Randucci

Notice from Nissan on NAV update question...

I received a email notice from Nissan that of a Navigation map update was available for my 2016 (which I purchased new in March of 2017, the 2017s weren't out yet). Has anyone purchased the update? If so, how is the NAV system updated? Do they send you something or is it fed automatically some way? Thanks.

I purchased the update in 2017 for our 2012 NV; the oem card was from 2011. They will send you a new nav card to plug in and that updates the system.

2 things to keep in mind:

1. The Nav system was was updated in 2014-15 and there are 2 cards, different parts numbers. The order format is clear about which one to order.

2. Most of the updates year to year have been places. We didn’t think this warranted a new card every time they sent a notice. You probably have a 2015 card (pop it out and it should have a date) so the road maps should be accurate.

Others are using Sirius with real time updates. My 2017 VW has Apple car play which uses their updated maps and only works where there is service. (Same for iPhones.) Google maps are not available unless you opt to use Android. If you have one of these or plan to, I wouldn’t bother with updating the nav card for 5 years or so...

Does Sirius provide map updates?  I thought it only provided traffic alerts.

We have magnetic phone mounts in our vehicles so my wife and I can easily use Google maps without messing with the built-in nav system.  It works with iPhone and Android, and Google provides map updates all the time for free.  You can also download maps to use offline so you don't need to use any cellular data.  But if you want to use a tiny amount of data, Google also provides free traffic alerts.

Our built-in nav system almost never gets used.

I am probably wrong about Sirius real time updates beyond traffic alerts. It has been a long time since I looked at their info.

Well mostly wrong. Looked up their system and it appears it uses existing NV nav maps. Not sure how it does this, but it color codes your route for speed flow in major cities as well as shows accidents, construction and road closure.

No separate maps.

NV nav is more than good enough for us and supplements the paper road and recreation maps we already have. Nav shows and names all roads, even forest service roads to include campground loops.

Edited by radin2son

Our NV nav also is rarely used as in we don’t put in destinations. It is a cumbersome process and needs a specific street address, highway or road intersectiond to recognize where you want to go. Although we wish the map showed a larger area, it is useful if you generally know where you want to end up.

The best use has always been getting through large cities, but by that time you have service and can use Apple or google maps. I don’t see any value in Sirius unless you already regularly use it for music etc.