fast1gt

Gas Mileage

Posted this on another mpg thread here, thought I'd weigh in: 

First semi-long trip in our 3500NV Sl v8 from Decatur Alabama to Birmingham Childrens Hospital,, thingy on the dash says average mpg 24-25,, actual calculated after fill up 15mpg.. all passenger seats removed except one bench where she is seated,this is so her  wheelchair and accesories will fit and loaded with groceries coming back,, 65mph average speed on interstate, very little driving down town.. 194 miles on the odometer thus far... We love our NV.. :shift:

Good luck with your daughter, Bama. Sending healing thoughts your way...

Good luck with your daughter, Bama. Sending healing thoughts your way...

Thanks,,

First full to empty tank fill-up.  Drove 287.6 miles (100 of which were freeway miles), put in 23 gallons = 12.5 MPG.  I always fill 'til the nozzle "clicks" itself stopped and I don't force/squeeze anymore into tank, so feel this is pretty accurate.  Plus, on freeway I was going 65 to 90.  Feel if it was serious road trip, all freeway, maxing at 65-70, I would get better and be happy with it. 

2014 NV Passanger SL - combined driving average of approximately 12MPG over approximately 10 fill ups. As high as 15MPG and as low as 11MPG

Just returned from an 800 mile trip with our NV3500 V8. Averaged 14.7mpg with little loading, but with headwinds and several elevation changes from 0 to 5000ft. Still have less than 4000 miles on the rig.

Don

2015 3500 SL - just did my second fill up and both times I am right around 14.0 - 14.5mpg.  Ouch.  I was sort of expecting that but still hurts!  My 2010 Tundra 5.7 avg was around 17-18mpg as I drive 70% "highway".  Where I live is mainly two lane 55mph roads so even if I never actually get on the highway I am still mostly driving along at 60 with my cruise on.  

Just returned from the Smoky Mountain area to Michigan yesterday. I got 15.5 to 16.5 MPG's on the way back. Weather was beautiful, no wind, going 75+ mph. Usually I see about 14 MPG's, so I was very happy to see this!

RICK,

Since you received your 2015 NAV card, you have kept us in suspense regarding low mpg.

How did you make out with Nissan's customer service referral to the new service manager and/or dealer?

The nav card is a waste of money if you have to pay for it. Even though its a 2015 card, it's actually written in early 2014. Doesn't upgrade any of the poor features in the cargo version. Supposedly in the passenger version it does.

As far as visiting a new dealer, haven't had a chance to waste a day of work so they swap out the seatbelt that they still need to order. The radio navigation is something they will have to test and see if its my issue or the entire line of radios issues. All I know is this is the worst technology package ive ever had in a new vehicle.

Mileage is a joke. Still waiting to break 200 miles on a fillup.

Just last week I had an emergency call that I didn't get home fro till 1 am. Freeways were empty and honestly it was all downhill. Dam thing only showed me 12.5 mpg rolling downhill at 1am on the open freeway.

Either everyone is stretching the truth about their good mileage, or mine is ready for the junkyard at 3700 miles.

I will get some time to go to the dealer, but unless they can fix all the issues, I'll lose more money in the day off of work than ill save in better mileage. Gas is still $4.15 a gallon out here, and I average about 7mpg. Thats roughly .60 a mile just in fuel. You do the math.

Rick.

Rick,

What can be said? It is a business decision on your part.

2013 2500 hi-top v8 with 40,000 on the rig. My best on the highway at 65 mph with no ac,  carrying my dirt bike is 14 mpg and I really babied the throttle.

The nav card is a waste of money if you have to pay for it. Even though its a 2015 card, it's actually written in early 2014. Doesn't upgrade any of the poor features in the cargo version. Supposedly in the passenger version it does.

As far as visiting a new dealer, haven't had a chance to waste a day of work so they swap out the seatbelt that they still need to order. The radio navigation is something they will have to test and see if its my issue or the entire line of radios issues. All I know is this is the worst technology package ive ever had in a new vehicle.

