Backfire1

Disappointing Gas Mileage

I now have 18,000 miles.  I took the ladder racks off about 2000 miles ago.  My mileage went up approximately 1 MPG.  I still have poor gas mileage.  My fuely app is telling me that my average is 12.4 MPG and my best tank is 13.7 MPG.  Just wanted to update others who might be looking at a NV 1500.  I will also add that I have had no problems with the van.  The only thing I have done is change the oil and rotate the tires.

Just getting caught back up to speed with this thread.

My 3500 v8 high roof nv is averaging anywhere from the mid 5's to mid7's not once have I broke the 200 mile range with 24-25 gallons of fuel.

Waiting on many issues with Nissan to help resolve and mileage is 1 of them. Im carrying approx 2000# full time. My city driving is 75% and highway is 25%.

My original 1999 w4500 chevy tilt cab with 14, 000# on it was getting better mileage with a much bigger body and payload. Same route in the same exact neighborhood.

Rick.

Hey Bac

I now have 18,000 miles.  I took the ladder racks off about 2000 miles ago.  My mileage went up approximately 1 MPG.  I still have poor gas mileage.  My fuely app is telling me that my average is 12.4 MPG and my best tank is 13.7 MPG.  Just wanted to update others who might be looking at a NV 1500.  I will also add that I have had no problems with the van.  The only thing I have done is change the oil and rotate the tires.

Backfire- 

I have a 2500 Hi-Top V-6 with 6K miles. I carry almost no weight. Broke the 300 mile-on-a-tank barrier my last fill-up. MPG was the best I’ve had at 13.4. Like you I expected better mileage, and like you, am very happy with the van. I do about 60/40 city/hiway and don’t race to red lights or jump off the line at green lights. However,  I drive too fast on the highway: 65+ to 80. I’m going to stay below 65 this tankful and see what I get. 

BTW, I’ve never seen 13+ MPG in any of my work vans, so I figure I’m ahead!

Hi Backfire1

If fuel mileage is important to you, the time to find out about such issues is BEFORE you buy!

I did vanguy and was lied to by the Dealership

I did vanguy and was lied to by the Dealership

I recently completed a 3700 mile round trip from Arroyo Grande, CA to South Padre Island, TX.  My NV 1500 was loaded with 2 windsurf boards, 5 sails, 4 masts, 2 large bins holding all my fins, wetsuits etc, 1 mountain bike, two coolers, suitcases and an interior platform  that I made out of 1.5 inch pvc pipe with a matress on top for sleeping while traveling.  I kept records of every fill up.  If I kept the van to 65 mph, I consistently got 22+ mpg.  When crossing a lot of Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph, my gas mileage dropped to 18 mpg.  All of this was freeway driving, only stopping to get gas every 400 miles or so. My 2014 van now has 26,000 miles and have had zero problems.  The only thing I have changed on it was having a side window installed in the sliding door to increase visibility when backing up.  Just thought I would give another perspetive on gas mileage.  Around town, real stop and go condtions, I only get 15-16 mpg.

Update.   I have 36000 miles.   Van has been great no problems except for a broken windshield washer pump.  Gas milage has been the same no major changes there and didn't expect any.  I think one thing to take into consideration is how much weight we carry.  I have the shelves full of equipment and tools.  So I am probably carrying at least 1500 #'s.  In the end I am happy with my purchase and plan on running van for at least 100,000 miles.  Hope this helps others as I did not have the resources available to me  when I purchased my van.  I think one guy on here might have posted about his milage but his milage is unique to him because the rest of us poor guys have to deal with the poor gas milage that this van gives us.

The main problem with posting disappointing mpg under NV 1500 is that it only comes with a V6. Axulsuv (NV 1500) and Mahu (NV 2500) both have/had V6 NVs.

V8 mpg seems to be a consistent 12-14 combined and 9-10 city.

Boy, did I miss the point on my post. This started as a NV 1500 post and I along with other interlopers added V8 info.

To make it easier for new buyer research, it may be best to start separate V6 and V8 topics under Lounge - Nissan NV. Then I can keep my posts straight...

Edited by radin2son

My guess is a combo of stop and go driving on the v6. I bet a long highway trip it would be better. It's a lot of weight for any engine to move, toss on an extra 3/4 of a ton and it's a huge amount of weight.

I have the V8 3500 sl and I averaged about 15 on a road trip with under 3000 miles on the car. I get about 12 around town. I have the same trip coming up over the summer, I'll check my mileage again. I stopped so I would worry about it. It's not a huge deal to me, I love the van.

My NV doesnt get that bad of gas mileage at all. I get about 16 on mine. (At least before i put the biggertires)

We drive big heavy boxes but I do wish it was a little better for mileage.  I used to get 13-14 easily in mixed driving.  Added AT tires and roof rack and now get 12-ish mixed.  Even on the highway I only get 12 maybe 13 but that is with cruise set at 70 mph.  I can live with the MPG but the tank is so small my range is around 300 miles on good tanks which makes for way too many gas fill ups. 

People have asked if the Bully Dog, air intakes or the free airbox mod does anything for MPG.  Nope.  There is no magic bullet.  What the BD and other things DO help with are drive-ability and a bit more power.  Whenever I need to uninstall the BD for service work it shocks me how my NV drives stock and I cant wait to get the tune back.  

I have 280,000 miles on my 2012 nv2500 and I would say I average about 15-16. My van, hauling no freight, weighs around 7,000 pounds. Best gas milage ive seen is about 19...according to the computer. v6 engine.

Original owner? If not, doesn't really matter. That is a lot of miles. Since you don't mention any problems, that is a lot of trouble free miles. You may have the most miles of anyone on this forum.

What do you use your van for?

Original owner? If not, doesn't really matter. That is a lot of miles. Since you don't mention any problems, that is a lot of trouble free miles. You may have the most miles of anyone on this forum.

What do you use your van for?

No, not the original owner. Im the third owner, but its been used for over the road expedite freight hauling from day one. I would estimate %95 of the miles are all highway. Its been very well taken care of. Always synthetic oil changes and changed religiously.The Sprinter and now Transits and Promasters are the more popular vans for what I do, but the other guys ive talked to with the same van are saying around 400-500,000 is the usual mark for a major break down, if taken care of.

I measured 17.7 MPG on my 2018 NV1500 V6 over 9000 miles - rural with @2000 city.

My 2008 Savana V6 got 18.7 MPG over 9 years.

Attribute the difference to +500 lbs weight on the NV1500.

Both were light loaded with just a driver.

I;m very pleased with the solid NV.