Sign in to follow this  
Chris Dempsey

Soon-to-be NV owner

Hey all- I'm hoping to get some advice. I'll be purchasing an NV2500 SV high-roof within the next week or so. My question: should I get the Nav/Bluetooth option, or do something aftermarket? Also, does anyone know if the 5-year/100K bumper-to-bumper applies to the 2013 NV?

Thanks,

Chris

You need to purchase a 2014 for that warranty.  You'll be receiving a 3/36k "basic" warranty.  FYI, most manufacturers have done away with the term "bumper to bumper".

Also, with my customers I usually advise to go factory nav for the fit and finish, and the ability to have it serviced at the dealership in the event of a problem.  The bluetooth is a no brainer in my opinion, it is a nice system and while my experience with it is limited it does function as it should and is easy to operate.  Hopefully an owner will chime in that's spent tons of time with the system.

Even though they are going the way of the dino a garmin is always a good cheap nav fix.

Good Luck!!

Chris

Edited by Chris_CommercialManager

I found the factory Nav and Bluetooth to be awful compared to the one that was in my Quest. 

I replaced the head unit with a JVC KW-NT810-HDT and the Nav is better but the Bluetooth is still awful. 

I found the factory Nav and Bluetooth to be awful compared to the one that was in my Quest. 

I replaced the head unit with a JVC KW-NT810-HDT and the Nav is better but the Bluetooth is still awful. 

Hey matt, what was bad about the bluetooth if you don't mind me asking.  I too have had the same experience with most aftermarket bluetooths.  I've done up a whole bunch of my cars and put in plenty of high end pioneer and kenwood units over the recent years.  They've been ok at best, always seem to have microphone or background noise problems.  

My hunch is that the speaker is just too far away.  No one could hear me on it unless I craned my neck and shouted into it.  That might be my problem with the JVC as well.  The JVC mic is mounted near the door at eye level.  Maybe this thing is just too darned big.  I have great success with both my plantronics and jawbone ERA headsets so I'll stick with those. 

My hunch is that the speaker is just too far away.  No one could hear me on it unless I craned my neck and shouted into it.  That might be my problem with the JVC as well.  The JVC mic is mounted near the door at eye level.  Maybe this thing is just too darned big.  I have great success with both my plantronics and jawbone ERA headsets so I'll stick with those. 

That's funny you mention that.  I don't have bluetooth in my car that I use regularly.  I went to best buy and dropped a bunch of money into an expensive jawbone about a year back (don't remember which one) and always had people complaining of background noise.  The only thing that seems to work well for me is wired headsets.  I hate that they always get tangled and it's a pain, but it's better than talking to people that can't understand what I'm saying.  I have yet to use the bluetooth in the truck while it's moving but at least at idle I've done some calling and I've been impressed.  Maybe I will take one out today and give it a shot to see what people say.

Hey all-

I ended up purchasing a 2014 NV2500 SV with the factory Nav/Bluetooth and am glad I chose the factory unit. Since my previous vehicle, an E-250, and my wife's car, a 2005 Honda CR-V don't have any "newfangled" technology, I didn't realize what I was missing. I really appreciate all the features of this technology- especially the Navigation. I have no idea how I ever found my way before!

Since I haven't had much experience with this technology, I can't make a head-to-head comparison between systems and I kno w there are

aftermarket systems that have the same functionality, but as Chris says above, the seamless fit and finish along with factory warranty go a long way towards justifying the price.