fast1gt

Gas Mileage

Trdriver,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your question. I'm kinda self centered, I guess, I stay mostly on the conversion thread.

But yes, the mileage seems to have improved. We have 12K now. I mentioned in my thread today that we drove almost 500km today 16.56 mpg. That's with the two panels on top with 1300 pounds added to vehicle weight (with two people included). The vehicle seems less buffeted by the wind now, with more weight on board.

I invite you to my thread, "new camper conversion in Tucson" to see our bumbling along amateur conversion project.

Ted

Just finished my first tank of gas. I calculated an average of 15 mpg. I was actually really impressed considering all the idling and around town I did. Here's hoping for a little better when the warmer weather gets here. I usually average around 18 mpg with my minivan. Considering this van is 2600 lbs heavier that's really decent

Edited by Nvdad81

Just finished my first tank of gas. I calculated an average of 15 mpg. I was actually really impressed considering all the idling and around town I did. Here's hoping for a little better when the warmer weather gets here. I usually average around 18 mpg with my minivan. Considering this van is 2600 lbs heavier that's really decent

Good to hear! I'm impressed as well :-)

It's time for a new 2017 V-8 thread section now!

So after a few tanks of mixed driving I have averaged 14-15 mpg. I did a straight highway drive just to check it out and I got about 17.5 mpg at around 60 mph. Not bad for 7000lb box on wheels. I love this van.

Nvdad81

Today was the first time in several months that I drove a longer distance of highway miles only (round trip Tucson to Phoenix). I also weighed the vehicle.

I drove 55-60mph. That'll be our speed most of the time while traveling. I had a pretty brisk tailwind for 100 miles with only a crosswind coming back down. 16.46mpg. We did not use the same gas station, so there may have been some inaccuracy there. But, frankly, I'm happily quite surprised. I kept the RPMs at 1800 in 5th gear. With our solar panel setup I would have been happy with 13-14. We've been getting only 10.5mpg in town recently. That's with catching almost every red light in this bloody town.

I weighed the vehicle at a truck stop on the way down. With a full tank of gas (175lbs)and me (150 lbs) we weighed in at 8220 lbs. That's with nothing but the modifications that we have added. front axle: 3460lbs, rear axle:4760lbs.

Ted

Edited by DesertTed

Just back from 2 weeks thru eastern Oregon, Nevada, South Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and return on back roads thru eastern Cali, mid Oregon, with a short hop on I-5.  All fill ups were just above 400 miles with 434 the best.  2015 2500HD SV high top with the V-8. Not much head wind.  Very pleased.

post-1155-0-09989700-1496796793_thumb.jpg

Edited by laharview

Great trip route. Have you had the low fuel warning come on?

Having been pleasantly surprised with the last mileage check, I was wondering if that was a fluke of winds, different gas pumps or whatever. We had to go up to Phoenix again today for an unexpected medical appointment, so we had another opportunity to check it. Both ways, North and south were with winds going around the compass. I kept it at 1800RPM at 57-58mph. I was able to not touch the brakes for 100+ miles, so that helped the mileage. 16.7mpg for 223 miles!

I don't think is posted a photo of the panels with the fold-down "solar wing". So that doesn't seem to have caused enough wind resistance to impact the mileage greatly.

Hopefully we'll not need to go back north for a good while.

Ted

post-1644-0-99906400-1496891938_thumb.jpeg

post-1644-0-10079400-1496892241_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DesertTed

Hi radin2son,

I do not let the tank get down below 1/4 or 100+ miles left so have not seen the low fuel light.  Try to start off easy and keep her around 2200 RPM.  Heading to Banks Lake next weekend.

post-1155-0-21287900-1497561680_thumb.jpg

Edited by laharview

Laharview, Great photo to help visualize cooler temps.

These V8s love 2200 rpm...

I agree, 22 turns is the sweet spot for the V-8.  Plenty left over if you have to lean on her a bit.

