tibby

Towing travel trailer NV 3500HD SL

Hello,

We are new owners of a 2013 Nissan NV 3500 HD SL trim (leather, navigation, tow).  We are looking to pull a travel trailer that weighs 6000 pounds, loaded with our gear probably 7500.  From everything that I can figure out, our van is capable of towing 8700 since it has the Nissan factory towing package?  Can anyone confirm that this is correct?  I know we have to have the electronic brake control installed first.

Has anyone pulled a load of similar weight?  Could you offer me any insight?

Thanks in advance!

I have almost the exact setup. Our travel trailer is the Shadow Cruiser 280QBS and is supposedly about 5500 lbs dry. I'm about 7000 lbs fully loaded. Our NV 3500 HD SL does very well pulling this, much better than our Chevy Express van. I live in the rocky mountains so we end up going through the mountains quite a bit. The van does slow down considerably on the steep uphill grades, but that's expected (need a diesel to avoid that IMO). I can pull the trailer down the freeway at 70-75mph and the van stays at about 2500 rpm. Make sure you have a weight distribution hitch (and of course the brake controller) and just be prepared to be patient on any big hills.

I am considering getting the roadmaster suspension add-ons in the back that one other member on this forum has. Not sure if/when I'll do it but that apparently makes things even better. 

i have a V8 3500 that is constantly loaded with 1500-2000lbs and i towed a 1200lb trailer and i noticed it sagging a little. i would definatley reccomend airbags or adding more leafs for that size load

Thank you so much for your help.  I just talked to Nissan about getting an electric brake controller installed - and they quoted me $250!  This seems ridiculously expensive.  Did either of you guys install your own?  Which one did you buy?

I did just talk to the trailer rental company and told them I wanted to rent a weight distribution hitch along with the trailer.  Thanks for that pointer!  We ended up being able to switch to a lighter hybrid trailer that only weighs 3220, which we will load up to approx. 4700.  

We had two hybrids before we bought our Shadow Cruiser. Hybrids are nice and light but watch out for the wind....we had some heavy winds that busted the bracket that holds up the tent. Investing in a weight distribution hitch like Equalizer (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/) is a good investment.

WRT brake controllers, make sure you get a good one. I got the Tekonsha (http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ) and installed it myself. The install wasn't horrible but if you're not super handy you may want to pay someone to do it.

I have a 3500 NVP V8 SL with tow/nav and I pull a 2012 Outback 301BQ that weighs 7130 dry and I figure it's about 8500 loaded.  I have an Equalizer hitch and use a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller that I installed in the cubby below the radio.  I really like how this thing pulls, it's almost as strong as my 2011 F150 Ecoboost but more stable even though it has a shorter wheelbase.  I have been on a few short trips (400-600 round trip) and will be going on a longer trip in July.  I tow in "Tow Mode" and in 4th gear at 65MPH (trailer tire limited) and it sits at about 2250 rpm.  I get 8.5-9 mpgs towing, not bad as my F150 got 7.5-8.

3331349_l.jpg

Edited by Tatunka

^^^ Is that a 4 x 4 sticker on the van??? 

Yes it is!

its a quigley conversion....they convert fullsize  GM, ford, and now nissan vans into 4x4

I have a 3500 NVP V8 SL with tow/nav and I pull a 2012 Outback 301BQ that weighs 7130 dry and I figure it's about 8500 loaded.  I have an Equalizer hitch and use a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller that I installed in the cubby below the radio.  I really like how this thing pulls, it's almost as strong as my 2011 F150 Ecoboost but more stable even though it has a shorter wheelbase.  I have been on a few short trips (400-600 round trip) and will be going on a longer trip in July.  I tow in "Tow Mode" and in 4th gear at 65MPH (trailer tire limited) and it sits at about 2250 rpm.  I get 8.5-9 mpgs towing, not bad as my F150 got 7.5-8.

3331349_l.jpg

did you put any airbags in the rear or anything in it?

Edited by KMGLTZ

KMGLTZ, How badly has it impacted your MPG? Any other downside to doing this? Is it louder? Is the ride more rough?

Sorry for the late replys, I have been out of town.

did you put any airbags in the rear or anything in it?

No, I thought i was going to have to. But when I put the load (8500lbs) of the trailer on the van without the weight distribution hitch on it barely moved (that is compared to my F150 with an GAWR rear of 3800), so I tried without airbags and with the WD hitch for a couple trips and it has worked out great.  My F150 would squat a lot w/o the WD hitch and with the WD hitch the ride was very squishy and bouncy, so I installed airbags to stiffen up the rear suspension.  So far the NV has felt great towing and I don't feel the need to install airbags.

KMGLTZ, How badly has it impacted your MPG? Any other downside to doing this? Is it louder? Is the ride more rough?

