Sign in to follow this  
sailorboy

Nail in Tire of New NVP

Took delivery of new van in North Myrtle Beach last Wednesday, and drove it home to Virginia. The NV had only been at the dealership and on the road to VA. While wiping the highway bugs off spotted a nail in rear passenger tire. Actually the fastener looks like a screw with a flat nail head and is about 3/4 inch long.It was in the meat of the tire tread. Dealer says the screw has nothing to do with a vehicle, just my dumb luck to find it on I-95. I have been checking tire pressure daily...no leak. I made the mistake of telling wife. She is worried to death. Do any of you think this is cause for alarm? Most of our miles will be on highway between VA and SC. Will be towing boat from time to time.

Dealers will sell you NVs and tires, but do they fix flats? I don't know how far away you are from this dealer, but a referral to the tire shop they use would have made this a better experience. You wouldn't have bothered to post this.

Even though it does not leak air after you pulled out the screw, I would go to a tire store and have them see if it leaks. It may not have gone all the way through since you have new tires. If it did, they can patch it. If it continues to hold air, but you don't trust it, it will become your spare. Then you get to deal with the TPMS. Hope you have an air compressor to be able to deal with the secret code, handshake etc.

Edited by radin2son

I would definitely have a tire shop look at it. When under load anything could happen. Even if you have to pay $20.00 - 30.00 to have it patched it would be worth it compared to what might happen if it blows out at 65 mph while towing.