Mileage is a joke. Still waiting to break 200 miles on a fillup.

Just last week I had an emergency call that I didn't get home fro till 1 am. Freeways were empty and honestly it was all downhill. Dam thing only showed me 12.5 mpg rolling downhill at 1am on the open freeway.

Either everyone is stretching the truth about their good mileage, or mine is ready for the junkyard at 3700 miles.

I will get some time to go to the dealer, but unless they can fix all the issues, I'll lose more money in the day off of work than ill save in better mileage. Gas is still $4.15 a gallon out here, and I average about 7mpg. Thats roughly .60 a mile just in fuel. You do the math.

Rick.

200 miles on a fill up? how are you driving that thing? Our V6 High Roof easily gets 360 miles out of a tank.

Not even 200 miles. Have never hit 200 miles on a 25 gallon plus fillup. The majority of my driving is city. With minimal highway.

After rereading thIs 60 post thread over this last year, I'm unofficially the biggest looser. Others are happy while others are are not so happy getting 11 mpg. I'm in the 6-7 mpg range and the best the dealer has done was change the oil, wash the van and lower the air pressure in the front tires. A total waste of my time. They claim nothing is wrong when they hook it up to the computer. They drove it a couple hundred feet around the lot to the wash bay making them the experts.

We pay the highest in the nation for fuel and I get the lowest on the forum for mpg. So I am the biggest looser.

My 7 year old sprinter gets 2 to 3 times better mileage, carries more cargo and has a heavier payload.

Other than being a big tax write off, this van has been a big dissapointment between the mileage, technology and cargo volume. Still under 1 year old and 5000 miles and its ready to be mothballed. Dealer and Nissan are both a waste of time.

Rick.

Edited by RICK

Sorry for your pain Rick ;

I got home From a trip to TN. last weekend with my bikes and trailer w/gear. Back and forth @ 65 -70 mph , with the return trip in the pouring rain (aka 45 -50 mph)  ..And I hate to tell you but thanks to ASD Dad's Airbox mod my average for  the1900 mile trip was 23.2 mpg.w/ my v6.

Gotta go to grannys  !

Glenn :)

Sorry for your pain Rick ;

I got home From a trip to TN. last weekend with my bikes and trailer w/gear. Back and forth @ 65 -70 mph , with the return trip in the pouring rain (aka 45 -50 mph)  ..And I hate to tell you but thanks to ASD Dad's Airbox mod my average for  the1900 mile trip was 23.2 mpg.w/ my v6.

Gotta go to grannys  !

Glenn :)

Happy to hear that mod is working!  I am still using it after deciding the Airaid wasnt worth the noise.  I also swapped out the stock filter for a washable one but that is mainly for convenience. 

With the box mod and the Bully Dog still setup in Performance mode I am still getting 14-16 MPG in mixed driving.  If I really baby it I can squeak out a a bit more but it's not worth it.  Gas is at $1.70/gal right now so I cant complain.  

When towing the camper in my signature line I get about 9 MPG.  I cant complain there either other than the gas tank is too small!  180 miles per tank gets old and can be scary if out somewhere that doesnt have many stations.  

Rick, if this was the last race in the NASCAR NV Truck Series, you would once again run out of fuel well before the pit lane. You would refuse a ride in the Titan safety truck, driven by Vic, Commercial Customer services, and on your walk to the pit area, you would be shaking your fist at the Nissan techs, service managers and engineers in the grandstands. So what is next, the Fuso truck series?

At least you will get a good trade in, unless your posts have been read.

Meanwhile, Team AXULSUV has his V6 low top dialed in and Team MAHU is hanging in there.

Edited by radin2son

I was at a customers house the other day and the dog groomer had a 2500 high top with v8. she only works for the company, but she told me that she is always filling up and gets about 7-8 mpg. not sure how much water she carries, but we both work in the same part of town and drive in the same manner. 

