Davy_tibbs

P0448 code

so like a week ago my engine lite came on. I pulled the code P0448 EVAP solenoid short. 

took it in to the STEALER to have it looked at thinking that it would be covered under warranty ..

not he case. they said that the have to change the filler hose complete assembly $340... doesn't make sense.

anyone else have this issue?

I have 78000 KM ( Canada) as much as I love this van I hope this is not the start of the problems.. I have had GMC savana for the last 12 years and I switched because of the on going problems...

any help?

Did they say why it's not covered by warranty?

Was it due to your mileage?

yeah bumper to Bumper ended at 60,000 km. I thought that it might be covered be emission's warranty but nope! 

well update.. I left the light on for about 2 weeks. (being cheap) and low and behold it went out and hasn't come on since.. so either it fixed itself... or.... the light burnt out haha

$1000.00 Dollars of your money.  I am satisfied with my 2012 Nissan NV 2500 HD at 98,000KM.  They manufactured a great van to show what the market has been asking for.  But, I just when to the stealership to get a synthetic oil change because I plan on keeping it for a long time.  Also, my Check Engine Light / Service Engine Soon (CEL/SES) was on and they replaced the gasoline filler vent tube for around $400.00 a few days later once the part came in.  The technitian told me it was the third filler tube he's replaced on NVs  Later that day I fueled up and it was difficult to fill as usual.  As I drive away I noticed the CEL/SES light was back on again.  Back to the stealership.  Now they tell me the EVAP Canister, filter, and Vent Valve needs replacing at another $600.00.  So I get on the internet and many people are getting the same service charges.  Nissan has a problem with the fuel venting (emmission control) on many of their NVs and Titans, and they know it.  They need to recall with maybe a modified extended vent tube so it breaths cleaner air than what the rear wheel well (present location) has to offer. 

To follow up on Davy_tibbs post.  My CEL/SES was intermittent also in the past.  I'm cheap also.  My light came on later and stayed on.  Manufacturers install the best lifetime lightbulb on the CEL/SES .  That bulb never burns out.  After the waranties you have to put tape on it like Homer Simpson does. :-)      

Edited by Vansrule

I'm new to the site. I've had the same issue with my NV 2500. I have numerous calls to Nissan saying that it is a RECALL problem. They said no it is not. But if it does become a warranty issue. I can get my $500 dollars back. Lol

Doesn't this fall under the 5 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper or the even longer emission warranty. It is part of the emission system with the carbon canister.

Are they claiming its a wear and tear item? I believe only the brakes, tires and battery are the only things considered wear and tear.

Rick.

My NV now has popped the P0448 code. I thought it was the dirt I drive through daily. On my Nissan Frontiers I have had the same problem and ended up moving the canister filter to a new location via a long hose. Will try it on this

I ordered parts today but still need to get a long hose. Basically what Im doing is taking the vent hose from the wheel well, (stupid place to put it) and running it all the way forward to the engine compartment so it sucks air from the intake airbox. That way the purge valve and solenoid vales dont get filled full of dirt every 16/20k miles

We had the same problem. Wait awhile (depends on start/stop engine cycle) and the check engine light will turn off. Cured?

If you have remaining warranty, all of the above is covered. If you have a documented history of Nissan trying to fix this, you have a shot at appealing to Commercial customer service to cover your out of pocket $.

It is not covered by the Nissan or federal emissions warranty, unless...you fail your state’s emissions test. You have to wait until the check engine light goes off (cured?) since they won’t do the test with it on. Federal standards imply it should then be covered for 80k? (Check the Manual.) You most likely will have to contact Commercial customer services to get it fixed for free. Not likely.

None of this should be a problem for those with the 5 year/100k warranty.

Edited by radin2son

I learned this from the Nissan dealer here with my Frontier that had the same problem. My past Frontiers were fixed like this after 3 returns under warrantee. By the time i get to a commercial dealer several hundred miles away several times and buy the gas, time and room it would be cheaper to fix it myself and be done. What most dealers do is blow out the dirt and clear the code anyways. This is not limited to Nissan either, my Toyota did the same thing and my son’s Ram as well. The evap systems on these vehicles are designed for mostly pavement street use. My NV has less than 20k and is under warratee but Ill do this one.

