texcofarmer

HELP!! want to upgrade trailer to torque t32, weighs 8400? can i tow with my nv2500

hello everyone:

this has been the best place for me to obtain information to assist with any issues that i have with my trnsition from pickup truck.  currently, i am in need of some assistance.  i own a nissan nv2500 hightop v8.  i am looking to purchase the torque t32 toyhauler bumper pull which weighs 8400 dry. i will need to tow this from texas to colorado.  the rv dealer thinks that this may be pushing it since the tow capacity for nv2500 hightop v8 is 9500.  needless to say, i am perplexed because i am under the impression that i can safely tow 9500 lbs as per nissan.  

does anyone have any insight or experience with pulling a trailer this size.  any information will be greatly appreciated.  thank you in advance!!!

main.jpg

main.jpg

photos of the torque t32 and specs

• Condition: New
  • Year: 2018
  • Make: Heartland
  • Model: TORQUE T32
  • Class: Toy Hauler
  • Category: Travel Trailer
  • Gross Vehicle Weight: 8,400
  • Stock Number: 1463668
  • Slide Outs: 1
  • Length: 34

Waaaay too heavy.  8400 Toyhauler means it is built to carry a lot of weight in the garage and will have a huge tongue weight.  1200# dry from the specs I found.  That is bad.  Second, the GROSS carrying load is 14,000# from the specs I read.  At bare min figure 1000# for a normally loaded camper so you are at 9400 lbs.  My issue is that every model I see for sale including brand new ones list the Dry weight at 9500#.

Combined capacity for a low roof NV is 16,000# for camper and NV.  I dont see you staying under that with that large of a toy hauler plus all the payload inside your van unless you carry dead empty and even then i dont see it happening. Sorry.

The toy hauler in my sig line is a Hyperlite 27 that weighs in at 7600 lbs LOADED and that is checked on a CAT scale.  

Thank you for the response.

Does the Nissan have the capability to pull 9400 lbs safely or is there another lower max number that we should try to stick to?

We lost our home in Harvey so we want to have something comfortable to stay in while we transition, we need some space coming from a large home now to a trailer. We will be living in it and the current trailer we have is just too small for us to function. With that said, anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

We selected the toy hauler option because it gives us separate spaces for work or just hanging out, not to tow any toys. We like the layout/style of toyhauler with the space. The torque t32, was a great option we thought because it has the side deck to have coffee or watch tv without disturbing the whole trailer. It felt more like a home if that makes any sense??

Just difficult trying to figure it out, so any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you

9400 would be the upper limit, like I said you really want to be under 16,000 combined and if you are full timing it you will have a lot of "stuff" in the van and camper.  

They do make ultralight campers now, some are 34' and weigh in at 6000 lbs dry.  The issue is the lighter weight can sometimes mean cheaper material and you end up having to reinforce stuff all the time or fix broken items.  That adds weight!  

Old Airstreams are quite light for their size but can be rather expensive.  They are built to last decades though.  

We bought our toy hauler for the separate rooms as well.  My kids or dogs can hang out in the garage and make a mess and my wife and I can hang out up front.  The only toys we haul are kids stuff or things like bikes or kayaks.  If you want that style just keep looking but maybe go down in size a little.

If you ask around a lot of long time campers the general rule of thumb is to try and stick to 20% under your max rating.  That would mean something around 7500 lbs.

I am sure your NV will pull 10,000 lbs easily, especially on flat ground.  If you keep pushing the limit you will end up with more wear and tear on the van.  I also just noticed you have a 2500.  I think the 3500 has beefier rear springs so you may need to look to make sure you can handle the tongue weight OK.  

Finally, not sure if you read much into it but the V8 towing a tall heavy camper will get you around 8 mpg...  Just something to consider if you are hauling his all over the place.  You can only get 160 miles or so per tank before you need to hunt down a gas station!