Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Nissan NV Forum. You must register to create topics and post replies, however, registration is a free and simple process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members. . .and more.
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing travel trailer NV 3500HD SL

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 andy_george

andy_george

• Nissan NV Member
  • Pip
  • 373 posts
  • Region:U.S., Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Model Year:2014
  • My NV:NV Passenger
  • Current Vehicle:2014 NVP SL, 2001 Honda CRV, 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

Awesome info and advice, guys. Another reason that this forum is the only one I check regularly....

But part of me now wants to join rv.net and kick off my intro with a thread titled "Does our 2001 Honda CRV have the correct air freshener to safely tow our new triple-axle destination trailer?" :)
  • radin2son, ASD Dad, Robert J Spanarelli and 1 other like this

#62 Robert J Spanarelli

Robert J Spanarelli

• NV Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • LocationCentereach, NY
  • Model Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan NV Passenger 3500 SL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

I'm glad to hear there are a number towing with the NV. I've been trying to find comments on some of the more popular RV forums, but it looks like most RVr's aren't exactly van people. But it's good to know from them that if I dare to put an 8,000 pound trailer on the back of my van I'm trying to kill my family and everyone around me. Looks like I need a Peterbilt to tow anything over 4,500 pounds . . .  ;)

lol... Yes, if you don't have a pick-up then your a jerk, trying to kill your family and everybody else in your path...

I've got a 2014 Passenger SL that I bought new. It's been a fantastic vehicle in the few years I've had it - it was fun hauling myself and 11 Boy Scouts and their gear 500 miles to summer camp a couple months ago. Now my family of six is looking to get a quad bunkhouse model TT, and all of the quad bunks are of the larger variety. We're looking at a trailer with a dry weight of 7,200 (the actual trailer with options, not generic dealer stats), so when it's loaded it is likely to be close, but not over the rated 8,700 tow rating. We travel light (as much as a family of six can), and I plan on taking out the last row of seats in the van and keeping things pretty light in there as well. 

For those that are towing trailers over 30', how is the experience? Better or worse than a one ton pickup? 

My TT is 35' +, honestly I have never towed with a pickup, but I did a round trip from NY to Fl last month, over 2000 miles, doing generally 65, with no issues... A little bogged down on high steep grades, but assume not much different than a gas pickup...

​Gas mileage his nightmare, but that comes with the territory... 

Any issues with tranny temps? Using the gears to help slow down on hills cause any trouble?

ASD Dad is exactly right, "Zero issues with temps - engine, oil or tranny.  We have giant coolers mounted right in front of our radiators and in the grill opening.  This is towing through mountains in 100* heat and zero issues.  Yes, you can use tow mode and lower gears to go down hills.  It wont brake as well as a diesel with an exhaust brake but it does really well.  Going up expect to be in 3rd gear at high rpm on the highway.  No issues."  

Even on those steep grades my tranny temp and engine temp were in the low category... honestly towing on level roads I didn't see a noticeable difference between the temps while not towing and towing... and I was looking at both...

Where did you put your brake controller? I'm planning on a Prodigy P2, and it looks like the slot under the radio makes the most sense but will it need to be too far out and block the AC controls?

Thanks!

• OldBird likes this

#63 Robert J Spanarelli

Robert J Spanarelli

• NV Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S., Northeast
  • LocationCentereach, NY
  • Model Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan NV Passenger 3500 SL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

...Using the gears to help slow down on hills cause any trouble?

And also, the tow mode did a great job on the downhill travel... I let the van do the work and hardly used the brakes,   

• ASD Dad and OldBird like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·