The good news is that this code can be ignored and you can drive on. We have since been on dusty, muddy roads and it hasn’t come back.

Good reason to have an obd scanner that store and erase codes. Auto parts stores can only tell you what the code is, not delete it.

Whoa!! Full of DIRT!! Purge vlv, sloenoid vent vlv, HOSES and evap canister ALL FULL of DIRT, DIRT and once I got that all out, DIRT came out!!!

The fender well is a STUPID place for a vent especially if you live 25 miles from pavement. This NV has less than 20k on the ODO. These pics show where the vent will be moved to.

post-1590-0-53196200-1511989996_thumb.jpeg

post-1590-0-88006900-1511990012_thumb.jpeg

The company I work for has 4 NV2500 trucks and 2 of them are having issues while fueling. No codes as of yet, but it takes a long time to fill the tank. I need to clean the evap canister, but dont have a manual to locate it. Is it in the wheel well where the filler tube is?

Your problem is not related to the P0488 code.  Your issue is fairly common and it has to do with the shape of the filler tube to the tank.  Easiest way around it is to not fill at full speed, keep it around halfway.  Also play with angle of gas nozzle.  

I only get the issue randomly and it is worse with some station nozzles vs. others but it is a common complaint.

On our last trip on dusty gravel roads, the check engine light came on. OBD showed the code and cost ($0) to fix this apparent selfhealing sensor.

I cleared the code thinking all was well. Not so; I also ran the quick emissions test and it failed even though the check engine light was off. I repeated this over time and continued to fail. On our last trip on pavement, it passed. The self-healing must be related to a set number of on/off ignition cycles... Could it be wind turbulence in the wheel well?

I agree with Bamps. “STUPID place...”

When you replace the solenoid valve, run a 5/8” hose from it to a fitting (you’ll need to get) on the engine compartment air intake box. (Where your air filter is)

Try driver’s side of the gas tank. There are Titan videos on line. Doubt Nisssn would be imaginative enough to come up with another placement on NVs.

There also are videos on cleaning them. Just google cleaning evap canisters.

Just in front of you driver’s rear tire. I would pull the solenoid vlv and replace it too and pull a 5/8” hose all the way to airbox on driver side engine compartment. Where I live on dirt roads, these things will pop P0448 every 15-20k until its switch to vent in airbox. Same with my Frontier, same with Titans, Xterras, Pathfinders etc., even Toyota Tacomas

Edited by Bamps

Turbone is looking for the evap canister...

I hope you found it, but it is directly behind the filler tube if you follow it down. It will be behind the gas tank, toward the rear of the vehicle on the drivers side. PG 107 in the Body Builders Guide shows the evap. canister.

The company I work for has 4 NV2500 trucks and 2 of them are having issues while fueling. No codes as of yet, but it takes a long time to fill the tank. I need to clean the evap canister, but dont have a manual to locate it. Is it in the wheel well where the filler tube is?

CEL threw  P0448 a little while ago.  Van drives on dirt often.   I looked into it under the van and can definitely see the issue with the vent location. 

I wanted to hear how Nissan is approaching the issue so I took it to the dealership.  They don't seem very aware of anything, would not discuss the issue with me and want $140 to "diagnose" the issue I already clearly explained to them, including showing them the bulletin on it.   I'm going to go ahead and let them do that just to see what they say; I always try to go with factory fixes before diy.   

Has anyone found the factory recommended repairs (assuming they will want to replace tube assy-filler, canister, etc.) to be durable?   

Update.  Dealer recommends:

SES REPAIR FOR P0448

FUEL TUBE (17221-1PA0C)

CANISTER (14950-7500A)
VENT VALVE (14935-JF01C)
FILTER (14953-1LA0A)
TOTAL PARTS AND LABOR $1350

They find this repair to last maybe 40k or so. 

Sounds logical enough although I'm not sure why the filler tube needs replacing v cleaning. 
I'm definitely going to move the vent hose to a cleaner location alongside this repair, great recommendation @Bamps.  No sense in paying that all over again.

Edited by WanderlustAV