Elfmaze

Van has locked me out twice now...

yesterday morning I went out to warm up the van the doors were unlocked all night,   I open the door,  start the van,  close the door and start working on the frost on the windshield.  The door is locked when I come back to the drivers seat...   It did this to us at a tail-gait party as well.  Luckly both times we had a second set of keys on us.  

How do I stop it from auto locking the doors?  

Second question,  Do the doors unlock if the battery is dead?   the key does not seem to turn much in the lock.  Is it a physical lock, or is it just an unlock switch? 

I've had this happen too. Warmed the van up in the morning, went back out to leave for work & the van was locked. Fortunately I was home & got the other set of keys.

The other night I forgot to lock it & when I came out the next morning it was still unlocked. There does not seem to be  any rhyme or reason as to how this works. If there is, I sure haven't figured it out.

Mine did this while getting gas the other day and on a few occasions , lucky thing my side door doesn't lock. 

Mine has done this as well. My wife normally leaves it unlocked at home, but I've noticed that if I unlock it in about 10-15 minutes it will lock itself back. Mine even locked with the doors open while we were packing for a trip. Would be nice to know why it does this.

You can shut this auto lock feature off.

Open the driver door and leave it open, stick the key in the ignition, push the auto lock button on the armrest to the lock position.

The door locks will lock and then immediately unlock them selves. Bingo ! fixed.

It's described in the manual.

Of course, you should keep your keys in your pocket for a while until you are sure that it worked correctly.

Now the TPMS reset procedure . . . that's bloody annoying.

By the way, I'm a noob here.

Just bought a 2500 S V6 High Roof a week ago. Will be doing a minimalist camper conversion in the next few months.

DennisV

It's described in the manual.

All well and good....  but whats a manual?

He's my Mexican buddy.

He's never locked himself out of his own truck.

Wise he is, hmmm? :happy feet:

YUP!!! 

Maybe 1 in 100 even know where the book is , let alone ever break the seal on the cover ....

( just 40 years of dealer work experience )

Glenn

All well and good....  but whats a manual?

That's one of those things you read when all else fails.

Unless of course,  it's locked in the van . . .

Hey look !  There's free towing in there too.

I have had this problem (van locking me out 3 times, once recently.) A serious problem. I think twice it was after backing out of the garage and shutting off the engine and getting out for a short while.

I don't think DennisV's answer is correct. I don't find what he described in the manual. My (2015 NVP) manual describes auto-lock as occurring when the vehicle reaches 15 MPH. It also describes a feature that will protect you in case you leave your key in the ignition. It also describes a feature called Auto relock, where the doors will lock themselves after 1 minute if the key fob UNLOCK button is pressed and certain other things are not done. But I never use the key fob or even carry it in my pocket.

I have disabled the auto-unlock feature (doors unlock when shifting into Park). But my problem is auto-locking.

So I'm stumped. My doors just lock themselves (once in a great while) for no good reason I can think of.

DennisV, If I am missing something in the manual, could you please say what section/page you found it on?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by cwmacphail

May not be the most secure solution, but I keep a spare key in my fuel filler door. It wedges perfectly behind the metal support strap. I’ve avoided lockouts on multiple occasions.

Good idea. There are very hard-to-find places under the vehicle if you use a piece of wire. Inconvenient, but better if you rarely access it.

Magnetic key cases work well.

I had a spare key made that I keep in my wallet. It won't start the vehicle but will open the door. I have not Been locked out in the manner described.

Edited by Glidedon

I asked my dealer about it and he didn't know anything about it and mine has done it too. Me personally keep my keys in my pocket

I found that I was getting locked out when I would get out of the van and come back and it would lock. Ofcourse I would look to blame my wife. :0)

But alas.....it was me locking it manually with my hand when I would open the door. I will have to find something else to blame her for.

Also if you unlock the doors and don't open a door it will re-lock itself after a short time.