How is it that some people get 3 to 4 times better mileage and others are in the 11 to 12 range while towing a 7-8000# trailer whiles some of us are getting creamed with the highest prices for fuel and the worst mileage in the nation. Believe me, i don't race around town. 

Rick.

I hear you Rick. I have the 3500 HD and the V8 LOVES gas! I get 8-9 MPG, and that's with me babying the throttle. On the road I can get it to 13. I live in the western part of Oregon and it is very hilly. We have the E10 gas here. The higher the alcohol content the more power but worse gas milage. I don't know if you have E15 but i have had as much as 3mpg difference from state to state depending on fuel and terrain of cuorse. I am lucky and only drive 5K a year so mileage is not a huge issue and since I'm converting mine to an RV for Photo shoots I can live with that. A class B would be about the same MPG. I have gone to a K&N filter and may work on the exhaust. The filter has bumped the mileage up about 1 mile and I change my tires to all terrain which helped a little. I hope dual exhaust will bring it up a mile or two more. My buddy has a Sprinter and it does blow away mine in mileage but, many break downs and very expensive and hard to find parts and has an issue with mountains so I went with the NV with the V8. Besides air, exhaust , and a chip, I don't see us getting more than 10-11 in town and MAYBE 15-16 on the road. I have to agree with possible inflated numbers on mileage reports or strong tail winds or down hill in all directions! Good luck with yours and sorry to hear about the aggravation.

ASD Dad,What did you do with your Airraid kit?

ASD Dad,What did you do with your Airraid kit?

Sent it back to Amazon.  Worked well for power but was too loud and droned during towing which is when I really wanted the extra power.

The BDGT, modded stock box and AEM filter are doing well for me.

Edited by ASD Dad

ASD Dad,, what was the modification you did to the airbox? I couldn't find the thread. I have gone with the factory fit K&N filter but I was thinking about modifying the housing. I agree about the CAI's . They are loud and help bottom end but mileage is not increased. On previous vehicles I have installed CAI's and exhaust, reprogramming is a must to get anything out of it but then you have to use upgraded fuel and that takes away any MPG advantage in the cost trade off. Since I want this to go on long trips and not high performance I am always looking for ways to help it out. Any info on the modification you did would be appreciated. Thanks

ASD Dad,, what was the modification you did to the airbox? I couldn't find the thread. I have gone with the factory fit K&N filter but I was thinking about modifying the housing. I agree about the CAI's . They are loud and help bottom end but mileage is not increased. On previous vehicles I have installed CAI's and exhaust, reprogramming is a must to get anything out of it but then you have to use upgraded fuel and that takes away any MPG advantage in the cost trade off. Since I want this to go on long trips and not high performance I am always looking for ways to help it out. Any info on the modification you did would be appreciated. Thanks

http://nissannvforum.com/topic/702-air-box-mod-diy/

Its under the 5.6 motor forum.  Very simple, takes little time and actually works based off myself, a few here and a whole lot of Nissan 5.6 owners.  I had to scrounge around Titan and Armada forums to find mods that work.  Some fit, some need minor tweaks (like the Airaid).

I went with the AEM dry flow filter.  No oil to mess with, just wash and dry.  I was shocked how quick my stock filter got dirty and I dont drive on dirt roads!  

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I am new to Nissan platform, but so far I really like it. Well built and plenty of power. I have always modified my trucks and will put this one through it's paces. The mod looks simple and was kinda what I was thinking about. I will do that mod and check on a way to get more cool clean air in. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I am new to Nissan platform, but so far I really like it. Well built and plenty of power. I have always modified my trucks and will put this one through it's paces. The mod looks simple and was kinda what I was thinking about. I will do that mod and check on a way to get more cool clean air in. Thanks again.

Check the Titan forums.  There are several that have made true cold air intakes that funnel in air from the grill.  Only problem is you need to lose the windshield washer reservoir as it is in the way.  JC Whitney used to make a universal mount that fit right in for a Titan so you still had some cleaner to use if needed but they stopped making it from what I know.  I use the washer quite a bit so I havent tried to look for a replacement.