tibby

Towing travel trailer NV 3500HD SL

Nice looking camper!  I assume that is an outside kitchen behind that big rear door.  We miss that feature a lot in our new toy hauler but we wanted the garage more than the kitchen.  We had the kitchen in our last bunkhouse camper (Surveyor Sport SP295) and it was used way more often than the inside kitchen.  We didnt see them that often when we bought ours a few years back so people would stop by when camping to ask about it.  We have little kids so it was nice in the evening when they were inside sleeping we could use the outside fridge, sink, etc and not bother them.  

Looks like the dealer setup your hitch nicely unless you did it.  Looks very level for both your van and camper.  That setup getting correct is rarer than you think!  What hitch did you go with?  If it was one of the freebie hitches with the clamp on friction sway control you may want to add a second sway control bar.  Reese, Curt, EZ, etc. all recommend two bars for longer campers.  No harm in trying just one bar for now.

Enjoy the camper!

Nice camper!  We are considering a travel trailer or toy hauler in the near future. A few models from Coachmen are high on our to look at list.

Nice looking camper!  I assume that is an outside kitchen behind that big rear door.  We miss that feature a lot in our new toy hauler but we wanted the garage more than the kitchen.  We had the kitchen in our last bunkhouse camper (Surveyor Sport SP295) and it was used way more often than the inside kitchen.  We didnt see them that often when we bought ours a few years back so people would stop by when camping to ask about it.  We have little kids so it was nice in the evening when they were inside sleeping we could use the outside fridge, sink, etc and not bother them.  

Looks like the dealer setup your hitch nicely unless you did it.  Looks very level for both your van and camper.  That setup getting correct is rarer than you think!  What hitch did you go with?  If it was one of the freebie hitches with the clamp on friction sway control you may want to add a second sway control bar.  Reese, Curt, EZ, etc. all recommend two bars for longer campers.  No harm in trying just one bar for now.

Enjoy the camper!

Thank you, yes the outside kitchen is what sold us on this model.

The dealer installed the hitch, it is an equalizer...

Wanting to know what weight trailer I can use for a lot of mountain traveling. Plan on buying a 2017 model. Hoping the new engine and 7 speed transmission will help. Also concerned about braking and using the engine to control downhill travel. Would appreciate any advice.

Wanting to know what weight trailer I can use for a lot of mountain traveling. Plan on buying a 2017 model. Hoping the new engine and 7 speed transmission will help. Also concerned about braking and using the engine to control downhill travel. Would appreciate any advice.

My tt is 7400 dry, on the max side of towing capacity...

I pulled through some Pennsylvania grades on a recent trip. The down grade with the Tow Mode was not a problem at all. I did not use the brakes all that much, at all.. My van is a 2016, 5 speed, so I am not sure about the 7 speed...

I'm glad to hear there are a number towing with the NV. I've been trying to find comments on some of the more popular RV forums, but it looks like most RVr's aren't exactly van people. But it's good to know from them that if I dare to put an 8,000 pound trailer on the back of my van I'm trying to kill my family and everyone around me. Looks like I need a Peterbilt to tow anything over 4,500 pounds . . .  ;)

I've got a 2014 Passenger SL that I bought new. It's been a fantastic vehicle in the few years I've had it - it was fun hauling myself and 11 Boy Scouts and their gear 500 miles to summer camp a couple months ago. Now my family of six is looking to get a quad bunkhouse model TT, and all of the quad bunks are of the larger variety. We're looking at a trailer with a dry weight of 7,200 (the actual trailer with options, not generic dealer stats), so when it's loaded it is likely to be close, but not over the rated 8,700 tow rating. We travel light (as much as a family of six can), and I plan on taking out the last row of seats in the van and keeping things pretty light in there as well. 

For those that are towing trailers over 30', how is the experience? Better or worse than a one ton pickup? 

Any issues with tranny temps? Using the gears to help slow down on hills cause any trouble?

Where did you put your brake controller? I'm planning on a Prodigy P2, and it looks like the slot under the radio makes the most sense but will it need to be too far out and block the AC controls?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site OldBird.  Sounds like you have been visiting the RV.net or Good Sam forums, most of the old timers there are the ones that say if you go over "x" lbs then your vehicle will blow up and you'll kill everyone on the highway...  

Biggest thing you need to worry about is staying within overall weight.  You do that and you are fine to tow anywhere you want within reason.  The last I looked (Nissan doesnt really publish it anymore) the combined weight was 16,000 lbs loaded.  You also need to check your rear axle weight on the van and dont go over the receiver ratings.

If you are getting that big a TT then a good WD hitch is absolutely required.  Make sure you know how to set it up, dealers do a bad job most times.  After that load it up, load up your van and go weigh it.  There are lots of tutorials online on how to weigh it and where (CAT scales are the most popular and cheap).  Then you will know 100% if you are in your limits and you will know 100% if your WD hitch is properly setup.

If you have never towed before I highly suggest practicing pulling that long a trailer around including tight areas and backing it up.  The rear end will swing a lot wider than you think with the axles located near the middle.  It tows big trailers just fine.  Make sure all tires are aired up properly for the load (van and TT), the WD is setup right with antisway also setup right and you are good.

Zero issues with temps - engine, oil or tranny.  We have giant coolers mounted right in front of our radiators and in the grill opening.  This is towing through mountains in 100* heat and zero issues.  Yes, you can use tow mode and lower gears to go down hills.  It wont brake as well as a diesel with an exhaust brake but it does really well.  Going up expect to be in 3rd gear at high rpm on the highway.  No issues.  

