Sign in to follow this  
jimgoings

Upgrade firmware on Audio/Nav unit?

I get weird bugs with the OEM tech package stereo.  iPhone not being recognized sometimes, inability to pause a track (it will just unpause it for you within 3 seconds), and other issues related to using the USB port with iPhones.

Anyone know who makes the head unit and if there is a way to upgrade the firmware on it (perhaps via the SD card or USB port)?

What version of the Connect software do you have?  The latest NAV maps are dated 2014 v5.  I bought a 2014 that still have the 2012 v4 maps, and the dealer gave me the newest sd card since it was supposed to have it. 

I watched the upgrade screen, there are separate screen, navigation, and main software areas.  But only the navigation area updated for me.  I could be wrong, but I swear the GPS is more 3D than before and seems to work great.  There were no updates to other areas of the system.

You can order the updated maps through Nissan for $149 if you have the older maps...but in 2 years...2012 v4 to 2014 v5, they only updated the Navigation portion.

USB iPhone port problems are very common, on our Mazda CX-5 they don't work at all...takes like 5 minutes and always starts at first song.  I suggest using the AUX port.  I just wish we had Streaming Bluetooth, the salesman told me it did (it doesn't)...

The 2015 NVs will have the newer Nissan Connect series with a larger 5.6" screen, with full Bluetooth streaming and APPs...like the system on the Rogue and Sentra I believe...

I too am having issues with my brand new 2014 3500 that's 7 days old. i even contacted nissan commercial today and they checked into my issues and called me back. my sd card is from 2012 too. nissan rep told me the newest one that have out is from 12/13. so go back to the dealer and have them swap it out. 

yesterday i took a 250 round trip from la to san diego and was on the phone a good portion of the time. lots of phone issues. everyone mentioned the blue tooth connection sounded terrible. i heard them fine yet they all said my side was a poor connection or tinny. 

while on the phone via bluetooth. i couldn't get the map screen to come back on. even pushing the map button or nav button while taliking. all i saw was the callers number and elapsed time. when i received a call, it only showed their number, not their name , even though they are in my phone book. 

the gps is terrible. what modern gps doesn't tell you the street name to turn onto? mine just  tells me right turn in 1000', just a  waste of $1000.00 to get a very poor and very dated entertainment center. 

between the gps, mapping and bluetooth nissan should be embarrassed in what they install in these vans. heck my phone has a much better gps along with my 2013 chevy traverse. plus no one complains when i talk to them from my chevy and the maps are much better with more detail , lane guidance, points of interest and it doesn't drop the map when i;m on the phone. plus it has caller id along with a much better all around screen. 

is mine a lemon or are all of these entertainment centers this bad? 

They're all this bad.  I had a Quest before and it's Nav, Bluetooth, and Stereo were much, much better.  I dumped my head unit for a JVC.  Bluetooth still sucks, my hunch is that this thing is just too darn big.  I bought another Jawbone to leave in the van.  The Nav is a tremendous improvement.

Having the nav is nice vs using a phone, but most of the radio features suck. I dislike that i cannot completely turn it off. I hate the display at night, as it ruins my night vision.

The head unit in my tech package is a Bosch unit. And there are controls to dim it.

We had to swap out the usb harness on our 2014 NV. All the iPhone features work well now.

If you are thinking to replace your stereo with another, check this guide. It will provide you a complete information on stereos.