rest of the bed. (under the mattress)

I can fit 2 bikes on the right-hand side with the front wheels off. The area will be closed in from the rest of the van and have waterproof floor and walls for wet/muddy bikes.

Also have started on a "kitchen" unit that will have shelving for food and a top to put a stove on.

Unfortunately I have to start up school again but I'll still do some work when I can and post updates. 

post-2465-0-29937000-1521407157_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-34232200-1521407170_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-17700900-1521407181_thumb.jpg

post-2465-0-31469800-1521407193_thumb.jpg

I saw an option for cabinets on a Sprinter build. Instead of doors on every cabinet, they used cargo netting. Not sure where it was sourced, but it looked functional. Things will bounce around on shelves...

I haven't looked at Instagram, Travelogue, by Tim Lutz (?) in his NV in a long while.  He had some interesting ways of organizing things.

Now that you are back in school, you can do some serious day dreaming on destinations.  

With the shelves I plan on storing containers inside (milk crate/wooden crate) that hold other smaller things. There won't be doors, just a bungee cord or similar stretchy material to hold it in place.

My build timeline is this week. I'm on spring break so I figured I could get it at least 80% of the way done. 

Haha - I love that you’re knocking this out & your timeline is “this week”. I’ve been working on mine for three years! Actually, probably three weeks over the course of three years; hard to come up with the time.

Daydreaming may not be the correct word; virtual completion and travel may be a better fit.

Our NV SMB virtually came out of a box, but we spent untold hours crunching numbers, custom vs diy, new vs used, Ford vs MB vs Nissan... Ultimately, it came down to will it fit in our carport and will we use it enough to justify $65,000?

Nissan won out; it was the only one that fit and we have used it.

Great van no matter how you convert or use it, virtually or otherwise.

Small Update:

Front bumper repainted and light bar installed. (not the best pictures)

Not pictured is Titan airbox mod. Seems good so far.

Do you notice any difference w/ the airbox mod? 

Did you paint the bumper, or have it done?

Edited by Chris J. Dempsey