Sign in to follow this  
andy_george

New NVP SL in Michigan

Hello Everyone. We are the proud new owners of a 2014 Nissan NV Passenger SL. Silver, with splash guards and the wiring needed for towing. Installed a set of 17” chromed aluminum wheels from Tirerack.com, and have a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContact snow tires that will be put on the stock wheels when the snow flies here in Michigan.

Also had a custom pinstripe put on it, and a stainless Flowmaster exhaust tip from Jegs. I'd like to put a big aux. driving light in the hole in the bumper soon. That's all I plan to do with it....looks special, but not over-done.

We've got 3 girls, and another little lady on the way, due in January. Not a huge family, but we have a big extended family and often have a couple ride-alongs.

We sold a 2004 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer conversion van to buy the NV . It had 118,000 miles on it. It was a good van, everything from Explorer was perfect the whole time. Some of the GM pieces were disappointing..... the 60/40 door hinges were always needing lubrication, some little bits needed to be replaced, and then a few things that a van that “young” shouldn't have needed like 3 wheel bearings, new water pump, had to rebuild the transmission, had an AC line wear through, etc. Nothing unheard of, but I prefer rock-solid dependabilty of many of the Japanese makers.

First impressions of the NV.... checking the underbody, it's extremely rugged. The brakes are huge, the front suspension is very beefy, I like that the Tranny and power steering have coolers, the steering is greasless but a strong looking recirculating-ball setup. All the doors close with a solid “thud”. Sliding door is very nice. Floor height is a little high, but makes for a nice view. Steering and handling are very good for something this big. Wife was amazed at the brakes and low-end quickness compared to our old van with the 5.3l. Interior wind noise is a little louder than the old van, but Explorer adds a lot of sound deadening, especially in the roof. The NV roof is quite Tinny sounding.

I like that the NV has most of what we need, nothing we don't. I prefer that to most of todays vehicles that have every option from just 5 years ago standard, and an option list that could choke a horse.

Things I'm bummed about.... can't stream music without a cord. Not a huge deal. Can't turn on the rear dome lights from the drivers area....that stinks. Front seats aren't quite as comfy as the Flexsteel seats in the old van. Still very nice though.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I love talking autos, and we are extremely happy with our latest purchase!

-Andy

post-836-0-91140200-1411480782_thumb.jpg

Welcome.  

I don't own an NV yet, but am considering it.  Please make sure you stop in and let us know how life with the NV is, good or bad.  Owner's experience is always appreciated.

Unfortunately, traffic at this website isn't very strong... i'm guessing because people don't have many problems with their NV to complain about.   :)

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

I am in west Michigan and have done the worst winter in years (last year_) with just the firestone tires and got along fine.

My wife has Blizzak Tires for winter on her van. Those are the best tires I have used in the winter.

My summer car uses the continetal tires.

logo_continental.gifExtremeContact DW 

A couple of changes are going to be made this spring to the Van that you elaborated on:

A dash switch for the rear lights (and change to LED)

A dash switcht that kills the radio completely. The display is annoying while driving in the dark

Get used to the winter ice on the bumper setting off the proximity alert system.

4 boys and a big dog take up the interior when it is not being used to haul my tools and stuff.

Cheers!

Hey noeffinmini4me,

You're in west michigan!? Heck, swing by the Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville and get yourself some of our cinnamon roasted almonds! We have a store there for the Christmas season....

Love the van. Nearly 7000 miles in under 4 months. My 5'6"/120 pound wife loves seeing peoples faces when she jumps out of the drivers seat to unload the girls!

The light from the radio hasn't bugged me too much. The sonar does seem easily affected by a few snow flakes, but I'd assume that's true with any sonar system? I've got LEDs through the cab..... Love the switch. Bright, clear white up front and in the doors, red through the rest of the cabin. The kids can see fine with the red, and it's not annoying to the driver at all.

I guess I didn't give the stock firestones a chance in the snow. I've got a very bad habit of buying a winter wheel/tire set before I even have the vehicle. Drives the wife crazy:)

I almost forgot about this post.

Do you have just roasted almonds available?

Looking to go over to Hudsonville to get some honey and then wanted some almonds and pecans

for making a Porter beer.

The beer sounds yummy! We do also have pecans, but we are only in the mall with our kiosk Nov.-early January. Next winter!