I have my Tekonsha mounted in that radio slot.  I think I still have photos on here somewhere.  Most put it by their right shin/knee to make it easier.  Just get the right harness and it plugs right into the factory pigtail that should be wrapped up down by your parking brake pedal.  

Thanks ASD Dad, and yes it was the rv.net forum - I'm not sure that any discussion, from actual weight questions to what you bring along for dinner, can end without several people screaming that you'll be overweight and will kill everyone.

Sounds like I'll be good if I'm careful. I'm planning on getting a good Equalizer weight distributing hitch with sway "control." to help. 

IIRC, doesn't the brake controller need to be at least reasonably level? do those that install above the right knee cut into the dash to keep it close to level? It seems like the angle wouldn't be good just installing it as the dash panel sits.

Depends on the controller.  Most these days do not need to be totally level, they work off accelerometers that can detect how they are setup when static.  They do need to be pointed front to back more than being level so they can detect the force of slowing down better.

The Equalizer is a great hitch.  Been around a very long time and it works well.  They are Very NOISY though!  Just how they work, it is steel on steel friction for sway control.  When moving slow and turning a lot they love to make lots of groans, creaks and pops.  All normal.  There are a few out now that are similar that claim to be quieter (some use brake pad material for the friction agent).  Just read up on the instructions and setup so you know if the dealer did it correctly.  Read up on hooking it up as well, you have to get the tongue up pretty high to get the bars on once you have the coupler locked down but again, that is normal for most hitches.

RV.net can be good and bad.  You have to weed through all the nonsense to find the tidbits of information you need.  You're right though, if you tow more than a pop-up they want you in a 1 Ton dually a lot of times!!  How about the old days of people towing with their station wagons or cars??  If you find a brand you like a lot of them have good forums.  Forest River forum is huge and very helpful.  

Awesome info and advice, guys. Another reason that this forum is the only one I check regularly....

But part of me now wants to join rv.net and kick off my intro with a thread titled "Does our 2001 Honda CRV have the correct air freshener to safely tow our new triple-axle destination trailer?" :)

I'm glad to hear there are a number towing with the NV. I've been trying to find comments on some of the more popular RV forums, but it looks like most RVr's aren't exactly van people. But it's good to know from them that if I dare to put an 8,000 pound trailer on the back of my van I'm trying to kill my family and everyone around me. Looks like I need a Peterbilt to tow anything over 4,500 pounds . . .  ;)

lol... Yes, if you don't have a pick-up then your a jerk, trying to kill your family and everybody else in your path...

I've got a 2014 Passenger SL that I bought new. It's been a fantastic vehicle in the few years I've had it - it was fun hauling myself and 11 Boy Scouts and their gear 500 miles to summer camp a couple months ago. Now my family of six is looking to get a quad bunkhouse model TT, and all of the quad bunks are of the larger variety. We're looking at a trailer with a dry weight of 7,200 (the actual trailer with options, not generic dealer stats), so when it's loaded it is likely to be close, but not over the rated 8,700 tow rating. We travel light (as much as a family of six can), and I plan on taking out the last row of seats in the van and keeping things pretty light in there as well. 

For those that are towing trailers over 30', how is the experience? Better or worse than a one ton pickup? 

My TT is 35' +, honestly I have never towed with a pickup, but I did a round trip from NY to Fl last month, over 2000 miles, doing generally 65, with no issues... A little bogged down on high steep grades, but assume not much different than a gas pickup...

​Gas mileage his nightmare, but that comes with the territory... 

Any issues with tranny temps? Using the gears to help slow down on hills cause any trouble?

ASD Dad is exactly right, "Zero issues with temps - engine, oil or tranny.  We have giant coolers mounted right in front of our radiators and in the grill opening.  This is towing through mountains in 100* heat and zero issues.  Yes, you can use tow mode and lower gears to go down hills.  It wont brake as well as a diesel with an exhaust brake but it does really well.  Going up expect to be in 3rd gear at high rpm on the highway.  No issues."  

Even on those steep grades my tranny temp and engine temp were in the low category... honestly towing on level roads I didn't see a noticeable difference between the temps while not towing and towing... and I was looking at both...

Where did you put your brake controller? I'm planning on a Prodigy P2, and it looks like the slot under the radio makes the most sense but will it need to be too far out and block the AC controls?

Thanks!

...Using the gears to help slow down on hills cause any trouble?

And also, the tow mode did a great job on the downhill travel... I let the van do the work and hardly used the brakes,   

what is the maximus size of trailer I should be getting for my nv3500 in your opinion?

I’d personally try to stay at or under 32’ and around 8,000 pounds. 

Just wanted to report in.  We bought a 6,400lb dry toy hauler, right at 32'.  Loaded it's gotta be at 8k or more.  Pulls like an absolute dream, very solid and safe feeling.  I use a Blue Ox W/D hitch.

I definitely would keep it at or under 32 stem to stern.  The wheelbase of the van is good but anything longer would introduce more chance for sway.  

Coming from a 6-cylinder Cummins Diesel the REV on the engine bothered me a bit at first but I'm used to it now.  We can pull most Western hills with no slowdown or rev it down and slow down and grunt through it.

Anyone using the NV3500 to tow TT in the Denver area -- especially up the Golden hill on I-75 toward Evergreen or further to Eisenhower Pass.  If so, what sort of speed uphill with TT in tow?

I have a 2016 NV 3500 HD SL and I am looking to upgrade my camper but the new camper I am looking for is 8700lbs dry and I was wondering if you guys think the NV would still be able to pull it with the rating of 8700lbs max towing?