Sign in to follow this  
MrOlaf

Buying NV passenger, how much should I pay / any tips on negotiating price?

The dealer is tracking down the van we want, we are looking at the 2013 NV V8 SL in the blue color.  The price he started off at was in the ballpark of what KBB said we should pay.  It's the price of the "dealers invoice" which I really don't understand.  Regardless should I be looking to get the van for less or something?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

The dealer is tracking down the van we want, we are looking at the 2013 NV V8 SL in the blue color.  The price he started off at was in the ballpark of what KBB said we should pay.  It's the price of the "dealers invoice" which I really don't understand.  Regardless should I be looking to get the van for less or something?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Suffice it to say you should not pay his first offer.

There's currently a $1k cash rebate on the 2013s -- it's been in place since late last year -- so you shouldn't be paying any more than $1000 under invoice (see edmunds.com for invoice price for the setup you're looking for).

MO, you should be paying ~$1500 under invoice: $1k for the rebate, and $500 under that. I had a fleet manager offer me $1400 under invoice for an SL when I was in the market back in mid-January, here's the price breakdown per invoice:

2013 NV PASS SL V8 3500 AUTO

RAQ-C

GRAPHITE BLUE , BEIGE

BASE  

$35,448

FL3  CARPETED FLOOR MA

$64

FL4  REAR CARPET FLOOR

$119

SGD  SPLASH GUARDS

$116

TE2  TECHNOLOGY PACKAG

$738

TOW  TOW PACKAGE

$399

50S   50 STATE EMISSION  

$0

Destination & Handling Charge  

$995

Total Invoice

$37,879

OFFER: $36,479.00 Plus tax and license

Edited by fallingovertwice

Thanks for the replies, I haven't signed anything yet but I know I want it.  I'm just not a good haggler.  He gave me a price of invoice and that $1000 rebate you spoke of.  I'll see if I can squish an extra $500 out of him.  I'm trading in my 2007 Sante Fe (I know you get less for trade ins) but he offered me 6,800 for the Sante Fe which isn't too bad in my eyes as the vehicle runs great but stupid shit has been breaking on it e.g. Fuel Sensor, 12V outlet covers, handle for the storage in the trunk, the plastic that connects the gas cap tether broke, the metal "flap" that the gas pump pushes out of the way when filling is missing somehow, the driver sunvisor falls down.  Annoying shit basically broke, which he can deal with.  I'm thinking of mentioning that my Sante Fe just got 4 new tires in Nov and it has an aftermarket car starter to see if i can get close to that extra $500 off.  Thanks fallingovertwice!

Definately, Edmunds.com has the good advice.

If they are giving you a deal on the SF then that would be coming out of the better price you could haggle down to. You should not pay any dealer hold back as well. If there is that line on the sales paperwork then call them on it and pay little to none of it.

good luck.

I closed the deal with $1000 plus an extra $500 off the dealer invoice.  He also threw in the rear carpeted floor mats.  What is dealer hold back?  If it's like money down so i don't screw him and not buy the vehicle he mentioned it but ended up trusting me without any money down.