Sign in to follow this  
swinks

10 ply winter tires

Anyone been able to get around the 10 ply winter tire situation. I want a studded winter tire but the options are slim and $$$ in a 10 ply. Its winter, I wont be towing, hauling, simply driving to and from work.

I had the same issue. I have ordered tons of tires from tirerack.com, winter and summer, in the past. So I went to their site, registered my new NVP, and went looking. Anything in the 10 ply was either a 10 year old tire design or super expensive. So I had the same thought you did..... I won't be anywhere near max payload or towing during the winter, so I'll get an 8 ply tire, save some money, and get a superior product.

2 days after I placed the order a salesman from tirerack calls. He says "we can't sell you that tire". I was like "huh?!". Long story short, he said it didn't meet the weight specs of the original tire, and since I registered my NV on their site, they couldn't legally sell it. My defense was " so if I buy this tire, overload it, have a blowout, and hit a tree, they could be held liable. But if I was to buy a crappy all-season, run it in the winter, slide off the road and hit a tree, your hands are clean?"

He laughed and was like, "yeah, it's wierd how that works, isn't it?" He was super cool and knew exactly what I was getting at, we actually had some pretty cool tire-talk. He suggested I go back to their site and order again, but don't list my vehicle, it was that easy.

I wanted to stick to the stock size, but the load ratings of the selections were lower than even I felt comfortable with. I ended up going with the Continental extreme winter contact. New design, gets great results from tirerack tests, and good reviews. I went up in size, though, to a 265/70/17. That gave me a comfortable load rating around 2300 pounds per tire. I just bolted them on yesterday, so I haven't had them in snow yet. But they look big, mean, and should perform very well.

Edited by andy_george

I had the same issue. I have ordered tons of tires from tirerack.com, winter and summer, in the past. So I went to their site, registered my new NVP, and went looking. Anything in the 10 ply was either a 10 year old tire design or super expensive. So I had the same thought you did..... I won't be anywhere near max payload or towing during the winter, so I'll get an 8 ply tire, save some money, and get a superior product.

2 days after I placed the order a salesman from tirerack calls. He says "we can't sell you that tire". I was like "huh?!". Long story short, he said it didn't meet the weight specs of the original tire, and since I registered my NV on their site, they couldn't legally sell it. My defense was " so if I buy this tire, overload it, have a blowout, and hit a tree, they could be held liable. But if I was to buy a crappy all-season, run it in the winter, slide off the road and hit a tree, your hands are clean?"

He laughed and was like, "yeah, it's wierd how that works, isn't it?" He was super cool and knew exactly what I was getting at, we actually had some pretty cool tire-talk. He suggested I go back to their site and order again, but don't list my vehicle, it was that easy.

I wanted to stick to the stock size, but the load ratings of the selections were lower than even I felt comfortable with. I ended up going with the Continental extreme winter contact. New design, gets great results from tirerack tests, and good reviews. I went up in size, though, to a 265/70/17. That gave me a comfortable load rating around 2300 pounds per tire. I just bolted them on yesterday, so I haven't had them in snow yet. But they look big, mean, and should perform very well.

Pictures?

I just played ball and went with the 10 ply Michelin LTX Winter tires. So far so good. They ride nicely and show no wear after 1 season with about 12,000 miles on them...