niknoid

SUV'er Considering VanLife

Nik here. New to the idea of van life. Looking into an NV because I'm 6'6" and uncomfortable in the driver seat of my other options. Looking to pick up a new or used V8, and have it 4x4 modified. Not that I want to go rock crawling just like having the insurance. I have many questions:

1. I sat in a cargo and a passenger version of the NV, I think the cargo version mounts the driver's seat closer to the dash than the passenger version. Can anyone confirm? If so, is this a simple act of unbolting and moving the seat back to different mounting holes?
  2. If I only want one row of seats, can they be installed into a cargo version? Are the mounting brackets in the floor in the cargo? Do I have to buy a passenger and sell off the extra seats?

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't ask these questions here but they are bugging me like crazy!

-Nik

If you don’t need the hightop, and want a rear seat, go with the NVP.

Others have considered adding a rear seat to the cargo van. There are 2 versions: one was a custom single seat in a work van and the other was a bench seat taken from a Transit. If you cannot do this yourself, you will be hard pressed to find an installer.

I would look for a used diy conversion or one of thirty built by Sportsmobile. There are 2 SMB floor plans, both with seats and seatbelts for 5 passengers. A used hightop conversion in SLC sold for $40k and standard top may still be on the market for $53k or so. It does not have a poptop.

You are in the right area to find one as well as have Advanced do the 4x4 conversion.

post-376-0-59306900-1526916309_thumb.jpeg

Edited by radin2son

Thanks, those Sportsmobile floor plans are well though out but don't work for me being 6'6". I need to sleep two and guess I'm going to need to setup the bed length-wise. Additionally, I'll be wanting to load in a motorcycle from time to time; so the cargo version with self installed (removable) bench is more appealing. That said I'm just beginning to research this idea.

The more info you can provide, the more info you will get. REI blog has plans for a folding bed along the driver side with room for a bike, but does not give you room for a rear seat.

Stand up height is less of a problem in the high top than the NV being too short in length for your needs.

Check out Adventure Journal. There is a Chevy box truck conversion for a surfer.

Have you considered a large crew cab with slide in?