Wezard

Full Time Rear View Camera + backup camera

Been looking and researching for a while and not getting much for a full time rear view camera. I finally bought the Rear View Safety 3rd brake light with mirror replacement monitor. The camera seems well built and fit well, but is totally useless for full time rear view, and not too great at back up. It's on a high top, and if aimed where I can see the trailer hitch ball, (and only the ball), I get about 6 or 8 feet behind me. If I aim it all the way up I get 15 or 18 feet. I like the monitor, and the fact that it has a separate input controller for 3 cameras, I can connect 3 cams or 2 cams and a DVR and only run one cable through the headliner to windshield.

I've searched the forums here, and elsewhere,  not finding much on full time. Plenty on backup cameras, but those are cheap and plentiful. A full time rear view camera should be 60 to 90 degree. I'm finding 130 to 170 degree. Note that a typical windshield mount mirror gives around a 30 degree view. Anything over 90 degree makes judging distance nearly impossible. 

I can find plenty of cameras suitable for full time in AU, NZ and UK, but it seems that in America, the only things available are very wide angle. I'm not sure about importing one as most seem to be PAL, and I'm not sure they will display on a normal US monitor.

You can buy a converter to make a PAL video signal work with an NTSC monitor, or you could buy a PAL monitor to go with a PAL camera.  But neither one of those seems like a great solution.  Please let us know what solution you find.

I'm thinking of giving this one a try

https://www.yantechusa.com/dual-twin-double-lens-rear-view-backup-camera-color-ccd-night-vision-wide-angle.html

But that means throwing away the $200.00 Rear View Safety 3rd brake light. And I'd prefer a 60 degree.

Rear View Safety did get back to me, and their switcher does support PAL. But the imports are bit on the pricey side. Up side is, I can import a white one.

I purchased (Amazon) and installed an Autovox X1 dash cam system. This works awesome on my 3500 cargo. I’m converting it to a camper, and the sofa bed blocks a clear view out the back windows. You can set up the monitor (replaces your rear view mirror) such that it constantly streams the view from your rear camera. Downside for you is that the camera is approx 130 degrees (and uses a proprietary connector) .... but that wider view virtually eliminates my blind spots. As soon as a vehicle disappears from the mirror/screen, it is in my peripheral vision. The screen is the entire mirror, not a “window” within the mirror, and the resolution is crystal clear, unlike the stock rear view camera. There are a number of useful videos on YouTube... they do not overstate the quality of image. If you hard wire to a constant 12v source, the camera will respond to g forces when parked and record accidents or break ins even if the system is not visibly “on”. I’m a fan.