Sign in to follow this  
Hoss

4x4 and Camper conversion concerns

Long story short...Im considering getting an NV 3500 HD and going with the Quigley 4x4 Conversion, and then doing a bit of custom work to do a sleeper/camper conversion to it.  For now it will mainly just be used to drive out the desert and then Ill use it as a sleeper at night.  In the future it will probably be used for towing every now and then, but nothing too heavy (probably something like a Baja Bug or a small powerboat or something).

Concerns...The Quigley 4WD conversion leaves the NV at the stock height...And from what I can tell in pictures and vids of the NV 3500, it seems that there isn't much ground clearance on these vans (as far as off-road applications).  Granted, I won't really be off-roading the van, but I do plan on driving it out on off-road trails meant for the likes of 4WD toy haulers and such.  So while not severe as far as off-road standards go, I will have to pass over some dips, bumps, and berms that are quite a bit more than what the van would encounter on normal roads.

So does anyone have any feedback on how an NV (with stock height) does on light off-road applications...maybe someone who uses one as their toy-hauler?  I would assume that if I were to drive slow and careful enough then it would be fine, but I want to be sure, since this would be a big investment for me.

Also I plan on fabricating up a custom bed frame for the back end of the van...I plan on either just bolting in a permanent fixture to the floor of a Cargo model, or getting a machine shop to build me a removable frame that uses the seat anchors to latch into place to a Passenger model.  I'll probably go with the passenger model, so I can use the van to haul ppl from time to time, getting more use out of my investment...However If I am able to easily bolt in a rear bench behind the driver, and still have room for a full length bed behind that, then I might go with that since it would end up being cheaper.

So if anyone knows the following dimensions to the van, then I would be happy to get that info from you:
1)  Length from the back of the front seats to the rear doors...for both Cargo and Passenger if different
2)  Interior width (ignoring the wheel wells since the bed frame would raise the mattress above them anyways)...for both cargo and passenger

Edited by Hoss

I have a 2500 camper van converted by Sportsmobile in Fresno. They have limited info related to the Nissan conversion on their web site, but they do list several Nissan dealers who sell the Nissan SMBs in your area. You may be able to get some of the dimensions you need from the SMB web site and some ideas about floor plans (use Ford) as well as more info regarding 4x4 conversion, not just Quigley from the forum for owners and/or those interested in all things Ford E series and 4x4.

There is a Quigley 4x4 passenger conversion in this forum, and I believe he mentioned a 2" lift...  

We just purchased in southern california last month and i know that the dealership in Costa Mesa where we went had two of the conversion by SMB on the lot and i believe one had the Quigley conversion.  They were great to deal with.

I have a Quigley NV with the optional 2 inch lift.  I was told by Quigley that the lift brings the van to the same height as the Chevy Vans w/o a lift.  Of course you can get a lift for the Chevy also, and if you are going to really do some wheeling the Ford will get you a Solid Front Axle. 

As far as the clearance the Quigley with the lift is the same or greater than my F150.  That being said you can always increase the clearance with tire size.  The Quigley with the lift is of course going to fit a taller tire than w/o a lift, but as far as width the NV itself is limited because of the sliding door.  I believe Quigley told me 285 (11.2 inches) is the width limit with the sliding door working correctly.

I have driven on two tracks and a limited amount of purly off road situations with no problems.  I have been very happy with this van so far.

We have lifted our 2500 a few inches using the parts intended for the Titan. The only difference is the Ubolts in the back, you will require a different size. I think we got about three inches out of it, and it's made a lot of difference. Still only one wheel drive, but I keep holding out hope for a locking differential someday. 

Having 4x4 would be really nice, especially in sand and snow, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. 

We used larger tires as well, the largest that would fit without rubbing in turns. I chose all terrains, and I think they are 285/75/16. I don't have trouble with the panel on the sliding door because I used the pressed board panel and put grey carpet on it. It clears by about two sheets of paper. 

We use ours just as you intend to use yours. Desert trips, and ski trips, and climbing trips. I have purchased some traction aids/ladders to use if we get into sand again. It's not four wheel drive, but might get us through. Most everyone who asks about it seems to think it is the 4x4, because of the lift and tires. 

Hopefully know that the Titan XD is out we will be able to find a locker for this thing. It looks like the Titan XD uses that same axle as the NV, but with different shafts. And it will have an available e-locker for the rear.

One thing that I think Nissan/Quigley could work on is getting the 4wd programing for us guys that have 4wd NV's. Having front and rear electronic limited slips would rock, oh and also a 4lo program.

I forgot to mention, even though you have probly already bought something, is that Advanced 4wd in Utah does a 4 inch lift and a 4lo transfer case, no factory warrenty though. So that might be an option for you also.