Stopped by a CAT scale and our V6 high roof with two humans a dog, 100 lb of water, propane, filled to the brim for a 3 months road trip, and the conversion itself, we are coming in at 8400lb. On the steeper grades gotta keep the foot down to stay at 65mph but can still easily pass the semis. Gas mileage at 60mph on the freeway is still at 18mpg, but down to 14-15mpg going up any kind of mountain.

NVP SL (V-8) low top. I am going through my break in period, so I hope it improves. Right now it is around 15mpg after my first 2 full tanks. I will measure it again after the break in period.

Question: why didn't they add a feature to keep track of that on the dash? When I bought it I was going through the settings and was a little upset their wasn't a feature to track the trip counter and mpg together.

Only the 2012 NVs display mpg. It always shows about 1 mpg better than paper and pencil. Maybe Nissan couldn't deal with the optimism...

Almost since day 1, trip A, B and mpg will auto-delete when our van sits unused or more annoyingly the next morning after a hard day of driving. When I go to put the key in the ignition, I can hear a clicking before I insert the key. Static electricity? Anyway, it resets to zero. We are into the habit of writing everything down when we fill up and when we stop for the day.

Never brought this up wit Nissan. Can of worms most likely even if it could be replicated at the dealership.

3 possibilities:

Best way to get maximum mpg at high speed, 80+ mph.

Test mule for driverless NV.

Using the tow coverage to get to the nearest commercial dealership.

I-40 west of Gallup, NM

post-376-0-78956800-1502847541_thumb.jpg

Just broke into 17 MPG, 2015 2500 HD high top conversion. Mostly flat land running 65 to 70 using cruise.

post-1155-0-34443100-1503454983_thumb.jpg

That is amazing!  Since my roof rack and AT tires I am happy to break 14 on the highway.  I normally have the cruise set a little over 70.  I still average around 12-13 in mixed so there isnt that much difference for me.

A new high! I have checked the math and is right.

post-1155-0-36352400-1503713745_thumb.jpg

Nice!! That's for the old V8 right? With the V6 our high was 468 before the conversion. Now weighing 8400lbs we are usually around 420-430.

Last photo I'll add!  This was the run over Snoqualime Pass and Tiger Summit.  70 MPH on cruise.  Very happy.

post-1155-0-97917700-1504142934_thumb.jpeg

Got you beat!:-) very careful driving at 65mph.

post-1085-0-66232300-1504490650_thumb.jpg

Edited by mahu

11.7 mpg avg for the first 3k miles in my 3500sl high top.  Mixed driving.  Probably 60% or more freeway.  75 to 80 mph on a clear road.  I have ladders on the roof and about 1,500 -1,750 lbs of cargo.  Regular gas.  Other data: The range meter starts flashing 2 dashes after it gets below about 45 miles.  Within the next 20 miles the needle is buried on empty,  as in you can see a gap between the last line on the gauge and the needle.  I've never been able to put more than 24.5 gallons in it.  Comforting in it's own way.  In my Transit Ecoboost of similar dimension, I was lucky to see 14, though that engine, if babied, could do a lot better.  The NV doesn't seem to care what I do with my foot.  Tried being very gentle for a tank, no change.  Never seen 300 miles on a tank.

I agree that mpg + NV = same result no matter... 

Would be be nice if these “well used” posts could be filtered to show most recent. Although it was interesting seeing names of the “where are they now.”

I was bemused to say the least.  I thought gentle acceleration and slower freeway speeds would have an effect.  No so much.  On the plus side, tearing up going over mt. passes at 80 doesn't seem to bother it either. 

On 2/16/2020 at 1:21 PM, radin2son said:

I agree that mpg + NV = same result no matter... 

Would be be nice if these “well used” posts could be filtered to show most recent. Although it was interesting seeing names of the “where are they now.”

Rad - if you look in the "New" content tab, all the posts with the black dot/circle before the post is a post you have read and there are new topics you have not seen yet.  If you click on that black dot it should take you to the first unread post.  

If the subject has no black dot it means you either read the whole post already or you have not started reading it, either way the whole thing would be new to you.

This is on a computer, not sure on mobile site...