Truthfully I don't know, I bought the van new with the conversion already done, so as far as comparing non 4x4 to 4x4 i don't have any idea.  I don't hear anything related to the conversion making noise so I am assuming that the noise in the cabin is the same.  Miliage I get about 14-16 going back and forth to work, mostly highway, if I get stuck dropping kids off and picking them up about 12, mostly city, and If I am towing my TT (8500lbs) I get about 8-9.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/

its  around 10k

It sounds steep but to get a 3/4 Suburban with the same options (nav, tow, heated leather seats) it comes out to about 57,500 vs 50,500 for the NV.  Not a bad deal if you need the cargo room, seating, and the towing capabilities all at the same time.  It seemed to me that you were always choosing what not to bring (people, pets, cargo, weight of the trailer) with the Suburban.

What did they charge to convert the NV into 4wd??? 

I believe they added 4x4 front spindles, front IFS axle, transfer case, new driveshafts front and rear, 4x4 control lever and light, and I ordered a 2 inch lift with mine.

Sorry for the late replys, I have been out of town.

No, I thought i was going to have to. But when I put the load (8500lbs) of the trailer on the van without the weight distribution hitch on it barely moved (that is compared to my F150 with an GAWR rear of 3800), so I tried without airbags and with the WD hitch for a couple trips and it has worked out great.  My F150 would squat a lot w/o the WD hitch and with the WD hitch the ride was very squishy and bouncy, so I installed airbags to stiffen up the rear suspension.  So far the NV has felt great towing and I don't feel the need to install airbags.

that is very suprising you wouldnt need to add anything for that weight. i havent had to tow that much weight, but ive towed about 2500-3000lbs plus mine is constantly loaded with about 1200lbs and it rides great.. pretty impressed. the lowtop NV is a very stable vehicle..stays planted on the road well

I believe they added 4x4 front spindles, front IFS axle, transfer case, new driveshafts front and rear, 4x4 control lever and light, and I ordered a 2 inch lift with mine.

Wow...Awesome!!!

It would be even more awesome if Nissan made a passenger hightop with factory 4wd.

I'd imagine the sticker price would be 55 grand. Too steep for me.

Edited by NY-Vmax-Joe

Let me just add this to trailering with an NV:

(pic is a little outta whack since it was camera phone panorama shot)

ttnvan_zps1f0fed8a.jpg

I had registered here to search some info before we bought our van a couple of months ago, but when the travel trailer came along I remembered this thread :)

Took this out last weekend for the first short trip and let me just say I could not be happier with my choice of an NV. 

No additions to the suspsension, just a decent weight distribution hitch. Rides smooth and steady and plenty of power.

Edited by Heavy Metal Doctor

Nice setup!  I always think its funny to be parked at the campground and watch the people stare at the NV when they pass.  Have fun with your expensive tent!

Nice setup!  I always think its funny to be parked at the campground and watch the people stare at the NV when they pass.  Have fun with your expensive tent!

Thanks! After 20 some years in tents and tiny pop-up's this is a huge improvement!

I drove the van to one event at a fairgrounds  - every time I looked toward the van, there where people standing around looking at it.....I think it drew almost as much attention as the exhibits at the event!

BTW, I wish had and excuse to do the 4x4 conversion - very nice! :)

Plan on using mine to pull a small 16' Fiberglass ski boat and once in a while the 30' trailer. The CHevy Silverado with the 5.3 handled it with no issue and the thing ways almost 10,000pounds. 

I was hoping that one of you that already own the NV 3500 passenger could provide an update with regards to towing. I am in the market for a new TV for my TT.

Thanks

I was hoping that one of you that already own the NV 3500 passenger could provide an update with regards to towing. I am in the market for a new TV for my TT.

Thanks

Well.... We did one long TT trip about 300 miles out in the fall before it got too cold to camp..... Actually that trip was too cold since it snowed  one the way there and then it dropped to 7* F the second night...but that's a story for another thread.....

Towing that first long trip was great. Plenty comfortable and steady going down the road, but we do use a weight distribution hitch - Reese Strait Line dual cam setup.  I had also ordered in some add-on mirrors that where highly recommend by a lot of TT users, but found they don't add enough extra view over stock mirrors to worth bothering with them. Just sliding the mirror arms out to the wide setting was enough to comfortably see around the TT behind me.    

Will be ditching my 2011 Suburban LTZ 1500 for an NV 3500 SL coming up in June. Just had a great week long trip with our new Bullet Premier 31BHPR. The Burb actually did quite well with it, so I expect the NV to do even better (better rear end ratio, stronger motor, better towing wheels vs. 20" chrome wheels on the Burb, etc etc).

My question though - I really like the ability to press a button on the Burb and see what my tranny temp is. Does the NV have this option? Is there a tranny temp gauge anywhere in the instrument cluster?

Also - Do the SL's with the tow/nav package have independent (aux) tranny coolers? Transmission fluid temp is priority #1 when towing if all else is comfortably within manufacturers limitations.

Anyone know the answer to these two questions?

Thank you!

Josh